Koh Samui: Holiday island  is in a "coma" on its last tourism legs

webfact

11 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

It has been like that at Coco Tams almost every night since people started travelling again.

I ask all of the groups that I check in 'Where do you plan to go whilst on Samui?'

Every Thai group replies 'Coco Tams'. The majority then also say 'Pig island'.

Because of the pandemic, we avoided Coco Tams.  Just too many people in one place.  But it's one of the few places on the island that's happening.  Other than that place up on the mountain! 55555

All the people go to coco tams as it’s the place to get your Instagram photo for those who want to be noticed on their social media in Bangkok. Long weekends it’s full as they all come in from Bkk . Plus the owners son has a lot of friends he knows from Bangkok as does the family and they are well known in Bangkok circles and most well to do people from Bkk would come to say hi as a point . These people don’t go to the average bar or restaurant on a street . So Sofitel in Bangkok is full also at weekends of similar groups when they have a pool party and rest of week it’s quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

All the people go to coco tams as it’s the place to get your Instagram photo for those who want to be noticed on their social media in Bangkok. Long weekends it’s full as they all come in from Bkk . Plus the owners son has a lot of friends he knows from Bangkok as does the family and they are well known in Bangkok circles and most well to do people from Bkk would come to say hi as a point . These people don’t go to the average bar or restaurant on a street . So Sofitel in Bangkok is full also at weekends of similar groups when they have a pool party and rest of week it’s quiet.

Where's he from?

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Where's he from?

The family are from samui as far as I remember as they own loads of land there  , from talking to the son he went to the best schools etc and their opening party had famous people from tv etc attending who all seemed to know the owners .

On 12/18/2020 at 6:18 PM, Bangyai said:

On my first trip there in 1979 , there wasn't even a road around the island. Just a connection of dirt tracks from one beach to the next. No electricity either and water was pumped by generator that also ran a few very low watt bulbs. Accommodation was 50 baht a night in a sort of tent mad of hard floor and thatched roof.

Looking at these pictures of how it is now , I don't think I would like to return whether it is Busy or not.

Definitely another paradise lost. 

Good,  they don't really want "Cheap Charlies" hanging around the beaches looking for something for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2020 at 10:33 PM, khunPer said:

2pm.jpg.cc0732f583fc9cca607f3fb8542a1a7b

This image from the opening post is not from now, it's an older picture from before Covid-19 close down, and it's of a beach known for it's privacy in one of the Asian Top-10 best beaches-list, as it's mainly resorts and some private homes facing the beach.

And why it's from before. either 2019 or early 2020, during midday before it got little more afternoon crowded. Because there is a Lomprayah catamaran ferry in the very back. Before 8 am there would be two, between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm there will be one, the one from Chumphon arriving and departing. Shortly after lockdown there were no more catamaran ferries, all service was provided by speed boats instead.

The blue sun beds, or rather air-filled mattresses, the second lot of sunbeds, are the Florist Resort, which closed immediately after Covid-19 lockdown in March, so did the first hotel on the soi 4 corner also with the first row of sunbeds, but has reopened now, whilst Florist Resort is still closed.

A noon image of a sunny beach will often be fairly deserted, especially one that is well known for privacy...????

So this is Maenam Beach ?

On 12/19/2020 at 11:58 AM, hotchilli said:

Geographically it's fine for foreign tourists, for Thais it's just too far from the rest of the country, but one has to ask why locals in the south don't go there, maybe they're happy with their own location and don't need Samui.

As for airfares to cut travel times you have to ask what the government can do?

They should wait until Bangkok Air goes 'belly up" and then buy the Samui airport cheaply.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 7:34 PM, Changoverandout said:

Looking forward to it and will try Angela’s. We’re staying at Coco Palm Beach Resort which looks good and has very good reviews.

I dont know where you are from but if you like friendly company try JORDAN bar in walking street, its owned by Mark a very friendly Aussie and is a favourite 'watering hole' for many local ex-pats  from UK, Europe,Australia and other places. Tell him that Aussie Dave sent you. And that i miss them all, even the city supporters.   lololol

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

So this is Maenam Beach ?

Indeed it is, looking west from Soi 4's sala, where there once in old time was a pier for the "express"-ferry to Koh Phangan; however the ferry still lands there in the season, but on the beach. In old time Soi 4 was known as "Soi Pier", today it's known as Maenam China Town Walking Street, and the sala has just been taken down, said to be done for a better seaview from the soi...????

