UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

Nissan's European chairman, Gianluca de Ficchy, said if a 10% export tariff was introduced after the UK left the EU it would put its operations "in jeopardy".

"The only message I can [give] is that if a no-deal will be associated with the application of 10% duties under the WTO rules, that will create an enormous problem for the overall European activities of Nissan Europe.

"If we will have to sustain 10% export duties on the vehicles that we export from UK to EU, knowing that those vehicles represent 70% of total production, the overall business model won't be sustainable.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50000530

main quote was that one :

In several interviews since then, global chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta has maintained that remained the case.

A Nissan source said: "We have been planning the whole time on the basis that there will be a deal.

"Look at the money we are putting into the new Qashqai - we are already in trial production for it.

"There's no Plan B."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-55272689

and my accompanying question to the Brexiteers was whether Nissan had been right to believe Johnson's promises and invest in the  Qashqai or whether Nissan was fooled.

As for me I would recommend investing in France in the brand new plant at Flins (Yvelines) 

image.thumb.png.6f3306b761fdfaef5113284a85a60095.png

https://www.nissan.fr/vehicules/neufs/micra/made-in-france.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Ah this is the real Australia deal ????

Could you inform the UK Government that they have got it wrong ?

There's a link at the bottom of the page where you can report things they got wrong .

Could you let them know they got it wrong and then post the link once they've changed it ?

You could send them your video 

Thanks , I''ll wait right here 

Existing UK trade agreements with non-EU countries - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

There are many studies that suggest bigotry increases with age.

So it's a natural presumption that you're no spring chicken, if you know what I mean ????.

Because of course my posts are replete with bigotry. 

I’m always at the forefront, ranting about immigrants, asylum seekers, Muslims,  feminists, environmentalists, beggars/the homeless, people on welfare, the poor, any kind of addict, Greta, Hillary, Angela ( women in general) any and all of the spleen venting that goes on, you’ll find my posts full of it .... well no you won’t.

Your posts on the other-hand!

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Could you inform the UK Government that they have got it wrong ?

There's a link at the bottom of the page where you can report things they got wrong .

Could you let them know they got it wrong and then post the link once they've changed it ?

You could send them your video 

Thanks , I''ll wait right here 

Existing UK trade agreements with non-EU countries - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Make a note of that link in your own records, there’s more than a fair chance you’ll have need of it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If I was making such a prediction I would say so in my own words.

Give up on this assigning views to others they have not themselves expressed.

I was asking you a question, all you had to say was "No" .

OK, so the slogan about one week being a short time in politics was just a meaningless slogan , posted for no reason at all .

Fair enough .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I am going to stop trying to guess what you mean , as I usually get it wrong .

OK , why will I need the link to the UK Gov Website ?

I do wish you would stop being so vague with your posts , just say what you mean

(Its OK, you can deny ever saying it in a few weeks time, no ones going to check back)  

Because it’s almost certain Johnson is going to sell out Brexit.

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I was asking you a question, all you had to say was "No" .

OK, so the slogan about one week being a short time in politics was just a meaningless slogan , posted for no reason at all .

Fair enough .

The observation that a week is a long time in politics is far from meaningless.

By example:

Johnson said ‘we’ll walk on Sunday evening’ 

Did he say which ‘Sunday evening’ because his threat got old really quickly.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suggest waiting to see the deal.

OK, ......................but what am I waiting to do ?

I will wait to see the deal..................then what am I supposed to be doing after that ?

I am a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing after I have waited and seen the deal 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

OK, ......................but what am I waiting to do ?

I will wait to see the deal..................then what am I supposed to be doing after that ?

I am a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing after I have waited and seen the deal 

I have some sympathy for your confusion but two observations.

1. I don’t owe you a ‘how to deal with Brexit instruction sheet’.

2. Now put yourself in the shoes of British business owners who are still wallowing in Brexit uncertainty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I have some sympathy for your confusion but two observations.

1. I don’t owe you a ‘how to deal with Brexit instruction sheet’.

2. Now put yourself in the shoes of British business owners who are still wallowing in Brexit uncertainty.

OK, I've put the shoes on and am waiting for further instructions of how to proceed and what to do after I've finished waiting to see the deal

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Nissan's European chairman, Gianluca de Ficchy, said if a 10% export tariff was introduced after the UK left the EU it would put its operations "in jeopardy".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50000530

main quote was that one :

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-55272689

and my accompanying question to the Brexiteers was whether Nissan had been right to believe Johnson's promises and invest in the  Qashqai or whether Nissan was fooled.

