Is 20 pushups max potential for some guys?

BananaBandit

A few years back, I decided to start doing pushups.  At that time, I was quite emaciated, under 16 BMI (no illness or substance abuse). The best I could do was 3 sets of 4 pushups (proper form). 

I soon achieved a more stable living situation, a woman to cook for me, etc. My weight shot up about 15 kilos. Within a few months, I was doing as many as 17 pushups at once. For the first time ever, I could really feel my pecs.  And my biceps increased 2 inches    (before, I was able to wrap my thumb and middle finger around the lower part of my biceps).   

Now about two years since that initial burst of strength, there really hasn't been much trajectory.  (My definition is a bit better, but i suspect it's due to the addition of a jump rope.)  And the most pushups I can do is 20.  (I wish to emphasize that I do my best to use proper pushup technique - buttockses stuck together, back in a straight line, etc. - I'm sure I could do far more than 20 if I were to bounce my nutters off the ground or imitate some of the other wretched displays of technique I've witnessed. Don't want none of that.)   I might do 3 sets (initial set max of 20, then say 17, 15 give or take) about 2 times per week.  

I'm around 40 years old. No smokey, no drinky. I eat (healthy food with lots of animal protein) like a wild pig.  I probably should mention that, although I'm rather broad-shouldered and wide-waisted, I have a gangling body type with wrists like a woman - I reckon this ain't the optimal foundation to turn myself into Terrell Owens. 

I'm really not interested in going to a gym for free weights or what not.   I just like to roam about on my own and then knock out some pushups under the sun.  I don't want to count "macros" or worry about protein combinations. I have no huge desire to be big. I rather like being spidery with some little bumps of muscle.

But it just seems curious to me that a "full-grown" man's potential would max out at 20 pushups.  

Edited by BananaBandit
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

And the most pushups I can do is 20.

congrats!  you can pass the army physical, but only barely, as a senior citizen!

https://usarmybasic.com/army-physical-fitness/male-pushup-standards

45 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

I might do 3 sets (initial set max of 20, then say 17, 15 give or take) about 2 times per week. 

absolutely pointless.

do 3 sets 3-4 times a day.

you, too, can be strong and hansum man!

OIP.ubQ3c9Kl5CCViYrtObmkrAAAAA?o=6&pid=A

• Haha 1

Four days a week. Start with 20 diamond (triangle) pushups, followed by 20 standard pushups and then 20 pushups using swivel pushup bars (locked in position).  The latter is for full movement of the shoulder to prevent impingement. Stopped doing wide hand pushups as they caused shoulder impingement which was agony. Since I stopped and started using the pushup bars, no more impingement pain.    

• Like 1

I can't see it being a hard limit, I'm sure it just means you need to change up your training if you want to do more than 20 reps. I would think the one handed pushup might be too hard at this point but there is a variant where you put one hand on something a few inches off the floor (like a basketball, or sometimes you can use the edge of the sofa). That might make it manageable. I don't really get the "how many reps..." thing anyway - it should be "how hard can you make it and still do 8 reps x 3".

• Like 1

I had a friend who claimed he could do 40 easily.

When he demonstrated his technique I noticed his naval barely left the ground and he was bent like a banana.

When I demonstrated the correct technique he was not too happy as he begrudged the extra effort.

I'm 63 and can manage between 25 and 30 depending on the severity of my hangover. But I only weigh 85 kilos so not much to lift.

I walk my dogs in the morning in a vehicle free area for over an hour. Whilst on this brisk walk this I do various numbers of pushups around every 10 or 15 minutes . I might start with 10 , 15 or 20 or even start on 30 to avoid muscle memory. Plenty about it in the net. I was 70 this year. I social drink but do not smoke.

Edited by Asquith Production
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

OK,

I took this as a personal challenge.  Could do 32 with 0 Lg Chang.  Drank 2 Lg Chang, waited 20 min until the burbing stopped.  Then did 42, yes regular style pushups.  Drank 2 more Lg Chang and waited another 20 min.  Then got to 44 and thought what the hell am I wasting my buzz for?  Stopped.  Drank 2 more over 20 minutes and now could care less about pushups, watching Spaceballs The Movie.

• Haha 1