Current (2020) NES English teacher pay minimums

I'm aware that there is a certain pay required for companies in Thailand in order to secure work permits for their workers, and that this minimum wage is dependent upon nationality.  The document linked below (translated from the original Thai) indicates this.

http://www.thaiembassy.cz/uploads/download/EwgNBPpX8T2vY5jxRdR.pdf

However, it is unclear whether or not this applies to schools, and, in fact, it probably does not, as they are not "companies."  However, in standard practice, all schools seem to offer NES teachers from the five major English speaking countries a 30,000 baht a month minimum, and for teachers from Philippines a 20,000 baht minimum.

Is this practice based, in any respect, upon a Thai law or regulation?  If the school were a company, according to that regulation, teachers from the "big five" countries should be getting, not 30,000 baht, but 50,000 baht a month, and other nationalities also have higher pay than seems standard practice in Thailand.  But, if schools are exempt from any mandatory minimum wage for their foreign instructors, why do these 30k and 20k "standards" exist?

According to Ubonjoe, as of 2018, there was no minimum wage for foreigners; only a minimum salary to apply for an extension of stay based on working for a company:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1065909-minimum-wage-in-thailand-for-foreigners/#elControls_13514722_menu

However, looking over that regulation (the first link above), it seems unclear to me why this would not also apply to a school.  It's a lot of legalese, and perhaps someone can break it down and make it simpler to understand.

For the locals, it would appear that the minimum wages increased by a very nominal amount, beginning January 1 of 2020.  Here's another site supporting this.

https://gps-legal.com/business-advisory/how-thailands-minimum-wage-affects-foreign-employees/

Considering that some changes were put into effect this year, might there be any updates on the wages for foreigners as well?

"If the school were a company, according to that regulation, teachers from the "big five" countries should be getting, not 30,000 baht, but 50,000 baht a month"

No, because the ones who pay less don't want you to get an extension but get a new visa every year. If people want to work for only 30K per month up to them, must be pretty desperate though.

Foreign teachers are excluded from minimum wage.

Bottom salaries on Craigslist run as little as 20k. Suggest you aim a bit higher.

Good teachers can increase their salaries 15-20% from base of 35k every two years by jumping schools. I've more than doubled my salary in five years.

By end of first hop to 40-42k you will need to leave public school system. There is only one public secondary that pays 42.5k+. 

Language schools, online just for chancers. This is not teaching nor does it require a license.

Or you can sit up in Issarn and moan about why your awful little public school can't pay you more. 

Edited by BumpheadParrotfish

The salaries offered on CL are absolutely criminal. You've got to be either extremely naive or desperate to accept them.

Especially for Westerner female kindergarten and primary teachers. They could be getting 80k-100k, due to the demands of the job, and given their rarity. A bubbly, outgoing, reasonably attractive lady could do well in their own country, and would need compelling reasons to come here. You know they aren't the same as for us guys.

There's one agency who repeatedly puts on there, with ridiculous requirements and even more ridiculous English. I can only imagine what working for them is like.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, because the ones who pay less don't want you to get an extension but get a new visa every year.

We all had to start somewhere. I was in the 30k range at my first couple of schools. They all offered to renew my contracts and give me visa extensions.

Not patting myself on the back too much. We all know it's not really about the teaching at this level. But rather, the cut of your salary everyone is getting, which starts out as a lot more than 30k when it first comes down from the MOE.

That being said, I did see a few guys not make the cut, and a few other guys up and quit. I do pat myself on the back for lasting as long as I have through this trial by fire.

16 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. It's because teachers are not required to receive a minimum wage for a work permit.

Get your facts right before trying to put others down.

That is also true but doesn't make my statement false. I understand why you need to work for a minimum salary. Teachers who do have a degree and experience can earn well over 100K a month at an international school.

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

That is also true but doesn't make my statement false. I understand why you need to work for a minimum salary. Teachers who do have a degree and experience can earn well over 100K a month at an international school.

Very rare and dependent on where you live. The part of Thailand where I love to live and call my home does not have any international schools and I have no desire to move.

I have a degree and lots of experience. That does not mean I'm going to up sticks and live somewhere I don't want to live, even for 100k.

I have my own home, my family and my life where I am. Cost of living is very good and my salary, not minimum wage, is more than enough. 

I am happy where I am. It seems you are not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Very rare and dependent on where you live. The part of Thailand where I love to live and call my home does not have any international schools and I have no desire to move.

I have a degree and lots of experience. That does not mean I'm going to up sticks and live somewhere I don't want to live, even for 100k.

I have my own home, my family and my life where I am. Cost of living is very good and my salary, not minimum wage, is more than enough. 

I am happy where I am. It seems you are not.

I am very happy with what I do and what I get paid.

12 hours ago, doomsday said:

Hello,

Just wanted to find out what company you are working for to teach online and make more than 100000 Baht?

I have experience teaching online also.

Regards,

Michael

[email protected]

14 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Uh-huh. Are you that young British guy who keeps interrupting my YouTube music sessions, telling me I should give up teaching, as I could be making up to $20k a month online? ????

He interrupts me too

On 12/8/2020 at 8:24 AM, FritsSikkink said:

And a PGCE or they wont touch you. Also lots of thick skin because they work you to the bone