New Pickup Truck Recommendations

Banana7

I'm considering purchasing a new pickup truck with an all-in price less than 900,000 . Any recommendations? I prefer the double cab/ 4 door with automatic transmission, 2 wheel drive is ok.

Are there usually year-end bargains, maybe demonstrators, or remaining 2020's before the 2021 vehicles arrive?

Those Ford Rangers look nice, especially one with a new 2.0L engine and 10 speed transmission.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I'm considering purchasing a new pickup truck with an all-in price less than 900,000 . Any recommendations? I prefer the double cab/ 4 door with automatic transmission, 2 wheel drive is ok.

Are there usually year-end bargains, maybe demonstrators, or remaining 2020's before the 2021 vehicles arrive?

Those Ford Rangers look nice, especially one with a new 2.0L engine and 10 speed transmission.

I think the 2.0 is in the Wirral and raptor. Those exceed 900k. You can check the Ford Thailand website for prices. The 2.2 is used in the lower spec rangers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Would a 10 speed gearbox not wear out quicker than a 5 speed as it is changing more often. Just asking as I am a motoring thickie! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Would+a+10+speed+gearbox+not+wear+out+quicker+than+a+5+speed&oq=Would+a+10+speed+gearbox+not+wear+out+quicker+than+a+5+speed&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

The 10-speed transmission has closer gear ratios, which results in smoother, more controlled towing. Another benefit of the close gear ratios is a very smooth, imperceptible downshifting, especially when driving downhill on a steep grade.

That explains everything!   LOL

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Would a 10 speed gearbox not wear out quicker than a 5 speed as it is changing more often. Just asking as I am a motoring thickie! 

Ford has been using that 10 speed transmission in their F-150 pickup trucks, for many years, which is the best selling truck in USA and Canada for many years. Unfortunately F-150 not available in Thailand. No complaints of the gear box wearing out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seajae said:

we bought a nissan navara calibre sportech 2wd 4 door top of the range  just under 3 years ago and its great, also comes in at your price.

I would damn well hope so at that age, but just wait until its fourth birthday!    LOL

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Only 5 years. My 9 year old Vigo, 200,000 km has had no issues whatsoever. The only thing it hauls though, is my ass wherever I want to go!    LOL

Those Toyota Vigo trucks seem to be history. No new Vigo trucks after 2015. Are Hilux Revo the new version and just as good?

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

Those Toyota Vigo trucks seem to be history. No new Vigo trucks after 2015. Are Hilux Revo the new version and just as good?

I shall not know until I need to replace my Vigo in about 10 years!

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Have you done anything special beyond regular maintenance as recommended by Ford? Do you use  synthetic oil?

Nothing special, regular oil changes with synthetic oils every 15,000 kilometres, changed two sets of tyres, first lot 90,000, second lot the other day 80,000 ki,ometres.

Two weeks ago changed the oils in the gearbox and differential.

One battery couple of years ago.

One hose to the filter 750 baht.

Housing at front of shaft 3,800 baht, Ford wanted 10,000 baht plus labour.

I stopped Ford after the 100,000 warranty and use another mechanic at less than half the price, still haven't had to change the breaks....Lol

The car has served me well and is worth the 800,000 baht investment which I said to myself if it depreciates at 100,000 baht a year plus other costs insurance 15,000 baht a year and services 2,200 baht every 15,000 kilometres, its worth it to me.

Recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Banana 7,

We'll the bigger question is: Part of the problem or part of the solution?

Purchased a Toyota 2.7 liter petrol in 2016 at The Bitech Motor Show.

This was with the full intention to convert it to an LPG fuel system.

10 baht a liter, all the power of conventional fuels, and a 60 liter tank. 

I have seen enough pollution from Denver Colorado to Beijing, China and vowed never to be part of the planets pollution problems from operatimg Diesel Engines, or diesel powerplants. 

This decision is personal and limits your selection and displaces your spare tire to be mounted in your cargo/bed area.

For references: 60 liters yields approx. 230 kilometers @ 150 kph  Favorable conditions and traffic lights from Phra Khanong to Ao Monao: approx. 2 hours 45mins with fuel to spare. 

HAPPY HUNTING

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

At my age living here there is and was only one brand and that was Toyota. Now I must admit that Ford look real good had me tempted but regardless of not being made in the U.S. the American name Ford and I'm a American learn my lesson " no way Jose ".

So in 2018, August after attending the Motor show in Bangkok although I had already made up my mind just want to see everything on one day and one place.

In the end, based on what I wanted to spend my choice was the Hilux 900,000 baht 4 door, 7 speed Automatic Model E plus 2 wheel drive.  In no hurry I had for months run around dealership to see what was the best price I could get including Bangkok.  The listed price was 890,000 for this model, leather interior no extra charge ( I don't think it is really leather )  the difference in the E vs the G next model up first was price the G starts at 960, the difference I saw was the dash comes with digital instrumentation I being old school like the dials, the G, has a rear center console A/C vent if you are riding more than two might need it but although I do pack 4 much of the time the only one complaining is my fat ass son wife. Instead of just the rear camera it comes with GPS.

My E, I ask for in the price,  floor mats, side floor boards, door guards. window protectors, tinted windows, 60/40 cargo liner, one year insurance value at 23,000 baht?  I went in with these suggestion and wrote down 860,000 didn't say no got up then came back and can I bring in 60,000 in cash and rest in check. Deal!  went down the road and ordered 25,000 baht rear painted (white) cover for the cargo bed.

I've had this truck now for 2 plus years although the only time I take it out is for long trip particularly to my wife farm just pass 10,000 KMs the 7 speed auto is more than enough in fact too much on the open road I just put it on EcoPower not sure what a full tank holds but last trip had it top off back to Pattaya 650 KM, and the tank is still half full!  Last August service 2800 baht has a 5 year warranty Toyota is the only brand.

You sure thats a 7 speed auto ?

whats a 60/40 cargo liner ?

10 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

You sure thats a 7 speed auto ?

whats a 60/40 cargo liner ?

What I do know when you fire up the vehicle and place it to drive it shows 4, driving around town in Pattaya I don't even have to move it it still tacks very low not above 2,000 rpm, you can move it from 4 down to 3-2-1 or up 5-6-after six you shift it to the left and it goes to D. I'm no expert but that looks like a 7 speed auto to me?

Maybe I listed it incorrectly, 60-40 refers to the tinted windows  60 on the sides and back 40 for the front.

• Thanks 1