Foreign ministry: 20,000 foreign tourists a month set to come into Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, Brad88 said:

Easier still is saving my money, time, and energy by choosing not to take advantage of either this "easier" option or any of the ludicrous schemes to bring in tourists while maintaining the ASQ. Let the powers-that-be come up with all the "targets" they want. I'm targeting my sanity by staying put until there's a truly attractive offer.

You'll be waiting a long time though.

• Haha 1

The Baht strengthened a lot against other currencies today. I doubt they are going to attract that much tourists.

1 USD = 30.04 baht and breaking through the 30 baht soon.

Edited by EricTh

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A senior consular official at the Thai foreign ministry has said that the country is targeting 20,000 tourists a month.

It matters not one Jot if its 1, or 20,000

They are all required to wear a Face Mask

That includes YOU

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Right now the Covid situation is under control, he claimed, and there are 15,000 rooms for quarantine in Bangkok and Thailand can handle 1,000 visitors a day.

Oh the horrors, oh the shock, oh the dismay, and he really believes that this latest outbreak is under control.  So 1,000 visitors a day are expected to fill the ASQ's.  They must be rubbing their hands together greedily just thining about the billions.  What happens when they do not arrive as they think they will.  Well then it will be time to Que the politicians to start jumping out of the windows to save face instead of doing it the Japanese way of Harikari. There is no way a Thai Government official has the willpower like a Japanese official does and would never commit ritual suicide by disembowelment with a sword.  That would never save FACE, as they do not even come close to completing an honorable alternative to disgrace.  However it would be perfect and welcomed by many of the common Thais if those in power were honorable.

2 hours ago, Olivie said:

It could not work. Asians dont take long holidays, only european/americans take 3-4 weeks holidays at the same time...

Wrong about America... only 2 weeks.  Most accrue days at a time during employment.  Only Europeans (or some?) get 3-4 weeks vacation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

The Baht strengthened a lot against other currencies today. I doubt they are going to attract that much tourists.

1 USD = 30.04 baht and breaking through the 30 baht soon.

33 on April 1, 2020, now due to drop under 30 any day now.  I hear the downward whirring sound...

Most 'tourists' who would be OK with the idea of a quarantine period would be digital nomads.

Why doesn't the Thai Government drop the ridiculous bank account savings requirements for Special Tourist Visas and for allow it for all countries..........but applicants have to show evidence of their basic monthly online income (Above say $750)

If the Thai government makes an attractive visa for digital nomads, I could then see quite few people coming here

Edited by hydraides
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, hydraides said:

Most 'tourists' who would be OK with the idea of a quarantine period would be digital nomads.

Why doesn't the Thai Government drop the ridiculous fees for Special Tourist Visas and for allow it for all countries..........but applicants have to show evidence of their basic monthly online income.

If the Thai government makes an attractive visa for digital nomads, I could then see quite few people coming here

They just rised the price of the Elite visa by 20% (from 500k baht to 600k baht)...So I dont think they are planning to drop any fee on visas...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheist said:

Wrong about America... only 2 weeks.  Most accrue days at a time during employment.  Only Europeans (or some?) get 3-4 weeks vacation.

5 weeks, 6 if over 60 with certain amount of insured years (as in social insurance paid for).

That's for AT, there ought to be better ones in the EU ...

2 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Yep.Plus Australia has extended until 17th of March "State of emergency" B.S. so no one's getting out of here until then.Unless you're connected like Abbott,Pedo Pell,etc.

Don't forget Downer. You can get an exemption if you're going for 3 months but don't expect to get any help/advice from the idiots at Border Force