Why hold on to the old Pattaya nightlife scene when the new emerging one looks so good?

webfact

On 12/14/2020 at 3:38 PM, champers said:

Add in the fact that they will be amongst the first to get vaccinated and you could see a "grey explosion" in Pattaya before the Chinese and Indians start to return in big numbers.

The grey explosion don't do much for keeping the lights on in establishments after 11pm.  

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The grey explosion don't do much for keeping the lights on in establishments after 11pm.  

If that is the case the establishments need to work round the needs of those customers, not the other way round.

• Like 1

Just now, champers said:

If that is the case the establishments need to work round the needs of those customers, not the other way round.

Do you see many catering for retiree expats at the moment? 

Why would they cater for older tourists  in the future, IF they are the first western tourists back to Pattaya?

On 12/15/2020 at 1:58 PM, wavodavo said:

unlike Pattaya where you can sit in a beachside bar and have lunch.This is why Pattaya will always survive.

I think you will find Pattaya will survive because of the sex trade which attracts tourists, albeit, sex tourists, who then have lunch in a beachside bar.  

The beach and bars here are nothing without without the sex trade.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why would they cater for older tourists  in the future, IF they are the first western tourists back to Pattaya?

I took a Baht bus along the length of Klang today at about 6. All the open bars were pretty quiet as we might expect but there was one opposite R Con hotel that was packed with older guys. I don't know what the attraction was but they were doing something others weren't.

Lots of businesses have had to adapt their model to meet the change in customer base. It is a matter of survival and the changes may not need to be permanent but fit for purpose according to present circumstances.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I believe I was talking about thai Investors, who see a different future. Pattaya got it all, and just needs a facelift. 

Why would a Thai invest in Pattaya?  

What's Pattaya got that it's competition hasn't, besides the sex trade?  It's certainly not the beach.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, champers said:

I took a Baht bus along the length of Klang today at about 6. All the open bars were pretty quiet as we might expect but there was one opposite R Con hotel that was packed with older guys. I don't know what the attraction was but they were doing something others weren't.

Lots of businesses have had to adapt their model to meet the change in customer base. It is a matter of survival and the changes may not need to be permanent but fit for purpose according to present circumstances.

Your previous post suggested businesses should cater for the older tourists, the "grey explosion." 

Seriously, do you see this demographic dinking a lot, ringing the bell, paying bar fines etc, and doing the aforementioned night after night, until at least 2am, over a 2 week holiday?  

Not much money in the "grey explosion."  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Your previous post suggested businesses should cater for the older tourists, the "grey explosion." 

Seriously, do you see this demographic dinking a lot, ringing the bell, paying bar fines etc, and doing the aforementioned night after night, until at least 2am, over a 2 week holiday?  

Not much money for certain places maybe. I think retirees come for months rather than weeks, tend to be in long term relationships and their nights out might not involve bedding girls from beer bars and ringing the bell. It is a bit of a generalisation but I often say that Pattaya can cater for all tastes and all ages.

I will have to leave this discussion for now; my cocoa is ready.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why would a Thai invest in Pattaya?  

What's Pattaya got that it's competition hasn't, besides the sex trade?  It's certainly not the beach.  

we have to wait and see, what comes up next. But Pattaya will never die, and most investors in Pattaya is already thais ????

5 good reasons Pattaya will survive

1. relative short distance to airport

2. Bangkok

3. Infrastructure already in place (hotels, shoppingmalls, and typical tourist attractions)

4. Shopping malls

5. The beach

6. Future highspeed train

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, champers said:

Not much money for certain places maybe. I think retirees come for months rather than weeks, tend to be in long term relationships and their nights out might not involve bedding girls from beer bars and ringing the bell. It is a bit of a generalisation but I often say that Pattaya can cater for all tastes and all ages.

I will have to leave this discussion for now; my cocoa is ready.????

The new visa laws turned away a lot of snowbirds.  It was the fourth month of their snowbird trip that Thailand was no longer willing to accommodate, so, I know a few now going to Vietnam.    

In any case, not sure how having a Thai girlfriend for a few months a year is much assistance to the nightlife businesses here, unless they serve coccoa at 150 baht a cup.  ???? 

9 minutes ago, Tagged said:

we have to wait and see, what comes up next. But Pattaya will never die, and most investors in Pattaya is already thais ????

5 good reasons Pattaya will survive

1. relative short distance to airport

2. Bangkok

3. Infrastructure already in place (hotels, shoppingmalls, and typical tourist attractions)

4. Shopping malls

5. The beach

6. Future highspeed train

You have changed from Pattaya will attract Thai investors, to Pattaya will never die.

I agree, Pattaya will never die, with the stipulation that the sex trade is allowed to continue here.  If the sex trade was to cease in Pattaya, it's game over.

I agree with your list, but in 2021, why would a Thai invest in Pattaya, or anyone else for that matter, and if they did, when do you see them getting a return on their investment?   

