Jump to content

Local elections in Thailand: Booze ban in place this weekend


webfact

Recommended Posts

Local elections in Thailand: Booze ban in place this weekend

 

2pm.jpg

File photo for reference only

 

Pol Maj-Gen Yingyot Thepjamnong said at Royal Thai police HQ yesterday that RTP chief Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk had instructed the force to follow the statues of the election law prohibiting the sale and distribution of alcohol. 

 

Jurisdictions are to ensure that the 2018 law, section 147, is followed to the letter.

 

Municipal council elections will take place on Sunday, 20th December and the booze ban takes effect from 6pm on the day before to 6 pm on the day of the election.

 

Therefore in areas where there are elections there will be a ban in place from 6pm Saturday to 6 pm Sunday.

 

Those who break the law - that includes organizing parties where alcohol is served - face six months in jail and/or a 10,000 baht fine. 

 

Alcohol consumption at home is still permitted. 

 

Source: Komchadluek

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-15
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, webfact said:

had instructed the force to follow the statues of the election law prohibiting the sale and distribution of alcohol

the ridiculous war on alcohol here continues; farang cant vote thus should be exempted from this foolishness

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

Those who break the law - that includes organizing parties where alcohol is served - face six months in jail and/or a 10,000 baht fine

Just to be pedantic, 'served'. As opposed to a party where everyone bring their own and consume it themselves. Then it wouldn't be served.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

the ridiculous war on alcohol here continues; farang cant vote thus should be exempted from this foolishness

I've got a feeling Thais who haven't voted for a few years are ineligible to vote too. Should they also be exempted?

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

Therefore in areas where there are elections there will be a ban in place from 6pm Thursday to 6 pm Friday.

 

So presumably, some areas are exempt. Is there a list of affected/unaffected areas?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:
25 minutes ago, webfact said:

Therefore in areas where there are elections there will be a ban in place from 6pm Thursday to 6 pm Friday.

 

So presumably, some areas are exempt. Is there a list of affected/unaffected areas?

Afraid not - national security and all that...

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:
26 minutes ago, webfact said:

Therefore in areas where there are elections there will be a ban in place from 6pm Thursday to 6 pm Friday.

 

So presumably, some areas are exempt. Is there a list of affected/unaffected areas?

You mean, like a survival guide on a non booze day?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Susco said:

You mean, like a survival guide on a non booze day?

No, not at all. It's just that I planned to go out to see friends on Thursday. I don't drink alcohol at home, but enjoy a social beer now and then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

So presumably, some areas are exempt. Is there a list of affected/unaffected areas?

Take it that everywhere is banned but this is Thailand and not many abide to the rules except the large supermarket chains. Not been here long have you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

the ridiculous war on alcohol here continues; farang cant vote thus should be exempted from this foolishness

 

Do you really think this ban is about Farangs? 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Treating the electorate like children again.

 

Does this apply to hotel restaurants in Bangkok? I'd planned to take the girlfriend out for a nice meal but I'm not going to sit there like a naughty schoolboy drinking Coke.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

No, not at all. It's just that I planned to go out to see friends on Thursday. I don't drink alcohol at home, but enjoy a social beer now and then.

FYI "a ban in place from 6pm Saturday to 6 pm Sunday".  Not Thursday

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tourist venues should be exempt from this nonsense.

 

Why should people on holiday and staying in hotels or at resorts be subjected to ill-conceived election regulations?

 

From my experience they actively target the tourist areas with enforcement.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Alcohol consumption at home is still permitted.

So get yourself ratted at home, jump on the bike with Mrs and kids, drive to Polling Station, put your thumb print cos you cannot write. Go home to more bevvy! Simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

 

So presumably, some areas are exempt. Is there a list of affected/unaffected areas?

 

  Yes, all the back streets are exempt .

The Mom & Pop shops selling beer which needs to be drank from cups from 7/11

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why should people on holiday and staying in hotels or at resorts be subjected to ill-conceived election regulations?

No holidays this week,

 

Thou shalt stay at home and vote!

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

Are your streets clogged with posters of would-be crims? Are you deafened by [email protected] music from slow-moving vans? If not, you'll be ok to buy drink.

Yip, I think the vast majority of people living in Thailand have been affected by this, Thais and foreigners. And BECAUSE of that, everybody should be allowed to have a drink, to celebrate that it is all over!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I've got a feeling Thais who haven't voted for a few years are ineligible to vote too. Should they also be exempted?

Everyone who wants to be exempted should be allowed to be.  Ridiculous law.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...