When Is A Honda Accord Not An Accord...

when it's an Acura TLX? 

The Honda Accord sold in Thailand has always been a bit of an odd duck. People often say it is much more expensive than Accords sold in other markets. For the U.S. models this is certainly true. However, they are also much higher spec than even the top model sold in the States. The Thai models are Accords, with some of the safety and tech from Acura thrown in, so a kind of hybrid of an Accord and, for this comparison, an Acura TLX also made by Honda. 

A few examples off the top of my head...the top spec Thai Accord, the Hybrid Tech, comes with a 360° surround camera system, front parking sensors, auto high-beam, auto-folding mirrors, rain sensors, remote engine start, spoiler, and a more sophisticated adaptive cruise-control system than the top spec American Accord (2.0T Touring). It also has low speed emergency stop and following, again missing from the American version. These safety and convenience features are found on the TLX. 

A couple areas where the American Accord best the Thai varient is it's 19" wheels (18 in Thailand) and adaptive suspension. There are heated and vented seats too.When it comes to pricing...the American Accord tops out at $38,000 and the TLX at $48k. Thai Thai Hybrid Tech prices at $57k...almost 10k more than even the Acura. However, if we think of the Hybrid Tech as closer to the TLX than a bog-standard U.S. Accord, the price is easier to swallow...at a 20% premium (rather than a 40% premium for the Accord).

Any thoughts?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m also interested in the Accord. Did you end up buying one? Hard to get specific info. Interested in knowing the exact differences in the 3 models available? Appreciate the info you provided. I don’t live in Pattaya, but expect easier to communicate with the dealers there. 

A new "bog standard" Accord runs about  $25K or about THB750K in the US while a new TLX starts at about $37K or about THB1.1M

I think both are built in the US.

You can order the TLX emblems from the US and just re-badge your Honda... 

Edited by Yellowtail
added text

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

A new "bog standard" Accord runs about  $25K or about THB750K in the US while a new TLX starts at about $37K or about THB1.1M

I think both are built in the US.

You can order the TLX emblems from the US and just re-badge your Honda... 

We don't have the Acura in the UK but I always thought it was a positioned a cut above as per your prices above and this review -

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/2021-acura-tlx-vs-2021-honda-accord-differences-and-similarities

Unless easily available in Thailand not even sure why the OP is comparing.......

On 1/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, topt said:

We don't have the Acura in the UK but I always thought it was a positioned a cut above as per your prices above and this review -

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/2021-acura-tlx-vs-2021-honda-accord-differences-and-similarities

Unless easily available in Thailand not even sure why the OP is comparing.......

That's the reason for the comparison...Acura isn't available in Thailand and the Accord sold in Thailand isn't the same in terms of equipment as the model sold in the US. And if one is interested in a Honda product in Thailand the only choice is from the Honda line-up. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 9:50 AM, fm2002 said:

I’m also interested in the Accord. Did you end up buying one? Hard to get specific info. Interested in knowing the exact differences in the 3 models available? Appreciate the info you provided. I don’t live in Pattaya, but expect easier to communicate with the dealers there. 

What specifically do you want to know? If you're interested in the latest safety and autonomous driving tech it's on the two higher spec Hybrid Accords.

No, it' a Honda Accord designed for sale in Thailand. There is nothing special about it. It uses the same Honda Sensing Technology that is used on Honda US vehicles including Acura's. 

Instead of comparing what you think makes it a great value, research what it doesn't have. You can start with Airbags. I would bet there is not any model or brand of car sold in Thailand that have comparable safety equipment and specs of the same vehicles built for and sold in the US, Japan and most other countries that have vehicle safety requirements. 

Having to pay 1,799,000 baht (almost $60,000) in Thailand for a similar equipped vehicle that sales in the US, for a MSRP of $38,000 before discount isn't a good deal.

• Confused 1

My Honda Accord here in Australia was made in Thailand.

Admittedly it's only a 2013 model but, for the first few years I was driving it.. there were several features that its rivals never had.

