Where can I cash American Express travelers cheques in Pattaya?

Oldie

59 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Does anyone know a place where I can cash them? Banks that I asked don't take American Express cheques anymore. 

Are you sure Krung Thai Bank no longer accepts Travellers Cheques?

[There is only American Express Cheques nowadays]

Some of the crappier banks like Thai Farmers, SCB, Krungsri stopped changing them, but Krung Thai being the Bank of Thailand could always be relied upon.

Its been a while since I changed one, but I still have a few £500 cheques that I have kept as emergency back up money.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, champers said:

I hope, for your sake, that they are high value cheques because the fee went from 30 Baht per cheque cashed to 150 about 6 or 7 years ago. TT money exchanges used to cash them but not sure now. Good luck.

TT said no. I know the fee. But you need to be happy if someone takes them. Bought them more than 20 years ago on the Philippines. 

2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Some of the crappier banks like Thai Farmers, SCB, Krungsri stopped changing them, but Krung Thai being the Bank of Thailand could always be relied upon.

Its been a while since I changed one, but I still have a few £500 cheques that I have kept as emergency back up money.

I asked all the banks on the 4th floor of the Central Mall a year ago. There was 1 Bank but it disappeared and I don't remember the name anymore. It was not Krung Thai - is still there. 

2 minutes ago, dabhand said:

You have possibly already checked the Amex website, but it indicates a whole raft of encashment locations.

But it has the get out comment of 'may not be 100% accurate'!!

https://travelers-cheques.americanexpress.com/en-th/travel/travelers-cheques/locator

I did not know this site. Thank you for the link. Will check the banks the next days. 

27 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Bought them more than 20 years ago on the Philippines. 

Crikey..... you might have to go to an Amex Office,

I did a check on the internet and got 

https://travelers-cheques.americanexpress.com/en-th/travel/travelers-cheques/locator

Kasikornbank

428-429 Central Festival Shopping Center Bldg,

333/99 Moo 9 Pattaya Sai 1 Road, Nong Prue,

Bang Lamung, Chon Buri, 20260

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Crikey..... you might have to go to an Amex Office,

I did a check on the internet and got 

Kasikornbank

428-429 Central Festival Shopping Center Bldg,

333/99 Moo 9 Pattaya Sai 1 Road, Nong Prue,

Bang Lamung, Chon Buri, 20260

I will check the next days. Kasikorn there I avoid if I can because there are always many people. But I have an account there and also at the Bangkok Bank (that said no last time when I asked). Krungsri said no today again.

It is not my last money. I am old and I think these several thousand of dollars in travelers checks will be lost if people inherit it. Better give them cash. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, TaaSaparot said:

How are they backup money if no one will cash them? My "back up" money is actual money (a few U.S. "Benjamins.")

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

How are they backup money if no one will cash them? My "back up" money is actual money (a few U.S. "Benjamins.")

I too used to carry them as back-up money, a few thousand USD in Amex Travelers cheques. Once countersigned they could be used like cash in the USA. With the added ability to use them in other countries. Easy to  use in South America too. Times have changed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I too used to carry them as back-up money, a few thousand USD in Amex Travelers cheques. Once countersigned they could be used like cash in the USA. With the added ability to use them in other countries. Easy to  use in South America too. Times have changed.

Maybe collector's item now...worth more than face value if sold on Ebay ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aliflair said:

Maybe try deposit them to your THB account. Could take a long time to clear but better than tearing them up if banks won't exchange them for cash.

Would be far better just calling American Express and let them sort it out, than those options.

If you are going back home cash them in and get yourself  some form of a credit card. Travellers  Cheques are  now useless  and the last lot I had I cashed in at Singapore and not without a few dramas as my hand writting had changed. Now I am talking about over 10 years ago i used my last lot up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, globalspark said:

If you are going back home cash them in and get yourself  some form of a credit card. Travellers  Cheques are  now useless  and the last lot I had I cashed in at Singapore and not without a few dramas as my hand writting had changed. Now I am talking about over 10 years ago i used my last lot up.

