ASQ in Phuket

Mai mee

OK, I'm ready to suck it up, pay the insurance pirates, COE, and ASQ to get back to my home in Phuket. I can't stand being in the States any longer. So..... what's up with the Phuket ASQ hotels? Last I heard, HKT was closed on the International side so except for a few rich <deleted> on a private jet, and some empty jet from a Gulf state...How does one do ASQ in Phuket? Or is it just more of the same same smiles and BS. I've been planning to ASQ in BKK, but I'd rather do it right in my own neighborhood in Patong if I could, so is it possible? Are any of the 17 Phuket ASQ venues actually operating or is it all smoke and mirrors and waiting for the governor or somebody to allow HKT to open to international flights. Is anybody actually quarantining in Phuket now?

• Confused 1

I wanted to do the same and sent money yo a registered hotel in Patong. I have a UK passport. The hotel manager called me and kindly returned my money in full stating that it was his belief that AQS in Phuket was for people on direct flights only. In other words yes, private jets.

My local Thai consulate actually approved my initial schedule which was all on Emirates (code share to HKT from BKK) so I was quite happy until I spoke to the hotel manager in Patong. Needless to say I have now changed my plans and have booked my quarantine in Bangkok.

M

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

there are NO direct commercial flights into phuket now, only private

Qatar Airways is selling tickets on nonstop flights from Doha to Phuket on some days in December and January, and every day in February, though I have no idea whether those flights will actually operate.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Qatar Airways is selling tickets on nonstop flights from Doha to Phuket on some days in December and January, and every day in February, though I have no idea whether those flights will actually operate.

I have a open return ticket from Doha to Phuket.

I'm planning to return back to Thailand beginning of March.

But I will try to rebook to Bangkok instead as it is unclear when the airport will open and what kind of ASQ hotels will be available for a reasonable price.

Bangkok has many good and reasonable affordable ASQ hotels and Phuket not.

Only problem could be that Qatar would refuse to change the destination from Phuket Bangkok for free as the airport should be open in their eyes.

• Like 1

It seems like Bangkok is getting all the business ASQ what was the point of hotels in Phuket spending all that money converting their hotels to accommodate tourist when there is no direct flights.

My friend couldn't get a direct flight to Phuket, had to do her 14 days in BKK that was only a couple of weeks ago

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It seems like Bangkok is getting all the business ASQ what was the point of hotels in Phuket spending all that money converting their hotels to accommodate tourist when there is no direct flights.

My friend couldn't get a direct flight to Phuket, had to do her 14 days in BKK that was only a couple of weeks ago

If you see the average prices of the Phuket ASQ hotels, it's just ridiculous expensive with 100.000 Baht and higher as normal. (some cheaper ones are available but not much)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, merijn said:

If you see the average prices of the Phuket ASQ hotels, it's just ridiculous expensive with 100.000 Baht and higher as normal. (some cheaper ones are available but not much)

In the beginning I saw the first 3 or 4 hotels that were listed, I thought then thats going to be expensive if they want to encourage people to come they should be doing special deals but no this is Thailand

2 hours ago, merijn said:

More evidence of Phuket derangement syndrome... no sign that the pause for reflection the pandemic has brought has restored anyone to sanity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

In the beginning I saw the first 3 or 4 hotels that were listed, I thought then thats going to be expensive if they want to encourage people to come they should be doing special deals but no this is Thailand

A very simple ASQ hotel in Patong is already more expensive then the Le Meridien hotel Bangkok with better conditions.

• Like 1

In addition, Phuket currently has “no more than” 10 foreign tourists who recently arrived on the island.

“All of them are currently serving their 14-day quarantine now,” he said.

From previous statistics, a lot of passengers preferred to come to Phuket first before travelling to Bangkok,” he explained.

“If we can make this happen, a lot of tourists will come,” Mr Bhummitkitti noted.

“We now have a lot of ALQ hotels with thousands of rooms available [in Phuket], but at this stage we have not more than 20 rooms have been used,” he pointed out.

