Yellow book - questions

I went through all  the nonsense to get my Yellow Book some years ago, mainly because I/O at Chiang Rai told me that it was important that I had one, and convinced Khgun wife that  I should get one.  Photos with PYB, and some stuff from local Gov. office and then two visits to Bangkok to get marriage cert and birth cert validated by Br. Embassy, then officially translated into Thai.  Every step cost some small amount of money.  Then visits to Chaeng Wattana Immigration to submit docs.

Finally got the prized book.

What use has it been?  Absolutely none.  

I have tried to show it at local  I/O (Chiang Rai and Phayao) when extending retirement visa or doing TM30 and 90 day report.  I/O always waves it away and ignores it.  Similar at Immigration when entering Thailand.   

My conclusion?  WOFTAM!  (Waste of F*ing time and Money)   passport is the favoured ID in Thailand and I always use this at Bank.  never needed it for driving licence.  Driving licence has been used to get into national park.  Passport when checking into hotels.

My advice to anyone is not to bother unless you have time to spare, when it can be quite fun getting the Yellow Book.  You might not ever need it.

I have a car, in khun wife's name and insurance on vehicle, but yellow book never required.  Nor when I took my Thai driving test.  Local hospital more interested in ability to pay for treatment than ID.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Robin said:

I/O at Chiang Rai told me that it was important that I had one

yes - i went to ask today I/O at chiangrai office - they told me the same and they told me they never ever heard that the visa-stamp must be translated in thai! nobody would translate it for me!

they gave me a phone-number office at maesai - if the "important uncle" at the amphoe not will do it, he must call I/O maesai! they will explain to him!

and - tessaban here in our village works at the amphoe! 

so i hope will get this magic yellow book on friday! will keep you informed! ????
and thanks again to all posters for the very useful informations!

On 12/15/2020 at 8:03 PM, sibille said:

thanks for this very useful informations!

another question - what is the advantage of this yellow book anyway? It doesn't make sense for me to sacrifice so much time and money for a document so that I might get a few baht discounts in the national park - maybe just, it doesn't seem to be accepted everywhere! i have had a thai driving license for years, which is usually enough - i'm more than 60 years old and speak a little thai too! ????

Again the advantages of having the YB/PC differs from province to province.  I gave up on it as a waste of time after I made some inquiries IN MY AREA eg local banks dont want it, Immigration not interested, licensing office refuse it, and hospitals dont recognise it.  Other documents such as passport, residence certificate etc get you the same result with a lot less hassle especially if you live away from the main centres.    Always best to inquire first.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, Robin said:

My advice to anyone is not to bother unless you have time to spare, when it can be quite fun getting the Yellow Book.  You might not ever need it.

YES!!! you are right! thanks - went to the amphoe again this morning - with the google-translated stamp from my 1-year-visa ???? - this is ok the "officer" told me - BUT you must also translate the passport (name etc. etc.) and so on...! no thanks - i will NOT do that! - story over - enjoy hassle-free life live - no yellow book - no problems! ???? 

not an answer to your question, but just to say, after getting my yellow book some 5 years ago, i applied for a thai style id pink card, at the same ampur, and had one in a couple of days. while this card by no means is in lieu of  a passport, i found it useful for tourist attraction discounts, and also as id.

whenever im asked for id (not police) i show my pink card and if thats not enough i dig out my passport. So far it's been good for rail, bus travel, my bank, shops, and many other situations. all i would say is that its virtualy free and is very useful, and doesnt appear to have n expiry date.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When I next renew my Drivers and Motorcycle licence I will need two Affirmation of Residence documents from the Embassy - For this I will need to make an appointment (usually two weeks ahead) then pay about 5000 baht for both documents.... OR, I can use my Yellow Tabien House Book.

oh -  so i am lucky - i can get my confirmation of residence at the local I/O - or i can order and pay it online at my embassy!

i live already more then 30 years without this yellow book and pink id-card - and i hope to live another 30 years without that! ????
i thought, it will be easy today - but it seems at my amphoe (ฉันไม่ต้องการที่จะบอก)  so i will live without! thanks anyway for all the helpful informations pro or contra!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sibille said:

YES!!! you are right! thanks - went to the amphoe again this morning - with the google-translated stamp from my 1-year-visa ???? - this is ok the "officer" told me - BUT you must also translate the passport (name etc. etc.) and so on...! no thanks - i will NOT do that! - story over - enjoy hassle-free life live - no yellow book - no problems! ???? 

I live with less problems after I got Yellow House Book and pink ID-card for aliens; highly recommendable, even it was a quite complicated process to get the YHB where I live, but it was worth the efforts...????

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My wife went to the Tessabaan  in Udon and came back with "Same as marriage visa" which helps me ZERO considering I never applied for a marriage visa. She was shown a paper regarding procedures and documents but was not given a copy.  I think something was lost in translation and will have to go again myself.  Thanks for everyone's input.  It may make more sense once I learn more.

On 12/16/2020 at 1:47 PM, soi3eddie said:

Yellow book is not needed for Electric, Internet, TOT phone or bank account. I previously had all these in my name just using passport. 

As for your wife's house/land, on her passing simply do nothing. You may want her to make a will in advance of her intentions for you to remain. Maybe also get a usufruct or 30yr land rental as further protection. 

Try to keep friendly relations with neighbours and family. 

As for yellow book and pink id card then definitely advise getting it if you can (makes vehicle registration in your name as easy as a Thai). Each Amphur office has different requirements. Took me 3 visits +embassy verifaction of passport and MFA certification and 6 weeks to get mine. 

The only reason I live in this village is because of my wife and if she passes before me I may want to move.  It is not unlikely that the family will want a cut of my house sale if it involves them having to sign anything or go out of their way to help the process along.  If I'm moving away then I might be just another farang to them.  If they feel they have any leverage, well the price goes up or ultimately they don't have to do anything since I don't own the land and if I move anyway well there are lots of family members willing to move in after me.  I think a Will is the best strategy so at the very least they can see what my wife's intentions were.  Thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

First yellow book in Lopburi, Poo Yai Bahnand parents-in law only, no translations. 

Moved yellow book to Khon Kaen, just needed letter from old Amphur.

Moved to Bang Kae Khet, asked for my birth certificate to be legalised in UK, stamped by Thai Embassy, translated to Thai, verified at MoFA. Also needed copies of my parents passports.