PCR test 72 hours before departure... how is that possible?

The average turn-around time for PCR testing is about 3 days.

It's not possible to get a PCR test and results within 72 hours. The new "rapid" tests don't count? On some official Thai websites they don't state "PCR" but on others they do state "PCR"

What am I supposed to do? 

What have others done?

I guess depends on the country. For example at the Istanbul airport you can get a PCR test within 7 hours,  for around $33. Many test centres in other countries offer the same day result, at a premium price. Just pick up the phone and start calling.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, KwaiMaiSabai said:

anyone happen to know of something in the boston/MA area that would work?

checked about 10 places so far and everything is 3-10 day wait time. yikes.

Wow, that sucks. Another option is to have a short stay in a different country or a different state,  do the test there and continue flying.

50 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

31 Smith Place Cambridge, MA 02138

https://covidtesting.proems.com

Thanks for the rec. Did you use them? I'll be trying them and did find them in my search. however, their lab sourcing is Broad Institute (as most of the sourcing around here) which supposedly has some processing delays and does not offer expedited processing for an extra fee (??)

I have not found any labs that do direct-to-consumer testing yet, or any kind of extra fee for expedited processing

Didn't use them. I am departing for Thailand on Jan 12th departing Jan 12th from DFW. I will need to fly to Dallas three days early and get an expedited test there as I can not get it done where I am in Florida.

Your post said "It's not possible to get a PCR test and results within 72 hours."  The one I linked to say 24-36 hours.

If you checked them out and there are no other options nearby then consider getting the test in another city. I know Dallas and Atlanta have labs that will do an expedited test for a extra fee. Probably other major hubs like NYC and LA do also.

A friend of mine needed a short notice PCR test to fly overseas for work. He flew from Pensacola to Dallas, got the PCR test, and flew back all on the same day. It cost $400 for same day results but it was worth it to him.

• Like 1

I repatriated with my Thai wife back in September and I had FOUR different PCR tests and all of them came within the 72 hour window.  ATL area with flight from LAX. The quickest was a Pixel Home test that you sent in for processing

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaiscot said:

It is only the results than need to be with in 72 hrs not when you get  tested  .......

I would be very cautious about it. 

I agree that the english translation of the official requirements asks only for a " certificate..... issued no more than 72 hors before travelling " but, apart from the fact that it would be an illogical rule, the Thai Embassy in my country (Italy) told me that, if there is on the certificate the test date and time, this is the moment that must be 72 hours before the first flight.

I have tried to clarify the matter further contacting Emirates and Qatar, whose staff will check my certificate, but I could not get a clear answer.

In my personal situation to get this certificate is for sure the more difficult requirement to comply with, but I do not want to risk a denied boarding

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KwaiMaiSabai said:

The average turn-around time for PCR testing is about 3 days.

It's not possible to get a PCR test and results within 72 hours. The new "rapid" tests don't count? On some official Thai websites they don't state "PCR" but on others they do state "PCR"

What am I supposed to do? 

What have others done?

You did not say what country you are in? However my friend from the USA was very worried about this also, and could not get a time guaranty from most places. He decided to drive to Sacramento CA. a two hour drive and pay $475 usd for a test. He got results while he waited and they sent to his Doctor. He then drove home today. Tomorrow he goes to his doctor to get the necessary forms and the next day gets on his plane for BKK.   Very Expensive but works for sure!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KwaiMaiSabai said:

anyone happen to know of something in the boston/MA area that would work?

checked about 10 places so far and everything is 3-10 day wait time. yikes.

Call Children's Hospital in Waltham.  Unless I misunderstood, someone I know got both the fit-to-fly and a covid test within the 72 hour window there.

• Like 1

I'm having the same issue trying to fly out of Los Angeles with the Test time vs. "Issue" time... Does anybody know of someone who was refused boarding because the "test" time was over 72 hrs but the "Issue" time was within 72 hrs?  All the testing centers I have access to say 48-72 hrs to get the results after testing, making the hoop seemingly impossible to jump through. 

Any experience on this? I know the Thai Consulate website here uses the expression "Issued" but a previous poster indicated his consulate was guiding based on testing time.

A Medical certificate with RT-PCR laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected.
     A Medical certificate should be issued no more than 72 hours before departure. 

A “Fit to Fly Health Certificate” issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

No wonder I don't have much hair left... Hopefully some of it will grow back once I'm back in Phuket

• Like 1

I agree that it’s not the easiest thing to find a place that does both the correct test (ie RT-PCR as required for CoE) AND can reliably get the results back to you within the 72hr time frame that the results remain “valid” for use as a part of the returning process.

That said, I do think that as C19 has become much more prevalent (sadly so) that there are also more testing sites open..  but i’m sure the testing capacity has equally been matched with demand as well.. but I digress...

I was able to get mine done by my local State Department of Public Health (free) but i had to be sure of the timing as they sole offices process tests locally, but smaller offices send them to larger regional labs- and those tests took a few days longer to be processed.

1 hour ago, Mai mee said:

I'm having the same issue trying to fly out of Los Angeles with the Test time vs. "Issue" time... Does anybody know of someone who was refused boarding because the "test" time was over 72 hrs but the "Issue" time was within 72 hrs?  All the testing centers I have access to say 48-72 hrs to get the results after testing, making the hoop seemingly impossible to jump through. 