26 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Not to mention that even on a good night,  it's more of a dribble than an explosion.

• Haha 2

On 12/15/2020 at 11:08 AM, Lacessit said:

I might have been interested in Pattaya ten years ago, but not now. IMO there would be a lot of older retirees here that could not give a toss either.

Even if they all looked like this, which they probably don't.

thaihoneys.jpg

Hey, thanks for that. I was just sitting and wondering where I could see some chicks with d1x and you delivered! 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 3:38 PM, champers said:

Those who are retired have more money to spend than they did pre Covid. Add in the fact that they will be amongst the first to get vaccinated and you could see a "grey explosion" in Pattaya before the Chinese and Indians start to return in big numbers.

Sure, the retirees in Pattaya are loaded and where never to been seen following the happy hour to happy hour in the bar scene to get a beer 5 THB cheaper.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You have changed from Pattaya will attract Thai investors, to Pattaya will never die.

I agree, Pattaya will never die, with the stipulation that the sex trade is allowed to continue here.  If the sex trade was to cease in Pattaya, it's game over.

I agree with your list, but in 2021, why would a Thai invest in Pattaya, or anyone else for that matter, and if they did, when do you see them getting a return on their investment?   

First of all thais own most of the buildings that host restaurants, bars etc, so the investors is already there. 

I do not see Pattya as it was, it will change, and it will change for many diffrent reasons 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

With respect @Leaver I'm not sure what age group you refer to, but, my first visit here was in about 2005 when I was 52, myself & a mate came for a month, we started drinking at about 12 midday, hit Walking street about 8 PM, partied all night till the early hours in places like Club Boche (spl), Secrets, Angelwitch, Abbes,  Beavers, Babydollls, and loads of other places, names of which escape me now.

We spent shed loads of dosh, had a great time, 6 months later come back for another month, rinse and repeat ???????????? ????

We did that for a few years before we both retired here and slowed down a bit ???????? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

With respect @Leaver I'm not sure what age group you refer to, but, my first visit here was in about 2005 when I was 52, myself & a mate came for a month, we started drinking at about 12 midday, hit Walking street about 8 PM, partied all night till the early hours in places like Club Boche (spl), Secrets, Angelwitch, Abbes,  Beavers, Babydollls, and loads of other places, names of which escape me now.

We spent shed loads of dosh, had a great time, 6 months later come back for another month, rinse and repeat ????????????????

We did that for a few years before we both retired here and slowed down a bit ???????? 

You were not retired, and only 52.

The member to which I replied to stated retirees will be the first back to Thailand (tourists) most likely because they will be the first to receive the vaccination, globally.  I tend to agree with this, however, in my opinion, there will not be much money in them for the local Pattaya economy, for the reasons I mentioned.    

57 minutes ago, Tagged said:

First of all thais own most of the buildings that host restaurants, bars etc, so the investors is already there. 

I do not see Pattya as it was, it will change, and it will change for many diffrent reasons 

I know Thai's own most of the land / buildings here.  A lot of it is "old money."  That investment was made long ago.  Why would a Thai buy into Pattaya in 2021?

For me, I saw the change here about 18 months ago.  That's why I started a thread on this forum. 

What changes do you see? 

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You were not retired, and only 52.

The member to which I replied to stated retirees will be the first back to Thailand (tourists) most likely because they will be the first to receive the vaccination, globally.  I tend to agree with this, however, in my opinion, there will not be much money in them for the local Pattaya economy, for the reasons I mentioned.    

Very sorry, I was more referring to this post, I was very grey ????????

Your previous post suggested businesses should cater for the older tourists, the "grey explosion." 

On 12/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, Lacessit said:

I might have been interested in Pattaya ten years ago, but not now. IMO there would be a lot of older retirees here that could not give a toss either.

Even if they all looked like this, which they probably don't.

thaihoneys.jpg

These days they look like that

fat.jpg

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Very sorry, I was more referring to this post, I was very grey ????????

Your previous post suggested businesses should cater for the older tourists, the "grey explosion." 

In my opinion, just for starters, as soon as covid is finished, Thailand should issue 1 year multi tourists visas, and issue a decree all hospitality venues can open until 5am. 

Thailand would need to send a clear message to the world it's open for business, and ready to party again.    

• Like 1

I find it very odd that someone wbo thinks that the old Pattaya scene and who it caters to is outdated and dying, yet he chooses to share his views on a forum primarily made up of that market.

Also sponsoring a weekly live feed from a bar fitting the historical criteria watched primarily by desperate sex tourists gagging to return seems at odds with his vision of the future. It's almost like he doesn't know his own market. 

I'm assuming Tatler Thailand got first dibs on his amazing insight of " Neo" Pattaya  but didn't buy it. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

The cheaper eating places like Hungry Hippo and Cheap Charlies, most definitely. Looks like meal times at the home! But it is not 'many' I agree.

Edited by jacko45k