Special Tourist Visa: Thailand opens to the world - But will the tourists really come?

webfact

11 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I think we can all put that answer down to........ "I really don't have a clue---but it sounded good after a few Chang's"......????

When countries print more money without the backing it devalues the money.  Most money is now fiat money.  It is all basically about supply and demand now since countries went away from gold standard.  The more money printed the less valuable it becomes because its more readily available.  Sad thing is its all political too.  

I think Thailands biggest concern is the hospitals would be overwhelmed basically as anyone tested positive or asymptomatic is hospitalised.

In the the U.K. all non essential procedures were cancelled and Nightingale Hospitals were built as the government were advised at the stat the NHS would be overwhelmed. It never happened and very few of the thousands of extra beds in the Nightingale Hospitals were unoccupied.

Wether Thailand realise it or not Covid patients don’t need to be hospitalised,, it’s a money making racket for people testing positive in ASQ Hotels and hospitals. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shdmn said:

They don't have much of anything in place including competent leadership and that is the problem.  Also, 30% of Americans are obese.  60% are overweight.    Those are major contributing factors.  Something the media has chosen to ignore.  

Where are reports that obesity had anything to do with contributing factors.  I think one of the main contributing factors is the fact that hospitals get $10,000 for COVID-19 deaths vs around $2,000 for Cancer or other deaths by the Government.  I have had several friends of mine that have lost parents one a heart attack and another in a car accident.  The hospitals tried to say COVID-19 for both.  Both families fought it and won.  The lies are real.  I am 49 years old and about 30lbs overweight and had COVID-19 but didnt get affected by it really.  I had worse colds.  My friend who is physically fit had worse symptons.  An friends ex bf had it and he was in great shape lost his life to it supposedly.  Apparently he had other underlying issues and it wasnt weight.

• Confused 1

Just now, kevmin13 said:

Where are reports that obesity had anything to do with contributing factors.  I think one of the main contributing factors is the fact that hospitals get $10,000 for COVID-19 deaths vs around $2,000 for Cancer or other deaths by the Government.  I have had several friends of mine that have lost parents one a heart attack and another in a car accident.  The hospitals tried to say COVID-19 for both.  Both families fought it and won.  The lies are real.  I am 49 years old and about 30lbs overweight and had COVID-19 but didnt get affected by it really.  I had worse colds.  My friend who is physically fit had worse symptons.  An friends ex bf had it and he was in great shape lost his life to it supposedly.  Apparently he had other underlying issues and it wasnt weight.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=covid+obesity

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

According to resent studies Ivermectin is effective in preventing and treating Coronavirus. Meaning we would only need to take 1 tab a week , plus vitamin D and the virus could be arrested.

Lots of claims out there but none proven to help. Ivermectin has been tested since May and no positive results concerning Covid. 

13 minutes ago, geisha said:

Lots of claims out there but none proven to help. Ivermectin has been tested since May and no positive results concerning Covid. 

As I have said many time there is no cure for a virus although some drugs might ease the symptoms.

I would hate to think if I was hospitalised in Thailand what they would ‘pump’ into me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, geisha said:

Ok Dr. Geisha, i am sure you know more than this guy who works on the front line with 1000's of patients dying from covid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

just open the damn country, what the heck, there is no virus here or in nearby countries, nothing to worry about (sarcasm intended) and I didn't mention the UK, USA, France, Germany, etc., all of them having new clusters increasing daily infections

Thailand saw 25 new cases in quarantine over a 24-hour period

https://news.yahoo.com/south-koreas-coronavirus-infections-second-091303338.html

South Korea's new coronavirus infections at second highest in new wave

https://news.yahoo.com/china-tests-250-000-people-074156196.html

China tests 250,000 people for Covid after new cluster emerges

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-data/h00657/

Japan records 2,170 new cases on December 8, and the number of severe cases rises by 6 to 536.

World / Countries / Japan

Last updated: December 09, 2020, 11:16 GMT

Japan ---- Coronavirus Cases:  163,929  Deaths: = 2,382

Besides Thailand, the countries you listed are now in the flu season, covid, like flu and 

other respiratory viruses are most prevalent in the cold winter months, so no real surprise 

in the increase in positive test results. I fully expect the same pattern to emerge in Europe 

and North America.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Special Tourist Visa: Thailand opens to the world - But will the tourists really come?

s3.reutersmedia.jpg

Reuters file photo for reference only

In a massive U-turn after few people turned up as part of the government's STV (special tourist visa) scheme Thailand has decided to open up to the whole world irrespective of Covid conditions.

They have abandoned the requirement that the STV will only be given to those from low risk countries - but announced that all the checks and paperwork will still need to be followed. 