As of Monday (Dec 14), the Phuket Provincial Health Office reported that 21 hotels in Phuket had now been ratified to operate as ALQ venues, altogether offering 2,554 rooms available.

The rooms are currently empty of guests as no international tourists are allowed to land directly in Phuket.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-smile-flights-hoped-to-spark-tourism-boost-for-phuket-78345.php?fbclid=IwAR0tP0tVEEHFQFf7Jt9l1KjpyIEPzvR4_x2oKlDBndSAeNoE855ri1V2HEA

soon  will they allow direct flights in?  thats the only hope Phuket has for surviving

Edited by zzzzz

8 hours ago, zzzzz said:

soon  will they allow direct flights in?  thats the only hope Phuket has for surviving

I don't think there will be ANY significant tourist arrivals until the quarantine stuff is over. The only people who will suffer through this system are expat types who got locked out and will do whatever it takes and spend whatever it takes to return to their homes and loved ones in Thailand....  maybe a FEW of the European "winter-overs" but I'd do anything to escape a Finnish winter too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mai mee said:

I don't think there will be ANY significant tourist arrivals until the quarantine stuff is over. The only people who will suffer through this system are expat types who got locked out and will do whatever it takes and spend whatever it takes to return to their homes and loved ones in Thailand....  maybe a FEW of the European "winter-overs" but I'd do anything to escape a Finnish winter too.

I think you are completely right, I'm still locked out and want to return to Phuket and had a open ticket to Phuket.

As it is very unsure when international flights will resume to Phuket (only opening of the airport is not enough, without enough bookings the flights will be cancelled) I also changed my ticket from Phuket to Bangkok as I'm sure that I can get there and do my quarantine and after this i will take a domestic flight to Phuket.

13 minutes ago, merijn said:

I think you are completely right, I'm still locked out and want to return to Phuket and had a open ticket to Phuket.

As it is very unsure when international flights will resume to Phuket (only opening of the airport is not enough, without enough bookings the flights will be cancelled) I also changed my ticket from Phuket to Bangkok as I'm sure that I can get there and do my quarantine and after this i will take a domestic flight to Phuket.

Yes that seems to be the only way in from abroad now. I'm currently getting my stuff together to apply for the COE and visa to return, hopefully by mid January... It'll be the beginning of Feb realistically before I can reach Phuket after ASQ in BKK. D@@m they're making it difficult.

22 hours ago, Mai mee said:

Yes that seems to be the only way in from abroad now. I'm currently getting my stuff together to apply for the COE and visa to return, hopefully by mid January... It'll be the beginning of Feb realistically before I can reach Phuket after ASQ in BKK. D@@m they're making it difficult.

I have my flight booked to Bangkok and organized my ASQ hotel yesterday.

But I noticed that the rooms are filling up faster now as more people are allowed to enter.

In the next few days/weeks I will apply for the COE letter.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:51 AM, merijn said:

Qatar Airways flight QR 978, nonstop from Doha to Phuket, is currently en route and scheduled to land in Phuket about three hours from now. The same flight is scheduled to fly again on Monday, December 21.

Edited by khunjeff
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Qatar Airways flight QR 978, nonstop from Doha to Phuket, is currently en route and scheduled to land in Phuket about three hours from now. The same flight is scheduled to fly again on Monday, December 21.

Yes. Seems 30 pax landed and into quarantine. Progress.

12 hours ago, khunjeff said:

According to the Qatar Airways website, flight QR978 Doha to Phuket on December 21 has been cancelled. They'll obviously need to fill more than 30 seats on a long-haul flight like this.

It looks like Qatar is offering Doha -> BKK -> HKT utilizing a codeshare with Bangkok Airways for the BKK->HKT leg, but I'm not sure how a stopover and plane change in BKK works in this environment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrDave said:

It looks like Qatar is offering Doha -> BKK -> HKT utilizing a codeshare with Bangkok Airways for the BKK->HKT leg, but I'm not sure how a stopover and plane change in BKK works in this environment.

I think it will be very hard to be allowed in a domestic flight from BKK to HKT before doing the quarantine.....

