Local elections in Thailand: Booze ban in place this weekend

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Therefore in areas where there are elections there will be a ban in place from 6pm Saturday to 6 pm Sunday.

Elections will take place at the temple here. But well noted anyway. No drinking in the temple premises between 6pm Saturday to 6pm Sunday!!!

7 hours ago, YetAnother said:

the ridiculous war on alcohol here continues; farang cant vote thus should be exempted from this foolishness

I have noticed many farangs buying alcohol at Seven Eleven stores, as long as it is bagged in such a way as to hide the contents. I've also seen farangs in restaurants, getting their Singha poured into tea glasses for covert consumption. Businesses which have a mostly non-Thai clientele, hate this law and will do nearly anything to circumvent it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

I have noticed many farangs buying alcohol at Seven Eleven stores, as long as it is bagged in such a way as to hide the contents. I've also seen farangs in restaurants, getting their Singha poured into tea glasses for covert consumption. Businesses which have a mostly non-Thai clientele, hate this law and will do nearly anything to circumvent it. 

This was common practice in Pakistan 'special tea', but never seen it here,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UTH001 said:

Yip, I think the vast majority of people living in Thailand have been affected by this, Thais and foreigners. And BECAUSE of that, everybody should be allowed to have a drink, to celebrate that it is all over!

Yes you can celebrate that its all over, after 6pm Sunday????

2 hours ago, thcosh said:

With all this legal THC oil around, no booze needed anymore ❤️

I have seen no THC oil in the pharmacies that I frequent. Feel free to give details. I don't trust Thai police to KNOW that it is legal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davemos said:

So Sunday or Friday .? No areas named ? Clear as mud !  

Indeed...   The elections are provincial at the Aorborjor - Changwat / Aorbortaw - Amphur levels for Thailands 76 provinces. 

In this context Bangkok is not a Province its a ’special administration area' and has a Governor, there has been no election announced for Bangkok. 

Thus: The booze ban from 6pm Saturday to 6pm Sunday is to cover the Provincial Elections of the 76 provinces outside of Bangkok. 

Thus: It remains unclear if the Alcohol ban is by province and Bangkok itself is excluded or if the ban is nationwide.

Its also unclear if there are any provinces which are not having a vote. As someone else wrote, if there are lots of posters and pickups with speakers making a lot of noise - you are in a province which has an election. 

As usual clear as mud !!! 

-----

Additionally - there has been discussion on why these bans exist - As I understand it, its primarily to prevent ‘wealthy’ people from throwing parties for the community the night before a vote and gaining favour and thus votes (so the same amount of money goes into vote buying instead !!!). 

Such regulations should have been applied in the polling stations during the US election at least!

Many of the mishaps, computer malfunctions (most likely due to user mishandling) and incorrect countings (don't we all remember our issues verifying the correctness of the bills at the end of bar tours)  we heard rumours about could have been prevented, I'm sure! ????????

Edited by pepi2005

8 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

My friend is getting married this weekend with a reception happening at a certain restaurant on soi 49. Would this booze ban affect this?

Assuming you mean Soi 49 as in Sukhumvit Soi 49 in Bangkok.... 

It's possible that central Bangkok may not be impacted by the booze ban as there are no elections in Bangkok. 

But, that is not conformed, I’m just guessing based on the fact that there is no election in Bangkok. 

Best option to know for sure: Call up the venue and double check with them.

• Like 2

This notice is for the renters and homeless who have limited spaces to store their

booze, thank gosh for the Mom and Pop ran little businesses who have lots

of paper bags to put your special soda, and milk drinks so you can quickly get them

to your cars to take back to your homes.  Yes I have been in Thailand long enough to

follow this routine.  Life goes on.

Geezer

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Maj-Gen Yingyot Thepjamnong said at Royal Thai police HQ yesterday that RTP chief Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk had instructed the force to follow the statues

of the election law prohibiting the sale and distribution of alcohol.

So l presume if I stand still long enough I'll get away with it........????????????????

For those of you that are unsure, it's actually spelt statutes, I thank you ????????????

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

My friend is getting married this weekend with a reception happening at a certain restaurant on soi 49. Would this booze ban affect this?

It specifically mentions anyone organising parties where there is alcohol will be prosecuted if caught. 

As to whether this law applies to Bangkok I have no idea.