Western Governments will they send Vaccine to Embassies for Distribution

Ireland32

33 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Just wondering how will ExPats get a Vaccine, I don’t want a Chinese Vaccine, Will our Governments take Control  of this issue and distribute  thru Embassies or we wait on Thailand Vaccines 

Whose govt is Responsible ? I guess the topic is unanswerable at moment 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You really are an optimist, are you not...

Thailand may offer vaccine to you from US, or it might offer it from Uncle Xi. Nobody knows what happens when mass vaccination starts and what side effects vaccinated people might have. If all goes well, Thailand will start vaccinations somewhere 2nd quarter next year. You don't want to guess your queue number.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

You really are an optimist, are you not...

Thailand may offer vaccine to you from US, or it might offer it from Uncle Xi. Nobody knows what happens when mass vaccination starts and what side effects vaccinated people might have. If all goes well, Thailand will start vaccinations somewhere 2nd quarter next year. You don't want to guess your queue number.

Queue number will depend on whatever  you are willing to pay.

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 8:38 PM, stuandjulie said:

You really think that Embassies are going to organise jabs ? I think you can answer your own question if you think about it.

If it only was organizing.

The BioNtech/Pfizer vaccine must be transported/stored at -80 Celsius.

Aside from that: Thai government will hardly give up its authority on drug/meds control.

No way for such idea.

If you want vaccine approved by your country go there and draw a queue ticket.

Maybe get one within next year.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

As I understand it, all the vaccines are Chinese vaccines, they are all made in China like many drugs and no doubt other vaccines that people take.

Did you care to inform yourself in any way?

The first promising stuff is BioNtech/Pfizer developed in Germany.

Other stuff developed/tested in the US and many more.

No way that loosely tested Russian or Chinese stuff will be approved in the west.

Not sure about Thailand and their intimate Chinese friends.

• Confused 1

I wouldn't be surprise if a supply was sent to a countries foreign embassies - but - I’d guess the supply will only be for the embassies expatriate staff (not locally employed staff from the country to which the embassy located) and other staff who are stationed in that embassy on official duties. 

I wouldn't expect a local embassy to import a supply for use with their own nationals/citizens. 

• Like 1

The Thai government announced in  November that they have signed a deal with AstraZeneca to receive 23 million doses of the Oxford vaccine. There will also be a transfer of technology for this vaccine to be produced in Thailand. Planned distribution is May 2021.

With regards to expats the likely solution is to get vaccinated at a private hospital.

• Like 1

Surely you jest.

Even Hong Kong has agreed to buy Pfizer's Western vaccine. Half of HK's vaccines will come from Pfizer and the other half will be China's "unproven" Sinovac vaccine, said Carrie Lam, yesterday

Giant Pfizer manufactures its covid-19 vaccine in Kalamazoo, Michigan. That's what is being sent to New York. Chinese are still looking for Kalamazoo on the map.

Thailand also can manufacture vaccines and signed an agreement with AstraZenica to mass produce their vaccine here.

India is the world's largest manufacturer of vaccines in general.

Edited by Scott

If I was still  living in Australia I would be entitled to a free influenza vaccination every year and since I have got older a couple of others.

Since I have been in Thailand I have never been contacted by the Aus government asking if I would like them to send me one for free.

I don’t think anything will change with Covid, so I will continue doing what I have done for years, that is visiting my excellent private hospital and paying for the vaccine myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, new2here said:

I wouldn't be surprise if a supply was sent to a countries foreign embassies - but - I’d guess the supply will only be for the embassies expatriate staff (not locally employed staff from the country to which the embassy located) and other staff who are stationed in that embassy on official duties. 

I wouldn't expect a local embassy to import a supply for use with their own nationals/citizens. 

Supplies would be sent to Embassy and Consular staff  of most countries,  but as for their citizens in that country, I doubt it.

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Thailand has an agreement with AstraZeneca for Siam Bioscience to manufacture the Oxford vaccine under licence in Thailand. This is supposed to be from mid 2021, Thailand would then be the principal supplier of the Oxford vaccine for SE Asia.

As for your embassy doing anything to help you, dream on.

have to wait for the Russians to get on board lol..

7 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

you can still spread covid if vaccinated,

This is not known.

One would logically expect that vaccinated people would be much less likely to spread the virus (since their immune systems quickly contain it) but it has not yet been studied.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

have to wait for the Russians to get on board lol..

That's totally different. The cooperation with Russia and the Sputnik V vaccine is a trial to see if there are additional benefits from giving an injection of each rather, than two shots of the same vaccine. They intend conducting a similar study in the UK with the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines, once the Oxford vaccine gets approval.

2 hours ago, grobec said:

i think they just “paused” it again due to a volunteer death.

I've seen no report on that, do you have a source or is it just fake news?

On 12/10/2020 at 3:02 PM, fishtank said:

Queue number will depend on whatever  you are willing to pay.

Wouldn't matter to me. I'd be happy to pay. Just found out that those countries who placed their requirements under the EU order umbrella will not start as promised because they aren't getting anywhere near what the want AND Brussels is in no hurry to approve the vaccine.