The next Qatar direct flight to HKT is scheduled for the 28th of December

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DrDave said:

According to the Qatar Airways website, flight QR978 Doha to Phuket on December 21 has been cancelled. They'll obviously need to fill more than 30 seats on a long-haul flight like this.

Quarantine has to be done at first point of entry.

Maybe they will provide the domestic flight after your 15 days quarantine in Bangkok.

12 hours ago, DrDave said:

PHUKET: The first international tourists to land at Phuket International Airport since the COVID-19 lockdown began eight months ago, arrived in Phuket today (Dec 18).

The 30 passengers arrived on Qatar Airways Flight QR 978 direct from Doha, touching down in Phuket at 11:45am today, said the report.

The 30 passengers comprised 25 foreign tourists and five Thai nationals.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/first-post-lockdown-tourists-land-at-phuket-airport-78376.php

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

PHUKET: The first international tourists to land at Phuket International Airport since the COVID-19 lockdown began eight months ago, arrived in Phuket today (Dec 18).

The 30 passengers arrived on Qatar Airways Flight QR 978 direct from Doha, touching down in Phuket at 11:45am today, said the report.

The 30 passengers comprised 25 foreign tourists and five Thai nationals.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/first-post-lockdown-tourists-land-at-phuket-airport-78376.php

Correct - the flight on Dec 18 was direct from Doha, but that's the last one for the time being.

According to the Qatar Airways website, these direct flights are now cancelled and have been replaced with QR frights to BKK and a codeshare connection to Phuket. Last I checked, they were accepting bookings for these DOH->HKT itineraries, but I think they'll have to cancel the connection to Phuket once they learn passengers will not be permitted to board the BKK->HKT leg after de-planing the inbound flight from Doha.

7 hours ago, DrDave said:

Correct - the flight on Dec 18 was direct from Doha, but that's the last one for the time being.

According to the Qatar Airways website, these direct flights are now cancelled and have been replaced with QR frights to BKK and a codeshare connection to Phuket. Last I checked, they were accepting bookings for these DOH->HKT itineraries, but I think they'll have to cancel the connection to Phuket once they learn passengers will not be permitted to board the BKK->HKT leg after de-planing the inbound flight from Doha.

Will be interesting to see how they will handle this as you are required to do the quarantine at first point of entry. Maybe they will provide the domestic flight after your quarantine period. 

• Like 1

My friend had booked with Qatar Airways to fly into HKT direct on Dec 28th. They cancelled his flight a few days before and even neglected to inform him it was cancelled. He just happened to notice it had disappeared from the app he was using. They told him there would be no more flights until Jan, though Dec flights are still listed on their website.

He then inquired with a private jet company about getting a transfer to his Phuket ASQ from Bangkok, and they emailed him saying that, "The connection between commercial and private jets is not allowed." So even that doesn't seem to be an option, despite apparent information to the contrary. Best you can do is play Qatar Airways roulette and hope your flight isn't cancelled last minute.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 7:21 AM, Lazarus Long said:

My friend had booked with Qatar Airways to fly into HKT direct on Dec 28th. They cancelled his flight a few days before and even neglected to inform him it was cancelled. He just happened to notice it had disappeared from the app he was using. They told him there would be no more flights until Jan, though Dec flights are still listed on their website.

He then inquired with a private jet company about getting a transfer to his Phuket ASQ from Bangkok, and they emailed him saying that, "The connection between commercial and private jets is not allowed." So even that doesn't seem to be an option, despite apparent information to the contrary. Best you can do is play Qatar Airways roulette and hope your flight isn't cancelled last minute.

That's the reason I changed my Qatar flight from Phuket to Bangkok as the risk of cancellations is just to high.

Hi Guys,

I am looking to leave the UK next week and travel to Phuket, after reading above is this still the case with landing in Bangkok first I will have to do my quarantine there before I can get a connecting flight to Phuket? as all the flights I am looking at seem to be connecting straight away without any mention. Also I am not sure how to apply for Visa's as there is so much mixed and contradicting information if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.