UK, EU leaders to meet face-to-face to try to seal Brexit trade deal

webfact

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

if I was in charge the ones responsible for signing up to get UK into the EU would be hung,  drawn and quartered .

Fair enough.

Pretty sure there must be some who which to hung, drawn, quartered the people who are responsible to get the U.K. out of the E.U..

Everything is relative.

• Haha 2

Just now, transam said:

Nor do I, but my country is still my country. ????

That is your problem. People tend to speak of countries as if they were individuals, the UK decided this, France did that, Germany has an efficient industrial base etc. when in fact they are more like a large company with a huge number of employees.

There is a company structure with CEO's in charge, corporate identity, the employee has his designated place and is expected to try and achieve the company goals within the framework of hierarchy, it is artificial and has only economic meaning. When the employee goes home the family structure is important, not the company goals, the family structure ie individualism and personal goals are organic and therefore longer lasting and more valid. In, for eg, WW1 a French baker had no personal desire to kill a German baker and vice versa but the CEO's have economic and physical powers far greater than your private employee goals and so the sheep walk almost voluntarily to the slaughter house to achieve the company goals. The CEO can of course go to far and out comes the guillotine, the employees strike.

The system though is so arranged that nothing much changes, a new CEO, new goals, a new corporate identity and the sheep are happy again.

I am like a shy pony, I won't let myself be ridden, I buck, shake and pull, often to my own disadvantage but here I am, no allegiance, no motherland, no Vaterland but I have a private love of different places with memories and goals that were/are mine, Helsinki where I had an intense love affair, Munich and Fuestenfeldbruck where I spent the best years of my life, Friborg in Switzerland where I had some wonderful companions and smoked my first joint etc. Nowhere do I have a love of a state as such, nor would I sacrifice myself for an ideal, smoke and mirrors.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, transam said:

I am related to Edward III........????

He had a French mother, you could possibly get yourself a French passport as long as they have forgotten about the 100 years war, could come in useful when Brexit goes tits up.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, luckyluke said:
1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

if I was in charge the ones responsible for signing up to get UK into the EU would be hung,  drawn and quartered .

Fair enough.

Pretty sure there must be some who which to hung, drawn, quartered the people who are responsible to get the U.K. out of the E.U..

Everything is relative.

Hanged

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

well this is a debate, you can just tell us exactly what you mean on this issue of brexiteer retirees who don't care because they made their career during 47 years of prosperous "European Union slavery" while imposing hardships now on the young generation in the name of "let's ditch the economy, we will have freedom".

Anyway we are all ears

As a pensioner and an ardent remainer I am gutted for all my kids.....heart broken.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, vogie said:

You were the one that brought the Three Muskiteers into it.

and when did I do/say something like that, it appears you don't know the meaning of the terms used, did you try google, that's a good help for the slow ones

Edited by Mavideol
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Germanic ancestry yes, genetic testing in the UK found that the English have more genetic similarity with the Germans than they do with the Welsh or the Scots but I doubt most of us have royal connections.

What would you expect if you have a royal family, which actually is German.

I remember Prince Harry showed his German ancestry a couple of years ago, in a now infamous news story

https://www.history.co.uk/shows/al-murray-why-does-everyone-hate-the-english/articles/the-german-kings-and-queens-of-england

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

It also work for the current negotiations: each time the EU gives 1M the UK has to reciprocate with more or less the same 1M

....but it represents 6 times that amount as a % of the UK Gross domestic product (GDP).

Another (wonderful) thing about the UE is we have spent years developing mutually beneficial synergies for our members.

For example, in exchange for some cod fishing quotas, Barnier is able to trade access to our European energy market 

this is of considerable value as it lowers the energy bill of the UK (and The fishing industry employs 12,000 people, while the energy sector supports 768,000 jobs), while this big gift costs the EU ... nothing.

It helps understand why Boris is jumping on the plane to Brussels now, it's christmas soon and a visit to Santa is in order

image.thumb.png.3c75ed737658a9da5a3254256851a666.png

So your just another French person like Macron who hates the the UK so why did EU want us to stay Mr French Guru.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

well this is a debate, you can just tell us exactly what you mean on this issue of brexiteer retirees who don't care because they made their career during 47 years of prosperous "European Union slavery" while imposing hardships now on the young generation in the name of "let's ditch the economy, we will have freedom".

Anyway we are all ears

It was you who included my name with your comment of "retirees who don't care". Neither applies to me so I am asking you to stop making things up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

What would you expect if you have a royal family, which actually is German.

I remember Prince Harry showed his German ancestry a couple of years ago, in a now infamous news story

https://www.history.co.uk/shows/al-murray-why-does-everyone-hate-the-english/articles/the-german-kings-and-queens-of-england

I see nothing infamous in this, what is the royal family to me, nothing, as far as I'm concerned they could put a pair of Barbary apes on the throne. Why call the queen German, she is British, she was born and raised in England, her ancestors have nothing to do with the matter, go far enough back and you may find your family came from Saxony would that make you German? The English are a mongrel race anyway and eventually we all came from Africa.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So your just another French person like Macron who hates the the UK

Macron probably does not appreciate Boris, and neither do I (see below)

Now, arguably, I care for the young brits and for the UK more than you do.

so why did EU want us to stay Mr French Guru.

While I did not personally want the UK to remain a full EU member, I think the UK could be better off leading the EFTA instead of this most disastrous form of Brexit.

image.thumb.png.1a59ff2c4f8c3a03fbb34f57c8d14fb2.png

Edited by Hi from France
  • Haha 1

Just now, Surelynot said:

You are a weird person.

I have three degrees and all my children have either an MA or an MSc.....all are, thankfully, leaving the UK over the next 12 months for careers in Europe and the USA.

Therein lies the danger for the UK,why should anybody with a saleable ability stay, the EU firms generally offer more money, better pensions and better housing standards, your standard of living goes up with all the different activities available and no yobbo's

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

another danger is before the studies : the UK used to be an attractive destination for higher education, research and jobs.

• higher education : even the first university years in an average university cost 9000£, the Erasmus exchange scheme does not compensate all of this huge costs and it is not even sure the UK will be in Erasmus in a few weeks. Studies at a university in France is 450€, in Germany it's free. If you want to study in English northern Europe is very attractive too.
  • research and jobs : the hostile environnement policy is very very dissuasive 

image.thumb.png.21520d552fb628e746a926d5fde1a6f5.png

How very, very sad.

• Like 1