As for me I would recommend investing in France in the brand new plant at Flins (Yvelines) 

image.thumb.png.6f3306b761fdfaef5113284a85a60095.png

https://www.nissan.fr/vehicules/neufs/micra/made-in-france.html

Didn't the Flins  Factory open in 1952 so i wouldn't call it new, haven't there been annoucements already made that production is to cease by 2024

As most EU countries are stopping the sale of Petrol/Diesel cars in 2025 according to some reports, it doesn't really make any sense to start a new factory elsewhere in the UK or Europe

I think all japanese automotive manufacturers will relocate back to Japan now that there is a UK-Japan FTA in place and an EU-Japan FTA in place

https://thedriven.io/2020/11/16/uk-and-europe-to-declare-war-on-new-petrol-and-diesel-car-sales/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Didn't the Flins  Factory open in 1952 so i wouldn't call it new, haven't there been announcements already made that production is to cease by 2024

once more you're doing your homework @vinny41

Now the old plant was a Renault plant, I visited it when studying industrial engineering ????

The site closed then re-opened as Nissan, in that way a lot of jobs were saved, and of course the new Nissan plant could re-use the industrial network of subcontractors.

"production is to cease by 2024": we'd need to study that and of course it might be that some investments, like electric cars end up in France instead of the UK now. Even it there is a deal, there will be a lot of paperwork at the borders and the logistics of the supply chain will be very hard to run.

So it's now simpler to invest/manufacture in Europe if you want to sell in Europe. In the 80's, the japanese transplants in the UK came in to serve the EU market, not for the British market.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

"production is to cease by 2024": we'd need to study that and of course it might be that some investments, like electric cars end up in France instead of the UK now. Even it there is a deal, there will be a lot of paperwork at the borders and the logistics of the supply chain will be very hard to run.

From another thread

Logistics firms have also said that many European drivers had already refused to come to Britain in the new year when they would have to carry customs paperwork,

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1198129-stranded-truckers-fume-as-they-wait-to-leave-uk-after-covid-blockade/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Now the old plant was a Renault plant, I visited it when studying industrial engineering ????

The site closed then re-opened as Nissan, in that way a lot of jobs were saved, and of course the new Nissan plant could re-use the industrial network of subcontractors.

So it's now simpler to invest/manufacture in Europe if you want to sell in Europe. In the 80's, the japanese transplants in the UK came in to serve the EU market, not for the British market.

It's not going to be building cars any more, just becoming a glorified chop shop and scrappers “Re-trofit, Re-energy, Re-cycle and Re-start”. No wonder the unions say they will not accept it. The Zoe is leaving the site and the Dacia Spring will be imported from China.

Still, they are already getting their state support.

4 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

My understanding is while production will cease in 2024, the factory will not close its going to change to Re-trofit, Re-energy, Re-cycle and Re-start

Its all part of a renault nissan mitsubishi restructuring plan announced earlier this year

all details can be found here

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/renault-stop-making-cars-flins-defying-union-opposition

54 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

My understanding is while production will cease in 2024, the factory will not close its going to change to Re-trofit, Re-energy, Re-cycle and Re-start

Its all part of a renault nissan mitsubishi restructuring plan announced earlier this year

all details can be found here

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/renault-stop-making-cars-flins-defying-union-opposition

Thanks

The decision follows Renault announcing 4600 job cuts in France this year as part of a wide-ranging cost-saving plan, instigated due to a record first-half loss of €7.3 billion (£6.51bn). 

Renault -Nissan was in pretty bad health before and the covid crisis is devastating.

I do not know what you make of it, but in my mind, covid will compound the effect of Brexit: many plants will close and then, the new supply chains will be re-designed without the UK.

British industry will not suddenly "crash down": while services can relocate very fast as we saw with fund management (Over £1 trillion of assets) but Brexit will hit UK industry, more like a 'slow puncture'.

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/12/23/brexit-news-latest-deal-today-eu-uk-ports-lockdown-boris-johnson/

3:57pm

EU official: We are in the end phase now

An EU source tells our Brussels Correspondent, James Crisp, negotiations are "in the end phase".

EU official: "we are in the end phase now."#Brexit

— James Crisp (@JamesCrisp6) December 23, 2020