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Bangkok Airways funded the airport.

The government funded nothing and did not care about Samui.

Prior to Covid, there were at least seven (or maybe nine) other airlines flying into Samui.

There have been other airlines flying into Samui since at least 2005 (Berjaya Air).

Firefly started about 2006/7

THAI were also flying here daily.

Most airlines stopped flying because of low number of customers, or in the case of Firefly and THAI - went to codeshare instead.

Some monopoly.

I was told that some airlines pulled out of Samui because of the high landing taxes ?

2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Rubbish ! there are two drive on drive off ferry companies from Samui to the mainland working hourly services. I always use Seatrans going to the mainland many times during my 12 years there.  So if you have never been there , don't post nonsense.

Ooh didn’t know that, I assumed everyone paddled across under their own steam. I suppose you’ll be telling me next that ferries are safe and reliable.

and as for not going, I was first there in 1990, it was quite nice then, I even went back in 2004, but didn’t like it at all.  
I suppose it just got better and better From then?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

These discussions always amuse me.  Places obviously change over time, and people change and their tastes change. Comments like "I remember Samui before it had electricity and it is not the same now".  No, now it has electricity and is much better and everyone who lives or visits there likes the electricity. However 40 years ago you were much younger and more adventurous and now you are grumpy.

Old people always harp back to "the good old days" no matter where they live.  It's nothing to do with the place, it is all down to the person.  Places evolve.  On Samui we got an airport, the island developed.  Turn up for the first time in your life as an 18 year old tomorrow (ignore Covid) and you would love it, from the first impression of the airport to the whole experience.  You don't like it because it is different to 1990 when YOU were very different.  For 99% of people the electricity, the airport, the running water, the underground cables, even the high end resorts, they are all good.

"It's not like it used to be" must be the most common comment on absolutely anywhere on earth!!  And again, it is the person most of then time.  "Ooooo the youth of today" is another.

I used to go to Samui when I first moved to Thailand in 1995.  Loved it.  Then got bored of it.  I went back this year for the first time in about 18 years, thought it was great.  It still had a charm.  It had supermarkets.  It had Chi and Coco Tams.  It has changed / progressed.  Deal with it or forever become the old bore in the rocking chair complaining about progress.  

My point really wasn't to be nostalgic. I do agree with you about that. My original point is that Samui is the worst place in Thailand

25 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

My point really wasn't to be nostalgic. I do agree with you about that. My original point is that Samui is the worst place in Thailand

Worst for some, best for others. Samui has one of the best weather conditions in Thailand for a beach place, the wet season is around 2 months,  even then is not that bad. Clean air,  OK shopping, etc. Very good conditions for kayaking and swimming, not so good for cycling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Obviously it is personal opinion, but how can you say it's the worst place in Thailand?  What, objectively, causes you to say that?  Would love to know your reasons.

When Thailand has Pattaya, Bang Saen, many completely charmless Isan towns (my personal opinion, also been to many very pleasant Isan towns and village), Chumpon (Zzzzzzz) and any number of dull, generic industrial towns, saying Samui is the worst place in Thailand seems a bit dramatic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I dont know where you are from but if you like friendly company try JORDAN bar in walking street, its owned by Mark a very friendly Aussie and is a favourite 'watering hole' for many local ex-pats  from UK, Europe,Australia and other places. Tell him that Aussie Dave sent you. And that i miss them all, even the city supporters.   lololol

Will do Dave.

18 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I suppose you’ll be telling me next that ferries are safe and reliable.

The ferries are probably the most safe way of transportation, when the destination in question is Samui – most fatal way of transportation in order of risk (to my knowledge): Motorbike; road traffic in general, including walking; bus, including minibus; speed boat; airplane.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gearbox said:

I live in Samui and I've seen tons of beaches in Asia. I don't know who makes these Top-XX rankings...in my books  even the best beach in Samui would not make it to the Top 200.  Samui all in all has average beaches,  usually not the clear tropical water some would expect. At rare occasions the wind will die completely and the mud/sediment will go down, the water will get really clear and that's when you get all these brochure photos.

KPH and Tao are way better but still not match to the beaches on the Andaman side,  let alone the beaches in Indonesia for example.

Take a look at the beaches in Zanzibar 

• Like 1