Is 20 pushups max potential for some guys?

BananaBandit

Maybe you did reach your max and only a little earlier than most people. It's illusory to think that gains never end. Companies do promote that idea, though. And suppose you could do more? So? You good at doing low-intensity pushups. And? 

Better just be concerned with your overall health and fitness. Health means avoiding repetition stress injuries as well. I leave you with words of comfort and advice to make better use of your time from a guru who's been in the game a very long time:

Once you've reached your mid-forties, you are merely trying to hold onto what you've built over your lifetime thus far; you are 100% in maintenance mode. This is a very fearful thing for a lot of guys to hear. Especially, if they were never that muscular and strong to begin with. The idea that their time has passed, for PRs, and muscular increases, is a depressing proposition. . . .

A good workout -- a really good strength workout -- can be completed in between 20-30 minutes, even less if it's intense enough. I like to use a job analogy: all strength-training workouts take you to about the same place, more or less, in about five years, approximately the same muscularity, and body weight size and strength, but some guys are spending a couple hours at the gym everyday, versus other people spending as little as an hour at the gym every week. . . . The amount of weight, and the number of repetitions, ie, mechanical work, doesn't seem to matter that much. More important than how much or how many is HOW you perform each repetition -- that matters a lot.

--https://www.maxwellsc.com/blog.cfm?blogid=200

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

I walk my dogs in the morning in a vehicle free area for over an hour. Whilst on this brisk walk this I do various numbers of pushups around every 10 or 15 minutes . I might start with 10 , 15 or 20 or even start on 30 to avoid muscle memory. Plenty about it in the net. I was 70 this year. I social drink but do not smoke.

Better watch where you put your hands with the dog doo around

Edited by FritsSikkink

I only started resistance training at age 40..

That's when i began to notice a slight decline in natural ability. I also had the mind-set that "pumping iron" was for bodybuilders. I started with the Joe Weider 110lb. barbell/dumbbell set. Got an adjustable bench with leg extension/curl attachment and a cheap stationary bike. I discovered that I liked training, although music is essential. Otherwise I got bored..

I also discovered that I had a very slight case of OCD. I like to count. 2x8, 2x10, 3x8, 3x10, 3x12. After a year or so I wanted more challenge so joined Gold's Gym. Loved it. So many options. A few years later I moved to Pattaya. Explored the various stand-alone gyms available. Tony's for a year or so. Not happy there. Stopped for a year or so, then moved to a condo with good American gym quality equipment that they picked up second hand from a failed commercial gym. Been here 19 years. I love being able to get in the lift to get to my private gym. I'm alone most of the time.

However, by this time I more or less knew my physical limits and would get "stuck" with diminishing returns. I always did the same exercises in the same order. It was helpful to have a routine to follow. Recently I've decided to have some fun. Alternating routines. Doing exercises I had no time to incorporate because I didn't want to stop the exercises I was already doing..

I'm excited to start this strategy after January 1..  I still count and music is still essential.

as said before, change the number you do.

Personally i train till i can't do any more twice a week, three sets each to failure, using a different hand position each time i train.

google the different styles of pushup you can do.

variety helps stop you from a strength plateau.

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I suppose with everything, practice makes perfect.

If your not trying to build your biceps, shoulders and chest, forget push-ups.

For fitness, I prefer squats on the hour, every hour when sitting down doing my work, give me twenty proper squats and let me know how that compares with your 20 push ups.

Going back to push-ups, nothing wrong with them, but as I mentioned above, squats are the way to go, burn baby burn, core, hardcore.

Squats Funny GIFs | Tenor

Yeah, my mia noi is adept at that move.  Amazing quads, just amazing!  :wink:

• Haha 1

I should've added to my original post:  I'm especially interested in the viewpoint of guys who have a very long, very thin body type (i'm not so much talking about muscles but, rather, bones...tiny wrists, tiny ankles, stuff that's fundamental and basically can't be changed, regardless of diet, exercise, supplements). Maybe I'm excuse-seeking for my own failure to thrive, but I suspect this body type tends to be rather sensitive to strength-based exercise (maxes out early, takes longer to recover, etc.). Wondering if some of you other beanpoles have a similar take...

20 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

I suspect this body type tends to be rather sensitive to strength-based exercise (maxes out early, takes longer to recover, etc.).

Bodybuilding lore has the concept of a 'hard-gainer'; I think that covers your description. Not sure if they have a good way of dealing with it (short of roids + huge amounts of protein).

But there is the 'greasing the groove'* approach (due to/named by Pavel Tsatsouline). That involves doing multiple sets an exercise per day, (more or less) every day. But with plenty of rest (say >30 mins) between sets and going nowhere near failure (maybe <70% or maximum reps?)

Might be worth trying (read up on it first tho, my description may not be quite right).

*Cue riotous thinly-veiled obscenity.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

For fitness, I prefer squats on the hour, every hour when sitting down doing my work, give me twenty proper squats and let me know how that compares with your 20 push ups.

Going back to push-ups, nothing wrong with them, but as I mentioned above, squats are the way to go, burn baby burn, core, hardcore.

Those squats are really working for you. I find you quite attractive now.

• Haha 2

Remember when I was about 19 and thin as a rake.

Joined a martial arts class, I could only do about 10 press-ups, 6 situps etc.

But I trained 3 or 4 times a week.  Every session I could do more.

After about 3 months, I could do 100 pressups (include clapping, one-handed etc), 100 situps, 100.... etc

Those were the days.....

