I want to ride canals in Bangkok

Andy from Kent

The Missus and I will be spending a few days in Bangkok this coming week and I want to tour canals where possible.    I see there are organized tours available but I'm hoping for something a little less formalized.   

Any recommendations about how to go about doing this?

I suspect before too many more years many of the existing canals will be covered by high rises and I want to see them before they're all gone.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, champers said:

There was a good article in the BP travel section last Thursday which had some Bangkok canal travel info. I have binned the paper but if you look on BP website in the travel section you might find something to help you.

Thank you  champers.    I will try to find it.

Anyone else have some thoughts on canal travel in Bangkok?     

You can hire a private long tailed boat and tell the driver where you want to go. Most of the remaining canals are on the west bank, Thonburi side. 

Can get pretty hot so make sure you wear a hat.

Not so cheap but an interesting day out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pottinger said:

If you go to the landing stage nearest the Sanam Luang, Tha Chang is the name, you can take a public boat that goes up the river to Bangkok Noi tributary on the left, then all the way to Bang Yai in Nonthaburi. Thing is, you'll get lots of hassle from long-tail boat touts for a private hire, and the sign for the boat I'm talking about is in Thai only, or was twenty years ago when last I took it, so you may need your wife to assist. Used to cost only about 25 Baht back then. It's a fascinating jaunt through the backwaters, very picturesque, takes about a hour or so.

I think that service was discontinued several years ago as I enquired about it at Tha Chang and was informed of its demise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

I think that service was discontinued several years ago as I enquired about it at Tha Chang and was informed of its demise.

Pity, it was a great and inexpensive trip, but it would make sense that it's been cancelled now that the purple line goes out there. Perhaps there are other public services from there, apart from the Chao Phraya regular boat?

Don't do the tour boats on the river or canals.. That is kind of a ripoff.  Asok pier to Democracy is good and cheap, vor you can go to Ramhamkaeng the other way.  They just started electric boats from Thewes to Hualumpong.  I recommend the new double decker air conditioned pink boats on the river.  I think 30 per ride.. Try Sathorn to Nonthaburi... easy enough to take MRT back.. or even Bang Po.. the MRT is right by the pier, and it is a short walk to Gateway Mall, which is OK. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Thank you  champers.    I will try to find it.

Anyone else have some thoughts on canal travel in Bangkok?     

Did it one out of curiosity some years ago.  Lots of unkempt back yards & substandard architecture depending on water level/time of day re tides & river levels.  Interesting at first but how many does one need to see?  But glad I did it or it would have remained an unticked bucket list item

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

The Missus and I will be spending a few days in Bangkok this coming week and I want to tour canals where possible.    I see there are organized tours available but I'm hoping for something a little less formalized.   

I suspect before too many more years many of the existing canals will be covered by high rises and I want to see them before they're all gone.

Hire a long tail boat. i love them.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Did it one out of curiosity some years ago.  Lots of unkempt back yards & substandard architecture depending on water level/time of day re tides & river levels.  Interesting at first but how many does one need to see?  But glad I did it or it would have remained an unticked bucket list item

In my time in Thailand I've become used to the idea that some of it is beautiful while other parts are in need of serious attention.     My expectations are wide open.      I've now seen a few videos found with the help of some suggestions here and I know I'll be able to see some areas I wouldn't see while driving down the streets.

I came across this video that is intriguing and pretty much what I wanted to find. 

56 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Hire a long tail boat. i love them.

elgenon,    I would consider hiring  a  long tail but  I try to avoid getting into the haggling situation  such a thing would entail.      I have no idea if they want 1000 baht an hour or 5000?    I suspect they could be similar to the  jet ski vendors we all hear about in Pattaya but I really don't know.     

The whole caper now depends on the comfort level of the Missus and her concern about the lady  from the Myanmar hotel  spreading Covid in Thailand.     I told her I would honor her concerns if she doesn't feel comfortable about it.    

