Special Tourist Visa: Thailand opens to the world - But will the tourists really come?

webfact

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Good point. If I were thinking of going on this STV, I would definitely not sit with a load of Thais who haven’t been tested properly. Question, aren’t all passengers who board flights in EU or US, Russia obliged to have a PCR test within 72 hrs of traveling. ?

You raise a good point I haven't seen mentioned.   It's true the Thai government may not require It's citizens to show a negative test but the airline they fly with might so it isn't entirely accurate when people say all Thais are returning without being tested.  It depends on the airline you can depart the US on Qatar as one example without being tested as long as the destination country doesn't require the test.  A Thai returning from the US  on Emirates doesn't need a test but would need one for example if departing Hungary or Czech Republic according to this -

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/covid-19/

4 hours ago, RR2020 said:

People "stuck" in the UK are jumping on planes to the Caribbean, to the Canary Islands, to Greece and to loads of hot sunny places where there is NO QUARANTINE.

Ha ha, Greece, Canary islands, personally I prefer Thailand, all about choice though.

Where are you seeing out the winter?

8 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

You raise a good point I haven't seen mentioned.   It's true the Thai government may not require It's citizens to show a negative test but the airline they fly with might so it isn't entirely accurate when people say all Thais are returning without being tested.  It depends on the airline you can depart the US on Qatar as one example without being tested as long as the destination country doesn't require the test.  A Thai returning from the US  on Emirates doesn't need a test but would need one for example if departing Hungary or Czech Republic according to this -

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/covid-19/

by the time, you can also be tested positive with Sars-cov-2 virus and never be seek with COVID-19 (most of the positive tested people) and also never propagate sars-cov-2.

But to see this true fact, you need to live in a country who test a lot and where doctors can be free to speak.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ricorose said:

2 weeks is almost the half of the amount of days normal western people get holidays for the whole year! Who thinks there want to spend this time in quarantine?

Then this visa is not aimed at them, think you are on the wrong thread mate, this is the long term STV visa, you are talking about visa exempt for 30 days in which case you may have a point.

Ok.  It's just not sinking in.  I suggest they all go to a tattoo parlor and ask to have 'No Tourists Until No Quarantine' tattooed someplace convenient as a reminder.   They might get a few more long-stays with the new policy tweak but no actual tourists on typical 5 to 10 day visits. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaifly88 said:

The baht is where it is for a good reason - Thailand has little foreign debt and a strong economy (apart from the decimated tourist industry which accounts for around 20% if GDP, the other 80% is holding things up) but you’re right , many people cannot afford Thailand anymore.T

The Thai economy is strong??? Sure not.

Over the last 12 month I have seen uncountable shops went bankrupt.

There are millions of unemployed people.

Further, all these figures and number from the government....

You can believe, or you don't believe....

• Like 2

Take a look at the aqi map for all of Thailand.  Only 3 spots in the very south where the air quality is acceptable.

The rest of the country is slowly getting sick breathing constant air pollution.  Who would want to pay for 2 weeks expensive

quarantine, stick up the nose 4 times, pay for 2 types of overpriced insurance who won't pay a claim anyways and then

breath some of the most polluted air on this planet, all year?  The politicians need to wake up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

breath some of the most polluted air on this planet, all year?  The politicians need to wake up.

I haven't done an exhaustive check*, but in some places (eg here) the PM2.5 levels are 'only' bad for about 4 months a year.

*If anyone knows where to get historical data for city-level averages, please post.

1 hour ago, P100 said:

I don't see any significant change. Quarantine. Covid insurance. Visa. Where is the easing???

I can stay in thailand 270 days with STV and not 90 day with TV.

The funny things why was STV blocked from risky country while TV was available

7 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

Reality is tourism was going down

before covid, They turned it into a place nobody wanted to go...the way they treated tourist they dont deserve any

This is true. None of my offshore buddies want to go to Thailand any more. I have a wife and daughter there so I will go back when I can but none of my friends want to come visit any more.

• Like 2

Just now, mlkik said:

Drop the stupid quarantene ????? How many people have died in the US ? They of course do not have stupid quarantene.

They don't have much of anything in place including competent leadership and that is the problem.  Also, 30% of Americans are obese.  60% are overweight.    Those are major contributing factors.  Something the media has chosen to ignore.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I currently want to go to Thailand for medical reasons (medical tourism).  The 14 day quarantine is definitely a deal breaker for me.  I am getting it done elsewhere because of that 14 day quarantine.  So thailand is losing thousands of dollars of my business.  There must be hundreds of thousands of people just like me so that adds up to millions and millions of dollars lost. 

With all the other restrictions and testing a quarantine is not necessary imo.  I don't care how nice the overpriced hotel is or how good the overpriced food is or whatever.

doubt it 

• Like 1