No 20 push-ips is not the maximun at alla for your age. I will take a wild gues and say it has to do with two things:

• You only do your program 2 times a week. Try maling it 4-5 timaes and week, and you will probably be able to do more.
  • Also you might have a problem pushing yourself over the pain threshhold. A problem for many body builders that makes them lack the ability to gain muscle mass and make more reps at higher weights.
19 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I soon achieved a more stable living situation, a woman to cook for me, etc.

So, in reality you are saying that you almost starved yourself to death because a lack of ability to cook? ????

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason
  • Haha 1

I'm a skinny, thin wristed man, just like you.

Some ideas that worked for me:

1. Try the 100 a day push up challenge for 30 days. It sounds like an insane amount,  but you can break it into sets of 10 every hour, and it's much easier than you might think. Just need to hit 100 each day.  100 push up challenge (YouTube)

2. Try pyramid sets: (substitute numbers as needed)

• Perform 10 Push-Ups.
  • Rest 10 seconds.
  • Perform nine Push-Ups.
  • Rest nine seconds.
  • Repeat this pattern all the way to the bottom of the pyramid (one Push-Up)

3. Get a push up app on your phone or pad like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shvagerfm.Pushups&hl=en_US&gl=US. I wasn't able to meet any goals till I started using the push up app. It sets a daily schedule for you with gradual increases and a clear end goal.

Finally, add some stretches to the routine as well as pull ups to maintain muscle balance (it'll save you a lot of pain later). Pull ups can be really hard to start, but even hanging from a bar and pulling yourself up an inch or two can develop those important muscles.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I couldn't agree more. Squats are the way to go! Doing weighted squats just once a week will bring results and get that burn fired up! Cheers!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I'm around 40 years old. No smokey, no drinky. I eat (healthy food with lots of animal protein) like a wild pig.

That was easy to figure out. 

Asterix1.png

A daily work-out with the chef might be better, why waste a good push-up?

Edited by hotchilli

1 hour ago, techietraveller84 said:

I'm a skinny, thin wristed man, just like you.

Some ideas that worked for me:

1. Try the 100 a day push up challenge for 30 days. It sounds like an insane amount,  but you can break it into sets of 10 every hour, and it's much easier than you might think. Just need to hit 100 each day.  100 push up challenge (YouTube)

For someone who is not trained before, it is kind of stupid to start doing 100 push ups every day. Better to give the muscles and joints at least 48 hours of rest. As said before, if you want progression doing push ups, you also need to do some core training, triceps, chest, shoulders and also back and biceps for the symetri for the upper body, and when you do all of that you add a leg day as well ????

However I understand op doesnt care about going to gym, but that is the future for old lads that want to stay fit ????

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Do you do barbell squats or dumbbell squats? What weight?

I have to admit, I do free weight squats with assistance, e.g. as I sit most of the day, 8 hours plus, I do my squats every hour, I get up and go to the end of my desk which is about a metre wide and start squatting, I squat all the way down, feet shoulder length apart and grab a leg at each end to assist me to come back up, I do this to keep my balance and it does help me complete my task, sort of like someone spotting you at the gym when doing the bench press so to speak, I do this because I have lower back pain and it makes it less painful for me, however that doesn't stop the burn.

I did try it with weights but with lower back pain as mentioned it didn't help so I do it this way and it keeps the heart rate turning while burning some calories every hour, as opposed to having an idle heart rate of 70 sitting for an hour, e.g. a quick 10 squats gets it up to 83 in no time, followed by another 10 squats in 30 seconds getting it to 93 and another 10 squats in 30 seconds getting it to 103, so 3 sets in an hour and the heart rate back to 70 within a few minutes, until the next hour.  

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

However I understand op doesnt care about going to gym, but that is the future for old lads that want to stay fit

Cardio. 

Nobody has died of not being muscular and symetrical.

Edited by VocalNeal

6 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:
On 12/21/2020 at 9:57 PM, BananaBandit said:

I soon achieved a more stable living situation, a woman to cook for me, etc.

So, in reality you are saying that you almost starved yourself to death because a lack of ability to cook? ????

Lack of a kitchen too. 

Also, I like having my woman spoonfeed me. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Cardio. 

Nobody has died of not being muscular and symetrical.

No, but science proove that elderly men need more muscles and therefor lifting is better for us than running, bicycling or anything else you would like to do to improve your cardio. But it is up to you to choose what you want to do, and of course if it is something you love, nothing is better than that. 

And you actually burn more calories than cardio lifting weight ???? and at the same time improve your T ????????

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/g19544024/reasons-lifting-is-better-than-cardio/

but each and one for itself, so it is up to you, Im not going to argue with you, if you think cardio is better. 

Lifelong gym rat here....if you want more than 20, then push, strain, scream, whatever to get the 21st, or else collapse onto the floor. Do it next time, too. Soon you'll be doing 30, 40, 50, if that is important to you. Some people can legitimately do hundreds at a time.

One caveat: know your body and its signals. Bad form can lead to a pinched nerve in your neck/upper back, or it can impact your rotator cuff, especially if you have a Type 1 or Type 2 acromion. I speak from experience, as a bazillion push-ups as well as tossing too many footballs and baseballs won me a cortisone shot for the RC. No surgery required, but it  did take a few months PT. Never had a problem since.

Also, remember to stretch after. Grasp your hand behind your back and pull, lest you get round shouldered.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Yeap, she can squat over me any day, any time, as many as she can ????

On 12/22/2020 at 11:04 AM, JHicks said:

I don't really get the "how many reps..." thing anyway - it should be "how hard can you make it and still do 8 reps x 3".

This. Even better, 2 reps x 4 as demonstrated here. Overall strength with safety should be the goal, not mindless low-intensity pushup reps during some random time when it's not raining or cloudy: I just like to roam about on my own and then knock out some pushups under the sun.