15 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

In my time in Thailand I've become used to the idea that some of it is beautiful while other parts are in need of serious attention.     My expectations are wide open.      I've now seen a few videos found with the help of some suggestions here and I know I'll be able to see some areas I wouldn't see while driving down the streets.

I came across this video that is intriguing and pretty much what I wanted to find. 

elgenon,    I would consider hiring  a  long tail but  I try to avoid getting into the haggling situation  such a thing would entail.      I have no idea if they want 1000 baht an hour or 5000?    I suspect they could be similar to the  jet ski vendors we all hear about in Pattaya but I really don't know.     

The whole caper now depends on the comfort level of the Missus and her concern about the lady  from the Myanmar hotel  spreading Covid in Thailand.     I told her I would honor her concerns if she doesn't feel comfortable about it.    

That Saen Saeb ride is like a taxi service from Ramkamheng in the east to Ratchadamnoen near the old city. Plenty of stops along the way as you would expect from a water bus. However, the scenery is not up to much , just the rear side of various buildings. Also, they often pull up a splash prove curtain along the side of the boat to keep the dirty klong water off the passengers.

A much prettier ride can be found out off the city along the Tha Chin river starting at Wat Lam Phaya floating market. Very pleasant with loads of food and rice 1 hour rice barge trips up or down the river. You buy anything you want to eat on the trip at the market then eat it at a table whilst heading down river to other temples. I used to take a bottle of wine down with me. Guaranteed 2.30 pleasure trip but only on weekends and idealy you need your own wheels to get there or an expensive taxi ride ( 500 baht ) .

Beautiful scenery all the way. Plenty of you tube videos.

Mind you....with Covid still around might be best to phone first to make sure still open.

I've done the trip many times and always enjoyed it.

Edited by Bangyai

20 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Veery easy and straight forward.

The biggest canal in Bangkok is

The Khlong Saen Saep boat service is a water bus operating on the Saen Saep Canal in Bangkok through the city's commercial districts. The Khlong Saen Saep boat service has been in operation since 1990.[1]

The 18 kilometre route is served by 100 boats of 40-50 seats. It operates from 05:30 to 20:30 daily on weekdays (to 19:00 on weekends). Prices are 8-20 baht, depending on distance traveled. The service carries about 60,000 passengers per day. It is run by a company called Family Transport.[2]

If you take the a/c bus (orange) No. 79 from Siam center,  (14 THB), it will take you to Thaling Chan floating market. A nice location to spend a couple of hours and to join a long tail boat tour for one hour (60 THB), together with Thai happy people, in the city on the canals. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

You should be able to for example hire a long tail boat that takes you a trip through some of the canals, it's actually a quite good ride that lasts about an hour.

wP6070016_Bangkok-klong.jpg.252f03ddbb0f622cbd429a6a5d7b1e10.jpg

When I did it with a friend we paid 1,500 baht for the tour, probably caused by a taxi-scam for getting a commission, as we wished to be taken to Wat Pho and Grand Palace, but the taxi driver said there was too much traffic, and suggested that we instead took a boat. So he just drove us to the river. We were actually very happy, because we wouldn't otherwise have got this interesting tour on the river and in some of the klongs, so even if the price we paid perhaps was in the higher turist price-range, we would anyway be happy to pay it for the amazing experience. And we of course ended up by Wat Pho...????

Jeff is spot on.. And I will add, that if you get off at the second to last stop to Democracy Monument, you are in the Mahanakorn area, which is very Thai and very upscale.  I discovered it because my bank branch closed... And it is a nice walk to KSR or Democracy, if that is what you want.  Also, that area between Democracy and the new MRT is also nice, and kind of Thai/Chinese with some great, cheap duck shops... places doing high volume, fresh food, and reasonable pricing. 

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 8:24 PM, Andy from Kent said:

As the Thais say: up to you. 555  Have fun my friend.