Delivery Scam...

richard_smith237

On 12/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The delivery guy asked for my Wife by name and mentioned our address - thats how my Wife knew it was a scam

Those details would have been on the package so how would she know it was a scam from that information?

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 3:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Its a difficult one to decide on choosing CoD or Pre-Pay - as pre-pay could also be scam.

I’ve often ordered something cheap (i.e. Cheap Face masks etc) only to have them not delivered, the order gets cancelled by the vendor and I have to e-mail Lazada for the order of 5x 16 Baht to be refunded.

I wonder if they are assuming that no one will chase up minor amounts and thus some stores make money this way. 

I pay on the Lazada website, if something arrived COD I'd know I had not ordered it.

I look at the reviews and ratings as well, anything under 95% doesn't get my custom.

I've been scammed once, by a supplier who delivered only half what I had ordered. About 250 baht. Won't be getting my business again, and after the review I wrote, might not get business from anyone else either.

I can understand someone scamming on a 30,000 baht order, but 250 baht?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I pay on the Lazada website, if something arrived COD I'd know I had not ordered it.

I look at the reviews and ratings as well, anything under 95% doesn't get my custom.

I've been scammed once, by a supplier who delivered only half what I had ordered. About 250 baht. Won't be getting my business again, and after the review I wrote, might not get business from anyone else either.

I can understand someone scamming on a 30,000 baht order, but 250 baht?

Actually I suspect it may have just been an oversight - mistakes happen.  Did you ask seller to make good?  I have received more than ordered on occasion so it can work both ways. 

On 12/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, scammed said:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1173563-cod-scam/

no, its not a mistake, it was delivered to my name and address.

the only question is: how did the con artists know about me and my address

From your wife, or somebody from her family. Or maybe from one of her friends.

Too many people are completely money and hopeless these days. The only reason why we don't hear/read more about it is the loss of face.

Please ask yourself why the "con artist had the number of your wife?"

Plus your name and more details. That doesn't sound good to me. 

Edited by teacherclaire

22 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Isn't that a pretty dumb scam? The perp might get their 900 Baht, but Kerry would have their ID, so it would be easy to file a police complaint. Doesn't seem to scale to be worthwhile.

No there wouldn't be a Kerry vehicle involved, nor an ID. The OP would only have received a package with a photo of the general perhaps/. 

It's easy to create a page that has Kerry on it, let people sign and act as it was real. 

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

From your wife, or somebody from her family. Or maybe from one of her friends.

Too many people are completely money and hopeless these days. The only reason why we don't hear/read more about it is the loss of face.

Please ask yourself why the "con artist had the number of your wife?"

Plus your name and more details. That doesn't sound good to me. 

i dont have a wife or anything like it

On 12/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, richard_smith237 said:

My initial suspicion too. However - my Wife said she recognised the scam as they used her name and our address for a Cash on delivery item we’d never ordered. 

Usually the delivery riders just turn up and ring the bell, they don’t call first to confirm we have to pay something.

This time they called first - perhaps checking to see if they could get away with it before going to the effort of making a parcel up and sending it over to us. 

My guess is with 30 phone calls per hour they will get some takers - it could be quite an earner. 

We’ve had plenty of wrong deliveries, we often get drivers trying to delivery things for the same house number in the moo-baan next door and visa versa.

The incompetence factor is easy to spot. In this case it looks as though someone was trying to pull a fast one. 

Some delivery drivers call ahead to make sure you are in the house to take delivery of the package, especially here in Isaan as it could involve a long drive.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, scammed said:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1173563-cod-scam/

no, its not a mistake, it was delivered to my name and address.

the only question is: how did the con artists know about me and my address

Maybe he was an EX Kerry worker and collected names an Addresses while he was working there . 

Easily done in a personal Black book isn't it.

• 1 month later...

I don't have a great deal good to say about this company. Their vans scream all over the place weaving in and out in small soil. One thing they do is call multiple times to check the address and we live on a main road through the village.

I always order COD. We have had many things wrong from the internet company eg replacement electric toothbrushes that show the item then send another type of brush....trying to rectify such issues is more than I can stand to do. I was a big Amazon user before I came here, you never get this nonsense with them.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:40 PM, darrendsd said:
On 12/9/2020 at 9:31 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The delivery guy asked for my Wife by name and mentioned our address - thats how my Wife knew it was a scam

Those details would have been on the package so how would she know it was a scam from that information?

Because my Wife knew she hadn’t ordered anything....   

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...

This happened to me last week.  All items were from Lazada.  It involved two agencies,namely LEX and Kerry.

The first was an Iphone and they wanted 11,000thb.  The second delivery was by Kerry and was three packages containing under arm brief cases.

All deliveries were refused.