growing avocado from seed

NACHALUAY

my wife is  a natural in the garden. we have many different crops, mostly from seed, however weve had no joy with avocados.

we have many avocado trees from seeds. some  from the changmai variety, some from imported fruit, and  a couple i brought from my home in the Canary islands.

after 5 years , no sign of any fruit.

any ideas?

Avocados take between 5 and 13 years before they bear fruit, depending on the cultivar. As CLW correctly stated, grafting scions/cuttings from mature trees onto younger rootstock will help you shorten that time. 

You also need to check the altitude. If I remember correctly, and feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, avocados need to be planted above a certain altitude in order for them to thrive. 

Out of curiosity, what cultivars do you have? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, djayz said:

Avocados take between 5 and 13 years before they bear fruit, depending on the cultivar. As CLW correctly stated, grafting scions/cuttings from mature trees onto younger rootstock will help you shorten that time. 

You also need to check the altitude. If I remember correctly, and feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, avocados need to be planted above a certain altitude in order for them to thrive. 

Out of curiosity, what cultivars do you have? 

I now of people in Prasat Surin that have avocados growing and bearing fruit. Soil is the s-h-y-t. On the farm in Kap Choeng the wife has planted at least 200 threes and they are thriving. She went through over 1000 kilos of fresh avocados sent down from CNX to make avocado milk which she made a small fortune. Boxes went from 25 kilos to 50 kilos and save all the seeds. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

This is what she was doing 3 bottles for 100 bath or 35 bath a bottle. She and other friends kicking in. 

image.png.8162855e63426bd4f0ba66b004d8d3d2.png

image.png.cc5c82bf4fb44b2115f43e88593bc551.png

image.png.4db18c9271694cc0639d7b51d823ca19.png

May I be so bold as to ask which cultivate she used and how exactly does one "milk an avocado"? 

1 hour ago, djayz said:

May I be so bold as to ask which cultivate she used and how exactly does one "milk an avocado"? 

She is one of about 15 people that has a permit from The Department of Agriculture here in KC because of her organic garden, green house and big big pond. You due not add milk an avocado. Take the meat add milk and honey put together in a blinder. She started doing gigs at Tops Surin then she branched out to OTOPS at Chong Chom as they say the rest was history. She was going threw 10 gallons of milk a day and putting out up to 100 bottles of her avocado milk. I tried to have her add some Sangsom.???? Her big finally was the Surin Elephant Abusement Fair. She was selling up 120 bottles a day for 10 days. Yes avocados due grow in Surin. BTW she does not have to pay anywhere for the stall  because of her permit from the DOA. ????

Edited by khwaibah

khwaibah

If I understand what you are saying correctly then the stuff your wife is making and selling is avocado blended with cows milk to make a drink.

If that is correct what does it taste like?

Why is it selling so well?  Does it have some sort of beneficial effects(real or supposed)?

I would have never thought to blend it with milk.

I like avocado in a sandwich.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OOTAI said:

khwaibah

If I understand what you are saying correctly then the stuff your wife is making and selling is avocado blended with cows milk to make a drink.

If that is correct what does it taste like?

Why is it selling so well?  Does it have some sort of beneficial effects(real or supposed)?

I would have never thought to blend it with milk.

I like avocado in a sandwich.

Avocado smoothies are big in Vietnam, but I've never seen them here.  They taste great.

Vietnamese Avocado Smoothie (Sinh Tố Bơ) | Wok and Kin

• Like 1