Delivery Scam...

richard_smith237

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I suspect more a case of incompetance than a scam.

I had one non delivery and one wrong item belonging to someone else ! Both delivery driver errors.

Agree

Just yesterday saw a neighbour point blank refusing a package from a well known delivery company, telling the driver peobably wrong name or house number. Or even wrong village. She didn't know the name either  and everyone knows everyone here.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

did u hear from someone else too about the similar scam? 

could have been a case of wrong number dialed by the delivery boy. 

The Wife told me this is known fairly common scam.

I’d never heard of it before though. 

The delivery guy asked for my Wife by name and mentioned our address - thats how my Wife knew it was a scam - especially as it was something we had not ordered. 

My suspicion is that someone has sold a load of info to some scam artists or someone who works for a ‘delivery company’ has become somewhat enterprising.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Usually the delivery riders just turn up and ring the bell, they don’t call first to confirm we have to pay something.

Actually they do - especially Kerry.  Even if they on on the soi they will normally call before getting to gate.  

But yes such COD deliveries are a known scam and a prime reason I and many others always pay first.  If a package is COD and we are not aware (extended family) we do not pay until contact made with receiver name and they confirm order.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spamhead said:

I must be missing something. Is it really too hard to open the box before handing over any cash ?

yes you are missing something: firstly i told my maid over the phone to pay, secondly i dont believe for a single second that you would be allowed to open the package before paying

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Never fails to amaza me how experiences vary so much in this land.

You mention they dont phone, and yet with us, they alwys phone never ever just turn up.

I wonder if this may be because we are out of town rural and its a distance to travel if no one there, as opposed to a more dense population where they are in the area any way and no need to call ahead.

Just a thought.

I think so.

We are in a Moo-Baan in Bangkok. It's very easy to find.

If we are not in, the item is usually placed on a chair (under cover) inside the front of our house. 

If we are not in and a delivery needs signing for, the security at the front gate accepts the delivery (we never do CoD, except for food deliveries when we are in). 

We get one or two deliveries each day - receiving a phone call for an imminent delivery is very rare unless the delivery person is not the sharpest and can’t find our address.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qualibus said:

By Kerry Express?  Really?  

Why would anyone accept a delivery that they had not ordered and pay B900 for it?

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

It doesn’t if you don’t think about how it could work... 

My Wife called me up... ‘Did you order a Power Bank for 900 Baht’ ???? - that solved the issue, because I hadn’t. 

My Wife could just have easily assumed I ordered a Power Bank for 900 baht (in her Name), accepted and paid for the delivery only to find out I never ordered anything in the first place and the box is empty - and thus we’ve been scammed out of 900 baht. 

The scam works on ‘assumption’....  the target assumes someone else in the household has made the order. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually they do - especially Kerry.  Even if they on on the soi they will normally call before getting to gate.  

Where do you live ?

In central Bangkok they very rarely call ahead. We also get very frequently deliveries (usually at least a couple per day).

This week a load of presents have arrived, and I’m expecting more. I haven’t taken a single ‘delivery phone' call yet.

56 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But yes such COD deliveries are a known scam and a prime reason I and many others always pay first.  If a package is COD and we are not aware (extended family) we do not pay until contact made with receiver name and they confirm order.  

Its a difficult one to decide on choosing CoD or Pre-Pay - as pre-pay could also be scam.

I’ve often ordered something cheap (i.e. Cheap Face masks etc) only to have them not delivered, the order gets cancelled by the vendor and I have to e-mail Lazada for the order of 5x 16 Baht to be refunded.

I wonder if they are assuming that no one will chase up minor amounts and thus some stores make money this way. 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where do you live ?

Latphao, Bangkok in a mooban that was built in 1975.  And get service from many services each week but about 20% call when about two rings from house - as it a fixed line a PIA to run to answer only to get a dead line and MC  rider at gate yelling.

23 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Just sounds like a simple mistake, not a scam.

