Mattress what would you reommend brand wise?

stupidfarang

1 hour ago, searcher22 said:

It felt like my spine was realigning itself in the morning ...

Some time ago I visit a chiropractician (Dr. Don) a couple of times.

At some time I asked him when I should see him. Right away when something hurts or wait a few days.

He explained to me that I should sleep for one or two nights before I visit him because often the body corrects the misalignment in the sleep. I found that interesting.

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2020 at 1:47 AM, scammed said:

if possible, ask to test lay down in it

for a while

This is always an issue - you can lay down for a short while but that does not necessarily let you know how you might feel after a night, a week, a month... if you are sensitive. 

oddly, it is the same with buying a car and even a house - a home being the largest expense in most people's lives and they never get to sleep there before purchase... 

But yes, by all means, lay down on it... they let you do that. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 9:29 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe google "coconut mattress".

I have one in my rented apartment and I like it. If I ever have to buy my own mattress I will buy one of those.

It's firm and comfortable at the same time.

I find a concrete floor more comfortable than those.

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2020 at 11:40 PM, Kwasaki said:

Dunlopillo

I have seen them for sale here bargain at only B43,000 ????    A local store i know only sells 2 types of mattress I checked out one for B8,000 seemed a lot more comfortable than their harder cheaper one's, Not sure of the make but it says swiss with the swiss flag symbol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I find a concrete floor more comfortable than those.

There is a reason why Thai massage exists in Thailand - the hard beds and floor sleeping. Better invest that money on a good comfortable bed.

• Like 1

Spend some real money, and stick to the name brands. We have a Dunlopillo latex mattress, that we bought around 13 years ago. We rotate it every 6 months, and flip it over annually, as recommended. It is like new. It is like sleeping on a cloud. It was on sale at that time for around 35,000 baht, and was money well spent! All of our other mattresses are Sealy. Good quality for the money. It is very easy to find amazing deals on good quality mattresses here. Especially now. Do not be tempted to buy junk, or a brand you do not recognize, would be my advice. And I only use wood platform beds, with wooden slats for support, and a reclined backrest. Never a 90 degree backrest. It is the only way to go, if you want ultimate comfort. 

• Haha 1

IKEA. Just bought it for new bed, also from IKEA. Slept very well since the first night. If you want firm mattress, you'll have to choose extra firm and that is still a little bit softer than usual Thai mattress but acceptable.

17 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Latex is hot and incredibly heavy (I speak from experience of making the mistake of buying one !!!! and it was a terrible mistake). So heavy, I had to reinforced the bed-base, and it was so rubberlike/floppy it took two very strong men to get in outside for airing and even turning the mattress around head to toe was a back damaging ordeal!!! 

I would suggest, as another poster has, if you can get a bamboo fibre covered one that's a good idea - allergenic for life, cool, and easy to clean with a spray-on foam upholstery cleaner every year. I bought a Sealy Posturepedic Lux "Medium Soft' with a built-in topper (which I added a down topper too) - superb but some might say pricey. Bought it from a store in Emporium (I think the shops closed now?).

Covid has smacked the heck out of prices on everything so if you look around and politely bargain even Central Festival and other high end stores in BKK will drop the price for a sale if you wave cash in their faces.

if you sleep with aircon as any civilized person, latex is not hot at all. sleeping on it since more than 10 years...

17 hours ago, spencerbb said:

Thaiwatsadu latex mattresses for 7000 baht. Been sleeping on it for 4 years. Very comfy!

Clearly wrong and not real latex mattress.

you won't find any real 100% latex mattress for less than 20000 / 25000

you only bough a polyuretane or foam mattress with a 3cm latex layer.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I visit a chiropractician (Dr. Don) a couple of times.

At some time I asked him when I should see him. Right away when something hurts or wait a few days.

He explained to me that I should sleep for one or two nights before I visit him because often the body corrects the misalignment in the sleep. I found that interesting.

well, one night some years ago i slept in the worlds most rotten worn out mattress that had become shaped like the keel of a boat, i have not recovered to this day

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Spend some real money, and stick to the name brands. We have a Dunlopillo latex mattress, that we bought around 13 years ago. We rotate it every 6 months, and flip it over annually, as recommended. It is like new. It is like sleeping on a cloud. It was on sale at that time for around 35,000 baht, and was money well spent! All of our other mattresses are Sealy. Good quality for the money. It is very easy to find amazing deals on good quality mattresses here. Especially now. Do not be tempted to buy junk, or a brand you do not recognize, would be my advice. And I only use wood platform beds, with wooden slats for support, and a reclined backrest. Never a 90 degree backrest. It is the only way to go, if you want ultimate comfort. 

Yes I agree, need to spend a bit extra for a good mattress. I also will only go with either Sealy or Dunlopillo after looking around. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2020 at 9:32 PM, Airalee said:

Depending on budget...Simmons.  I’ve had Serta, Sealy, Stearns & Foster, Lotus.  Nothing has bettered my Simmons.  Make sure you hit their sales because full retail isn’t cheap.

