Honda Civic RS gearbox

Dck87

Hi all,

We bought a second hand car, after it had been checked by Honda 6 months ago and found to have no issues.
After we took it to Honda today, we were informed that the gearbox case has cracked (before we bought it) and the owner at the time had welded it replaced.

They've now advised that we need to replace it at a cost of 200,000 baht, even though it's something that wasn't noted before.
Also not covered under warranty ????

We will file a police report as the previous seller hasn't disclosed this information, however I don't expect it to go far.

Any advise of where else I can look for the second hand gearbox or somewhere that is cheaper?
Bit lost as it's a huge expense..

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

I think it's best to find an independent honda garage. They can source second hand parts and it should work out quite a bit cheaper. Is this a new honda 1.5 turbo? Or an older civic?

Thanks Davis and completely agree. 
It's a newer 1.5 turbo (2019 model to be precise)

2 minutes ago, Dck87 said:

Thanks Davis and completely agree. 
It's a newer 1.5 turbo (2019 model to be precise)

Why is it not covered under warranty? Because someone tried to repair it perhaps? Is the car lowered? Makes me wonder how a gearbox case can get cracked. Pity its not the 2004 honda civic rs. That gearbox would be plentiful and not expensive. Perhaps a search on facebook is in order to find someone who can service it. 

12 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Why is it not covered under warranty? Because someone tried to repair it perhaps? Is the car lowered? Makes me wonder how a gearbox case can get cracked. Pity its not the 2004 honda civic rs. That gearbox would be plentiful and not expensive. Perhaps a search on facebook is in order to find someone who can service it. 

Unfortunately they weren't clear on details, or at least I couldn't get them out of my wife...
I wonder the same, if it is because somebody has tried to repair it by themselves

Cracked gearbox housing could also be from impact damage.  That would not be warranty.  

Is the Honda dealer recommending the replacement the same one that checked the car before purchase?  

An independent mechanic is a good idea to comment on the Honda dealer recommendation to replace the casing.  If the weld is cracking and near a mount or load bearing part of the transmission, it could be a safety issue.  Alternatively, if it is a small crack from something hitting the transmission that has been poorly welded, it may be repairable.   

I would definitely go and find another mechanic let them check it over, if you was in Phuket I know a great guy, 

The main Honda dealers get on my nerves everytime my wife takes her car in for service they are always on her case, this needs changing that needs changing, they must be thinking mia farang have money, farang can pay.

Thanks all for the responses.

I've been pushing back with Honda and found out yesterday evening that the car was in a major accident before we purchased, and recorded as a total lost (around 1.1m baht repair costs)
Judging by the damage (we managed to find photos of the totaled car on facebook), they have reshelled the car and tried to hide the severity of the damage.

Will be taking this in a different path now...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dck87 said:

Thanks all for the responses.

I've been pushing back with Honda and found out yesterday evening that the car was in a major accident before we purchased, and recorded as a total lost (around 1.1m baht repair costs)
Judging by the damage (we managed to find photos of the totaled car on facebook), they have reshelled the car and tried to hide the severity of the damage.

Will be taking this in a different path now...

Did you purchase the vehicle from an Authorised Honda dealer (i.e. as a Honda Certified Used Car) ?

This is fraud. Good luck with the case and please keep us updated when you can. 

Question: As it has been written off previously are your insurance helping you out at all in pursuing a fraud case against the company which sold the car? 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did you purchase the vehicle from an Authorised Honda dealer (i.e. as a Honda Certified Used Car) ?

This is fraud. Good luck with the case and please keep us updated when you can. 

Question: As it has been written off previously are your insurance helping you out at all in pursuing a fraud case against the company which sold the car? 

Private seller unfortunately which is my mistake, first time buying a car here.
Repair job is top notch with the reshelling and I knew no different, just some aspects that we have found recently has raised concerns.

Hence I did some more investigating with the wife, calls to Honda and another insurance company and found the true extent of the damage.

I have the advertisement which never highlighted any issues, recorded calls with the seller, extensive photos of the damage and news articles surrounding it.

Either way, with both the seller and Honda, it is fraud by misrepresentation. 
It was returned to ownership of Honda Leasing and repaired to a visually good level (not with Honda due to high costs), and sold on, somehow slipping the Honda radar.

Insurance company aren't involved yet, I've got 2 lawyers lined up through some work contacts.

Would you recommend contacting the insurance company too?

Unfortunately the price they've insured it for is 100k less than what we have paid ????

5 minutes ago, Dck87 said:

Private seller unfortunately which is my mistake, first time buying a car here.
Repair job is top notch with the reshelling and I knew no different, just some aspects that we have found recently has raised concerns.

Hence I did some more investigating with the wife, calls to Honda and another insurance company and found the true extent of the damage.

I have the advertisement which never highlighted any issues, recorded calls with the seller, extensive photos of the damage and news articles surrounding it.

Either way, with both the seller and Honda, it is fraud by misrepresentation. 
It was returned to ownership of Honda Leasing and repaired to a visually good level (not with Honda due to high costs), and sold on, somehow slipping the Honda radar.

Insurance company aren't involved yet, I've got 2 lawyers lined up through some work contacts.

Would you recommend contacting the insurance company too?

Unfortunately the price they've insured it for is 100k less than what we have paid ????

I can’t recommend anything as I have no experience of such fraud. 

However, the best the insurance company can do is to ‘pay out’, based on the fact it was a written off, I wonder if there is any scope then for the Insurance lawyers to chase the fraud claim. 

Unfortunately, rolling it off a cliff and re-writing it off would be insurance fraud.

The Private Seller you purchased the car from, was it from a Private Car Tent? or perhaps an individual who fixes up written off cars and poses as a private seller, selling their own vehicle?

Whoever sold that car to you knew they were cheating you. 

On 12/11/2020 at 6:49 PM, Dck87 said:

Hi all,

We bought a second hand car, after it had been checked by Honda 6 months ago and found to have no issues.
After we took it to Honda today, we were informed that the gearbox case has cracked (before we bought it) and the owner at the time had welded it replaced.

They've now advised that we need to replace it at a cost of 200,000 baht, even though it's something that wasn't noted before.
Also not covered under warranty ????

We will file a police report as the previous seller hasn't disclosed this information, however I don't expect it to go far.

Any advise of where else I can look for the second hand gearbox or somewhere that is cheaper?
Bit lost as it's a huge expense..

Contact https://www.facebook.com/speedway52honda

They are probably the most known shop in Thailand for repairing Civic FC and FK gearboxes. A rebuild will cost around 22,000 THB. They can source second hand ones as well.