Any experience on this? I know the Thai Consulate website here uses the expression "Issued" but a previous poster indicated his consulate was guiding based on testing time.

A Medical certificate with RT-PCR laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected.
     A Medical certificate should be issued no more than 72 hours before departure. 

A “Fit to Fly Health Certificate” issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

No wonder I don't have much hair left... Hopefully some of it will grow back once I'm back in Phuket

This might work for you.  I am checking them out now to use in San Diego.  I have an appointment for mid-January for Covid test and Fit to Fly for $200.

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/locations/ca/los-angeles/covid-19-testing/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George36 said:

This might work for you.  I am checking them out now to use in San Diego.  I have an appointment for mid-January for Covid test and Fit to Fly for $200.

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/locations/ca/los-angeles/covid-19-testing/

Thanks George, yes I've been talking to them... They are saying results in 48-72 hours, a bit tight. They say usually 48hrs but can take up to 72 hrs based on how busy the lab (not theirs I gather) is, and say they have no way to expedite... quoted me 225 for covid test and "Fit to Fly". It just feels like cutting it MIGHTY thin...

• Like 1

Been trying to figure my 72 hour window and options.  My flight departs 11:05 p.m. on a Wednesday.  72 hours back takes me to Sunday night at 11:05 p.m. 

Please pardon me if this has been discussed.  

I get the Covid test on Friday five days p, 120 hours) before the flight but the medical certificate isn’t issued until Monday, less than 72 hours before the flight.

Or, must I take the Covid test within 72 hours of flight AND the medical certificate issued within 72 hours before flight?

37 minutes ago, George36 said:

Or, must I take the Covid test within 72 hours of flight AND the medical certificate issued within 72 hours before flight?

That is the way I read the info on most embassy and consulate websites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Here’s a couple of places in L.A. you can check out.

https://www.myconciergemd.com/pre-flight-covid-19-pcr-testing/

https://chooseserenity.com/covid

Thx srowndedby,  myconcierge can do it pretty fast but expensive 225 for covid test PLUS $300 for Fit to Fly certificate but they're a hole card that CAN get it done quickly if I can't find a cheaper option by my travel date in mid Jan.

• Like 1

Well somehow people are getting onto all those repatriation and semi-commercial flights out of LAX for BKK every night. The airlines are letting people onto the planes. FWIW, the LA consulate website states "certificate issued no more than 72 hours before departure". I just don't see how all those people have been TESTED within the 72 hour period given the turnaround times the labs require.

I wonder if the Consulate or the Airline could offer any guidance?

5 hours ago, Mai mee said:

Does anybody know of someone who was refused boarding because the "test" time was over 72 hrs but the "Issue" time was within 72 hrs?  All the testing centers I have access to say 48-72 hrs to get the results after testing, making the hoop seemingly impossible to jump through. 

I had the same question and didn't find any reports on here of anyone being refused. I believe the requirement is for the results to be issued more more than 72 hours before scheduled takeoff, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people who think it's the time of the test that matters, and when you get to the airport your fate will be in the hands of a check-in clerk and whatever guidance they are looking at.

I didn't want any date on the certificate that was outside the 72 hour window - I managed to avoid that by getting a test within that window with the results the same day, but if that's not possible it might be worth finding out what the certificate looks like. If the only date on there is the date of the results then I can't see you being knocked back.

• Like 1

The lady I talked to at passport health said both times/dates appear... The issue time/date, and the testing time/date.

Also just got an email back from choose serenity.com.... they can do same day covid testing in LA, but can not provide a Fit to Fly certificate, only the lab tests

Edited by Mai mee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Also just got an email back from choose serenity.com.... they can do same day covid testing in LA, but can not provide a Fit to Fly certificate, only the lab tests

Sounds like you're there then. The fit to fly is easy - I think you can even do it by phone or zoom. In fact, there were reports of some places doing a combined fit to fly and test result that was knocked back on the grounds that two separate certificates are required, so it's probably better this way.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I guess it up to how the person reading the requirement interprets it.

This is what the IATA website states.

image.png.c189a00ec0947d96c5d28a9a2f9a98a1.png

Yeah, once again the exact term "issued" appears.      medical certificate...neg cov19..."issued".

I'm thinking if they were requiring "tested" within 72 hrs, given the lab turnaround times, we would have heard from people who didn't make it under the wire...

Okay, my 72 hour window is Sunday 11:05 p.m. through Eva Air departing LAX at 11:05 p.m. Wednesday.  

I drive up to LA, 90 minutes, on Monday to get the test.  Results come back Monday evening or Tuesday morning,  24 hours.  Good to go.

If 48 hours, results come back Wednesday morning, 12 hours before flight. Good to go.

Does this compute?  5555

Thanks

https://www.myconciergemd.com/online-scheduling-checkout/

Rapid COVID-19 PCR Swab 

Rule out active infection – $225 – We usually provide results in 24 hours or less but it may take up to 48 hours.

Sundays – All RT-PCR specimen collections on Sundays are processed Monday morning with results released later in the day or night on Monday.