The camera in the left hand mirror, three separate reversing cameras, the HD in the music system that recorded and kept any CD you played...  pretty good for 2013.  I think I paid AUD$45K total.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

No, it' a Honda Accord designed for sale in Thailand. There is nothing special about it. It uses the same Honda Sensing Technology that is used on Honda US vehicles including Acura's. 

Instead of comparing what you think makes it a great value, research what it doesn't have. You can start with Airbags. I would bet there is not any model or brand of car sold in Thailand that have comparable safety equipment and specs of the same vehicles built for and sold in the US, Japan and most other countries that have vehicle safety requirements. 

Having to pay 1,799,000 baht (almost $60,000) in Thailand for a similar equipped vehicle that sales in the US, for a MSRP of $38,000 before discount isn't a good deal.

Cars sold in Thailand don't have air bags? Do any?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

A pimped-out 1.7M Accord is available in Thailand...the similar (but not fully pimped-out) 1.2M US Accord isn't. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

4 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

My Honda Accord here in Australia was made in Thailand.

Admittedly it's only a 2013 model but, for the first few years I was driving it.. there were several features that its rivals never had.

The camera in the left hand mirror, three separate reversing cameras, the HD in the music system that recorded and kept any CD you played...  pretty good for 2013.  I think I paid AUD$45K total.

My current ride is the 2014 2.4L Accord and tech wise, it was very advanced for it's day and still holds it's own against all but the latest models. The left side camera (left-hand mirror) when changing lanes/turning still bugs out my friends. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

A pimped-out 1.7M Accord is available in Thailand...the similar (but not fully pimped-out) 1.2M US Accord isn't. 

Yes, no one in the US would pay 1.7M for car they can buy for 753K because it had a few more electronic gizmos on it.

How does the "pimped out" 1.7M Accord available in Thailand compare to the 1.1M Acura TLX available in the US? 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, no one in the US would pay 1.7M for car they can buy for 753K because it had a few more electronic gizmos on it.

How does the "pimped out" 1.7M Accord available in Thailand compare to the 1.1M Acura TLX available in the US? 

See my op...I wanted to compare the TOP spec Thai Accord with the US and Acura models. My argument is that at least the Thai Honda has some features of the Acura and is not a bog standard US Accord. I'm not saying it's worth B1.8M but if you want one in Thailand that's the price...doesn't matter what they sell for anywhere else.

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

See my op...I wanted to compare the TOP spec Thai Accord with the US and Acura models. My argument is that at least the Thai Honda has some features of the Acura and is not a bog standard US Accord. I'm not saying it's worth B1.8M but if you want one in Thailand that's the price...doesn't matter what they sell for anywhere else.

Yes, the 1.8M Accord sold in Thailand is nicer than the "bog standard" 753K Accord sold in the US and has "some of the features" from the 1.1M Acura sold in the US.

Exactly, it doesn't matter what it sells for elsewhere, if you want it you buy it, if you don't, you don't. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Most cars in Thailand have a full complement of airbags, and have for years.

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

I don't know where you got that info from, the Accord we have has got  airbags front and rear!

12 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I thought this post was saying no airbags.

21 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I thought this post was saying no airbags.

Saying:  "I would bet there is not any model or brand of car sold in Thailand that have comparable safety equipment and specs of the same vehicles built for and sold in the US, Japan and most other countries that have vehicle safety requirements."  is not the same as saying the Accord has no airbags.

I'm not saying the statement is true of false, but clearly it is very different from claiming cars in Thailand have no airbags, yes? 

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Thanks. I thought they were saying the Accord in Thailand didn't have them.

I think what the member was saying is they didn't have as many...but they do now. For a number of years Thai cars had only driver or driver and passenger airbags but now most have a full complement of them.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 9:41 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

A couple areas where the American Accord best the Thai varient is it's 19" wheels (18 in Thailand) and adaptive suspension. There are heated and vented seats too.

Any thoughts?

The heated seats are great for the US market.  Probably not as important in Thailand.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:09 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

"Pimped Out" to me suggests fake sheepskin seat covers, a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror, curb feelers, bumper static straps and a set of 26 inch rims with the lowest profile "pothole finding" tires available. 

Please enlighten me to what "pimped out" extras are on a Thai Accord Hybrid Tech.