Yes - the signature problem. I am worried and always nervous when I have to sign them. I almost never write anything with my hand and have been using keyboards since I was young. There I type faster than one can speak. But this doesn't help me when I have to sign the cheques. I expect a drama too.... 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:06 PM, champers said:

I hope, for your sake, that they are high value cheques because the fee went from 30 Baht per cheque cashed to 150 about 6 or 7 years ago. TT money exchanges used to cash them but not sure now. Good luck.

think YENJIT might change.......

Not Pattaya. I'm in Samui, and I had quite a lot of Amex travellers cheques. The only bank that I found that would change them was Bangkok Bank. I still have a few that I have not bothered to change because with the exchange rate and commission it's hardly worth it.

I was in the bank branch two weeks ago and told the lady that always served me, " I still have some cheques for you to change." She laughed so I am hoping all will be OK when I eventually do decide to change them.

Another way. You could take them back to your country if / when you next visit and ask the issuer to cash them in.

HTH.

• Like 1

If not possible to cash them, go to the Bangkok Amex office.

A short bus ride from Pattaya.

Better get rid of travelers check .

Put the money in the bank or buy gold bullion in a reputable gold shop or crypto coin.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 1:52 PM, Oldie said:

Does anyone know a place where I can cash them? Banks that I asked don't take American Express cheques anymore. 

Speak to Amex here...https://www.americanexpress.com/th/en/cust_svce/contactingus.shtml/

hdr_customerservices.gif img_clear.gif
img_clear.gif
img_clear.gif
img_clear.gif
Contacting Us
img_clear.gif
img_clear.gif
img_clear.gif

Use our index of important phone numbers to call American Express® Customer Service directly about any of our services.

Important American Express phone numbers for Thailand resident

img_clear.gif
img_clear.gif
American Express (Thai) co., Ltd.
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5500
img_clear.gif
Cardmember Hotlines
img_clear.gif
(24-hour service every day)
img_clear.gif
img_clear.gif
American Express® Card
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5544
American Express® Gold and Business Card
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5555
American Express® Platinum Card
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5599
American Express® Credit Card
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5999
THAI American Express® Platinum Credit Card
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5005
American Express® Corporate Card
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5566
img_clear.gif
Other Services Hotlines
img_clear.gif
img_clear.gif
Authorization
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5522 (24-hour service every day)
Account Services
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5050 (Monday - Friday, 8.30 am - 5.00 pm)
Merchant Service Center
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5100 (Monday - Friday, 8.30 am - 5.00 pm)
Traveller Cheques
img_clear.gif
0 2273 5296 (24-hour service every day)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spatiumus said:
Traveller Cheques

img_clear.gif

0 2273 5296 (24-hour service every day)

I'm surprised AmEx still has a dedicated TC service line...they actually still sell these archaic relics or is it only for legacy customers. What's the use scenario for anyone lending money interest free to AmEx these days?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Confused 1

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'm surprised AmEx still has a dedicated TC line...they actually still sell these things archaic relics. What's the use scenario for anyone lending money interest free to AmEx these days?

Given how countries tap into ATM's with egregious fees, I thought these archaic relics might have a second life. However for travellers not expats. Is Thailand still whacking off 200 Baht per ATM transaction, or has it gone up?

OP if you have a bank account here, go to your bank branch,  give it to them. I've had personal and business checks from US & SA cashed on my old Krungthai account. You won't get the money tell it clears but should not be a problem. If you get that "no do that - cannot" be polite, get the the manager, don't tolerate lazy ----s..   

22 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Given how countries tap into ATM's with egregious fees, I thought these archaic relics might have a second life. However for travellers not expats. Is Thailand still whacking off 200 Baht per ATM transaction, or has it gone up?

OP if you have a bank account here, go to your bank branch,  give it to them. I've had personal and business checks from US & SA cashed on my old Krungthai account. You won't get the money tell it clears but should not be a problem. If you get that "no do that - cannot" be polite, get the the manager, don't tolerate lazy ----s..   

Don't laugh at me now. I was always waiting that the Baht goes down before I cash them...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'm surprised AmEx still has a dedicated TC service line...they actually still sell these archaic relics or is it only for legacy customers. What's the use scenario for anyone lending money interest free to AmEx these days?

Still probably the safest way of carrying cash when travelling.