What is the number they called you on? I will give them a call for you.

no, its not a simple mistake, they sent a package to my name and address, and the delivery guy phoned me on my nr,

when i wasnt home to pay, i in turn phoned a maid to pay

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1173563-cod-scam/

the only mystery here is how the con artists got their hands on my name, address, and phone nr

Edited by scammed
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, digbeth said:

This is a well known scam, Kerry or the driver aren't in on it, they originate somewhere in China they have obtained a list with your name and address

my package came from chiang mai,

northern thailand

Edited by scammed

4 hours ago, scammed said:
4 hours ago, digbeth said:

This is a well known scam, Kerry or the driver aren't in on it, they originate somewhere in China they have obtained a list with your name and address

my package came from chiang mai,

northern thailand

Quite possibly both occurs & there is more than one buyer for data. 

Its easy to imagine how a 3rd party can get hold of names, phone numbers & addresses of customers.

Data security is not really a ‘thing’ here. 

I was once in a hotel coffee shop & my son was given some scrap paper to draw on. 
The ‘used’ side contained a printed of guests names, room #, passport #, Check-in & Check-out dates. Many were current guests !!!! 

I received blank looks from the staff & manager when highlighting that risk. 

They didn’t even get it when I said, Ok, My Name is Roger Frobisher, Room 1512, checking out on Thursday, US passport Number xxxx - charge my bill to my room !!!! 

I’ve digressed; scams are made easy by data & security flaws combined with innocence & ignorance. 
In this case the Ignorance of how easy & potentially common the CoD scam

could be. 

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Never fails to amaza me how experiences vary so much in this land.

You mention they dont phone, and yet with us, they alwys phone never ever just turn up.

I wonder if this may be because we are out of town rural and its a distance to travel if no one there, as opposed to a more dense population where they are in the area any way and no need to call ahead.

Just a thought.

Here too.

I do usuallynorder cod though, 

I had aa freind staying and she prepaid, and they would just appear.

Great heads up by the OP.

I could easily see where the next installment in the story is a knock on the door from the BIB, where they open the package and find a few baht worth of weed or yaba.  That would make 900 baht look like chump change.  Brought to mind a certain young lady from S. Africa who received a package.

Would they let you open the package before paying?  Lots of guys have posted over the years that they do- and that's why they use COD, to make sure they received what they ordered.  Some guys have even turned on their goodies and tested the function before they paid, if you believe what they posted.  And I do.

The package may have come from Chiang Mai, but the transaction may have originated elsewhere.  And it's not as if Chiang Mai has a lack of nefarious foreigners.  Nuff said about that...

I'm curious about the mechanics of getting that 900 baht from Kerry to the originator of the package.  Seems like it would be easy enough to report the transaction and have them trace the payment if it's a recurring scam.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Great heads up by the OP.

I could easily see where the next installment in the story is a knock on the door from the BIB, where they open the package and find a few baht worth of weed or yaba.  That would make 900 baht look like chump change.  Brought to mind a certain young lady from S. Africa who received a package.

Would they let you open the package before paying?  Lots of guys have posted over the years that they do- and that's why they use COD, to make sure they received what they ordered.  Some guys have even turned on their goodies and tested the function before they paid, if you believe what they posted.  And I do.

The package may have come from Chiang Mai, but the transaction may have originated elsewhere.  And it's not as if Chiang Mai has a lack of nefarious foreigners.  Nuff said about that...

I'm curious about the mechanics of getting that 900 baht from Kerry to the originator of the package.  Seems like it would be easy enough to report the transaction and have them trace the payment if it's a recurring scam.

my maid thought it was a mistake so she phoned them to return money/package, but they would have none of it.

you think the police here is going to do their job if you dont pay them ?

On 12/9/2020 at 3:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

In central Bangkok they very rarely call ahead. We also get very frequently deliveries (usually at least a couple per day).

This week a load of presents have arrived, and I’m expecting more. I haven’t taken a single ‘delivery phone' call yet.

I live in Padaet in Chiang Mai city and delivery drivers  nearly always phone before delivery.