Thailand’s 5 year visa with condo purchase scheme will do little to spur real estate market, says Thai media

webfact

On 12/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

You can become an Oknya for that money in Cambo.

Never heard about the term, so I had to look it up... Wikipedia says "Since 20 March 2017, anyone hoping to be bestowed with the title must make contributions of $500,000 or more to the government." Those look like donations to the government, so the money is gone for good. So unless I'm mistaken, it's very different than the "investments" required by nationality.

36 minutes ago, SymS said:

Never heard about the term, so I had to look it up... Wikipedia says "Since 20 March 2017, anyone hoping to be bestowed with the title must make contributions of $500,000 or more to the government." Those look like donations to the government, so the money is gone for good. So unless I'm mistaken, it's very different than the "investments" required by nationality.

Wait is that anything like becoming a Scottish Lord by buying a land plot, and getting your free Kilt.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh come on guys, a leap of faith is needed here. Whenever has a real estate purchase, in a prime area, become a bad investment in the long term. The real questions, are can you afford the mortgage payments long term, and do you want to live there, long term.

well now that they are considering giving permanent residency to foreigners who buy a condo for 10 million +, there doesn't seem to be any need for this. Spend 3 million on a condo and you get a five year visa

https://www.nationthailand.com/property/30399773?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

I thought it was really hard to get permanent residency - Thai language requirements, financial requirements, interviews with IO and being in the country on a continuous visa for three + years. Now they're giving it to anyone who can get a 10 million Baht mortgage. Joke.

I could afford this, but I don't want to live in a box in the sky. I just bought a huge house. Unfortunately house buyers are not entitled to this scheme.