You spend 1/3 of your life in bed.  Don’t skimp on a mattress.  Your back will thank you for it.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/902744-sealy-mattresses-where-to-get-a-good-deal/?do=findComment&comment=10526696
Many people aren't aware of this - but it is true. Simmons is another example:
"It may be of interest to know that mattress brands such as Sealy & Slumberland are operated as franchises, just like McDonalds. The parent companies license the name to local mattress manufacturers to use on product sold within that country and usually protects them from imports using the same name. Although they have to adhere to certain material and quality guidelines, they are allowed a lot of leeway to conform to different local needs.
Basically, customers here pay a huge premium for the name but don't expect a particular model of one of these brands sold in Thailand to match the same model/brand as one sold in the US or Europe."
https://www.hugsthailand.com

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, thaifoolishness said:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/902744-sealy-mattresses-where-to-get-a-good-deal/?do=findComment&comment=10526696
Many people aren't aware of this - but it is true. Simmons is another example:
"It may be of interest to know that mattress brands such as Sealy & Slumberland are operated as franchises, just like McDonalds. The parent companies license the name to local mattress manufacturers to use on product sold within that country and usually protects them from imports using the same name. Although they have to adhere to certain material and quality guidelines, they are allowed a lot of leeway to conform to different local needs.
Basically, customers here pay a huge premium for the name but don't expect a particular model of one of these brands sold in Thailand to match the same model/brand as one sold in the US or Europe."
https://www.hugsthailand.com

The Simmons are imported from Japan.  At least the one I bought was.  I tested some of the other international brands here and wasn’t impressed...perhaps because they are made in Thailand?

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Airalee said:

The Simmons are imported from Japan.  At least the one I bought was.  I tested some of the other international brands here and wasn’t impressed...perhaps because they are made in Thailand?

I have actually seen Simmons mattresses being produced here in Thailand at non-Simmons factories with my own eyes - but, as you say, some like yours may be imported. Not many though I would suggest, as usually protection against imported competition is part of the franchise agreement.

• Like 1

Just now, thaifoolishness said:

I have actually seen Simmons mattresses being produced here in Thailand at non-Simmons factories with my own eyes - but, as you say, some like yours may be imported. Not many though I would suggest, as usually protection against imported competition is part of the franchise agreement.

Looking online, there is only one store in all of Thailand (at the Crystal Design Center in BKK) that sells Simmons mattresses.  Maybe someone is selling knockoffs somewhere else that are made in Thailand?  

I do have to say that I was disappointed that what I paid $2,200 for back in the US (Beautyrest Black Series) would have been 3-6 times the price here.  And the US made models aren’t even available here...only the Japanese.

• Like 1

Just now, Airalee said:

Looking online, there is only one store in all of Thailand (at the Crystal Design Center in BKK) that sells Simmons mattresses.  Maybe someone is selling knockoffs somewhere else that are made in Thailand?  

I do have to say that I was disappointed that what I paid $2,200 for back in the US (Beautyrest Black Series) would have been 3-6 times the price here.  And the US made models aren’t even available here...only the Japanese.

Don't know about where they were or are sold but most definitely not fake - official and licensed

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, thaifoolishness said:

Ahhh...I see that SB design sells Simmons also.  I’ll bet that those are the ones made in Thailand under license from Simmons.  Mine was purchased from a Simmons Boutique store.

https://www.simmons.co.th/EN/stores/sb.html

• Thanks 1

Just now, thaifoolishness said:

Don't know about where they were or are sold but most definitely not fake - official and licensed

See my post above.

You do make a good point with the different mattresses being licensed out and who’s to say what the quality control is like.  

• Like 1

Still very happy with the Slumberland Prestige Pocket Sprung mattresses  bought about 6 years ago at the Factory in there yearly 80% off Sale... warranty is 15 years

Would never have bought it at retail as was over 100,000 baht full price.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:17 PM, spidermike007 said:

Can confirm  Dunloppilo

as after some Thai "torture matrasses" i bought one latex   years ago while in offer 20000+ to 12900 bht  at Home Pro , sleeps like on a cloud , but my version you can not flipside ... as hard a a rock that downside  .... and yes a  heavy job as  weight as lead , so i only rotate feet end to head end sometimes ...

After all the years  same firm condition 

Dunloppilo latex mattress.jpg

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, david555 said:

Can confirm  Dunloppilo

as after some Thai "torture matrasses" i bought one latex   years ago while in offer 20000+ to 12900 bht  at Home Pro , sleeps like on a cloud , but my version you can not flipside ... as hard a a rock that downside  .... and yes a  heavy job as  weight as lead , so i only rotate feet end to head end sometimes ...

After all the years  same firm condition 

Dunloppilo latex mattress.jpg

At that price point, what you got was likely a spring design, with a latex covering. Regardless, they are good mattresses, and last a very long time. A real latex mattress will range from 35,000 to 100,000 baht. Same in the US. $2,000 and up. 

Edited by spidermike007

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

At that price point, what you got was likely a spring design, with a latex covering. Regardless, they are good mattresses, and last a very long time. 

i don't know , but heavy it is , sides are soft too , but bottom rock-hard not meant to sleep on i guess , normal price was  20000+  when i saw in t on the -70% ( lie Thai offer ) i did not hesitate ,  whenever i survive  the age of the matrass i shall give it a cutting to find out .????

May not forget that latex = rubber  it grows here and is cheap priced product ...unfortunate for those farmers , also depends on the shop where you buy for the price ....at Index yo go pay much more for such 

In the manual  they wrote not to bend it by transport as latex can break warning , not like a foam mattress which you buy  even vacuum rolled . 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...