Testing positive in ASQ: Consequences?

BKKBike09

From the official stats here it appears that generally there are always 100-200 people 'hospitalised' at any one time. I presume that these are all quarantined returnees who've tested positive, regardless of whether they have symptoms.

What I want to know is what happens if you test asymptomatic positive in ASQ: I assume you get carted off to whatever hospital is paired with that ASQ hotel. But then what? How long do you stay in hospital? A minimum 14 days from arrival at hospital, discharge contingent on testing negative? Or 14 days after the first negative test, so potentially 3 weeks plus in hospital? And what happens in hospital? Stuck in an isolation room without opening windows for the whole time? Or on an isolation ward? Or what?

Assuming your insurance covers admission and 'treatment' as an asymptomatic and allegedly positive Covid 'patient', what's the likelihood that, subsequently, the insurer will dispute, say, a lung issue as possibly arising from Covid infection and therefore excluded as pre-existing? Since Covid affects people in so many different ways it seems to me that insurers would find plenty of ways to exclude or severely limit coverage for future conditions as "caused by Covid", even if the 'patient' was always asymptomatic, particularly because here, in Thailand, a positive test = automatic hospitalisation which, to an insurer in the future, could be regarded as evidence of a serious illness.

Anyone got any first-hand or otherwise reliable feedback on any of this? I have a friend who was hospitalised here with Covid and was quite unwell for a couple of days, but that was back in March and upcountry, so nothing to do with ASQ and asymptomatic testing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, common sense dictate that you'll stay hospitalized or under close supervision until you get well and there are no more Covid symptoms or infections about your body in which case you're in for a long slog and lots of testing until you'd be deemed clean and clear...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

common sense dictate that you'll stay hospitalized or under close supervision until you get well and there are no more Covid symptoms

'Common sense' would dictate that if you are asymptomatic - the scenario I'm asking about - you are a) not unwell and b) should not be occupying a hospital bed and diverting medical personnel and resources away from the task of treating people who are actually sick and need a hospital bed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Farma said:

This thread has a report of someone who experienced this situation.

Thanks for that. Very interesting. You posted in response:

"I have been reliably informed by a member of my provinces ministry of health that after my initial 14 day ASQ I will be met at my local airport by medical staff who will test me then take me to my house for compulsory 14 day home quarantine with daily visits to take my temperature.

I was told this is a decision (possibly by the provincial governor) by some provinces but not all."

Did that happen (you had to do essentially 28 days) or were you just asking 'what will happen'? What province is this? Does sound like a provincial governor's unilateral power trip decision ... 

On 12/9/2020 at 8:53 AM, ezzra said:

Well, common sense dictate that you'll stay hospitalized or under close supervision until you get well and there are no more Covid symptoms or infections about your body in which case you're in for a long slog and lots of testing until you'd be deemed clean and clear...

You would have to be rich, unless the insurance company pays out, but don't forget, some insurance companies will not pay for the first 14 days claim.