Crucially, this means visitors will still have to quarantine for 14 days. 

This much criticized sticking point begs the question:

Will the government's move inspire any more tourists to come to the country?

Critics will say that the cabinet's latest decision is putting a BandAid on the festering sore that is the much maligned STV project that allows long stay in Thailand.

The government hopes that allowing visitors from every country on earth - including hotbed places like the US and many countries in Europe -  will provide more tourists and give Thailand's ailing tourism sector a much needed boost.

It will have to. 

So far the numbers have been tiny in relation to usual tourism figures. 

1pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

PM's office deputy spokesman Ratchada Thanadirek faced the press after a cabinet meeting and admitted that only 825 people had come on the STV so far.

And there were just SIX visitors on yachts; to boost this number the government resolved to allow such people to stay 30 more days, now a total of 60.

Ratchada was at pains to point out that everyone on STV must complete all the requirements that have been so roundly criticized.

And that includes the expensive and onerous 14 day quarantine.

Many will say that the government's U-turn is more like a vicious circle with the inevitable consequence that few people will consider coming to Thailand unless they have very specific reasons - like family and business, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-09

Wishful thinking, with the world economy with millions of jobless, expensive gouging hotel quarantine fees tourism is the last thing people have in mind. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

image.png.cb13ec979b58a2246bc614c8ad268255.png

If people do go to LOS then they will have to be able to get a return flight to their country of origin and then pay for 14 more days of quarantine.

Along with the expensive air fares they will have to buy insurance which makes a trip very expensive.

I read some comment on international news, that they thought that no one will take up this offer, mainly because of the paperwork and quarantine.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

And just how do you do that Jack ??

Central bank cuts interest rates to 0% or they can just do what the CCP did to help limit the effects of the USA tariffs and just change the exchange rate instead of letting it float. Pretty simple really.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:30 AM, webfact said:

No! Would you come? Most of the surrounding countries are doing quarantine now too. They also requires health insurance too. So Asia has shot themself in the foot when it comes to tourist for 2021-2022. 

18 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

These people are delusional. If they think for a second anyone will go on vacation and spend 14 days in quarantine they are out of their gords. Total wishful thinking.

It never ceases to amaze me how they make plan after plan that never makes any sense.

Admit it. The county is screwed until the pandemic ends. End of story. Let people in without quarantine and covid will spread like wildfire again. And I know they're not that stupid. Or at least I hope they aren't.

"It never ceases to amaze me how they make plan after plan that never makes any sense."  and that is one of the reasons Thailand has about an 8% less IQ than most, if not all western countries, and that must also apply to the unelected "PM" and his soldiers with an education from a military academy.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 8:30 AM, webfact said:

PM's office deputy spokesman Ratchada Thanadirek faced the press after a cabinet meeting and admitted that only 825 people had come on the STV so far.

And there were just SIX visitors on yachts; to boost this number the government resolved to allow such people to stay 30 more days, now a total of 60.

Ratchada was at pains to point out that everyone on STV must complete all the requirements that have been so roundly criticized.

And that includes the expensive and onerous 14 day quarantine.

Many will say that the government's U-turn is more like a vicious circle with the inevitable consequence that few people will consider coming to Thailand unless they have very specific reasons - like family and business, notes Thaivisa. 

Only 825 people? The numbers was 1000 and now the truth has come out.

The government has not did a U-turn. I have been saying from the beginning that it all for show. They can tell the Thai people anything and they would believe it. What do you expect when there more than 50% of the culture is uneducated when it comes to what going on in their own country. Their only concern is where are they going to get that next baht for their family, mother and father. 

So why blame what the government is doing. They are the keepers of their people........???????????????? Don’t hate the government, hate the game. 

18 hours ago, RR2020 said:

People "stuck" in the UK are jumping on planes to the Caribbean, to the Canary Islands, to Greece and to loads of hot sunny places where there is NO QUARANTINE.

As a matter of interest, what is the covid situation like in the Caribbean, Greece etc? If people from the UK  are not spreading the covid in these countries, why should they spread it in Thailand?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Everyone who owns a house or has a rental contract should be allowed to self quarantine at home. Maybe the next step?

Yes, it would be great in theory but it wont ever happen. There is no way to monitor if people are doing the quarantine, you could have friends over, go out etc.There would literally need to be a person at each house monitoring quarantine compliance. Also hard to isolate a property from the one next door, a window/balcony could literally be 1-2 meters from a neighbours window/balcony. Who supplies the food and maintains quarantine conditions etc

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Everyone who owns a house or has a rental contract should be allowed to self quarantine at home. Maybe the next step?

My home is in Udon so how would I get to my home ? A private jet ? Private ambulance ?