I'm kicking myself: Scottish first minister sorry for mask error

snoop1130

I'm kicking myself: Scottish first minister sorry for mask error

2020-12-23T073554Z_1_LYNXMPEGBM0FK_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-STURGEON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon speaks at the parliament, as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, in Edinburgh, Scotland, Britain, December 22, 2020. REUTERS/Russell Cheyne/Pool/File photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon issued an apology on Wednesday after she was photographed at an indoor event without wearing a mask in breach of strict COVID-19 rules.

Sturgeon, the leader of the nationalist Scottish National Party, was pictured talking to a group of women in a pub following a funeral in Edinburgh last week without a face covering. The photo was published in Wednesday's Scottish edition of the Sun newspaper.

"Last Friday, while attending a funeral wake, I had my mask off briefly. This was a stupid mistake and I'm really sorry," Sturgeon said in a statement.

"I talk every day about the importance of masks, so I’m not going to offer any excuses. I was in the wrong, I’m kicking myself, and I'm sorry."

Under the law in Scotland, people are required to wear masks in most indoor venues including pubs and restaurants and on Tuesday Sturgeon reminded the public of the importance of wearing masks when she spoke to the Scottish parliament.

The Scottish Conservatives, Scotland's arm of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's ruling party, said Sturgeon should have known better and she had undermined the public health message.

"There cannot be one rule for Nicola Sturgeon and another for everyone else," the Scottish Conservatives said on Twitter.

However, British housing minister Robert Jenrick was more forgiving.

"Lots of people make mistakes," he told Sky News. "It's never easy, we're all human beings at the end of the day."

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-23

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

She is a hypocrite and many posters here screaming for Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings head but have crept under a Scottish rock with not even an "Flower of Scotland' squeaking out.

If you think that both incidents are equivalent in terms of the actual events and each individual's subsequent response to them then your judgement must be called into question. 

Nice that you throw in a bit of stereotyping at the end there. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

So if its only about Sturgeon, why the rant about minnows and big pools? 

Ultimately, whether Scotland chooses to join the EU is none of your business. This irrational hatred for the EU which you hold is not a universal position across even England - don't forget, only 1 in 3 people felt exercised enough to vote us out of it. 

???????????????????????????? cannot join the ???????? without first leaving (no pun intended) the ???????? therefore it is his (& everyone else's) business until further notice. It matters not who (numbers) voted; it only matters that we won and did so without resorting to 16 year olds etc as per ????????????????????????????'s failed vote of 2014.

(& you no more speak for ???????????????????????????? that I do for ????????????????????????????!)

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The analogy was about Sturgeon enjoying being a big fish in a small pond.

What small pond? The EU structure gives disproportionate representation to smaller countries. 

52 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I believe Sturgeon's main aim is to stay in power. That's more important to her than the future success of the country. Independence is her cause, her vehicle to stay in power. She knows winning any future Indyref2 and leaving the UK would mean many years before Scotland could even hope to get into the EU, and those years would mean a lot of economic hardship and massive upheaval for Scotland. It would make Brexit look like a walk in the park. They might not even get accepted into the EU which would be absolutely disastrous for the Scots. However, during those years she'd be a very big fish in a very small, shrinking pond. 

That is entirely your conjecture and not based upon fact. The last 10 years have seen incredible hardships unnecessarily imposed upon the majority through Westminster's now discredited QE which enriched those in power at an enormous cost to the man in the street. The next 10 years of more UK incompetence, corruption and right wing economics has every portent to be as bad, if not worse. 

So the reality is probable continued or even worse hardship through maintaining the status quo, or seek to do things differently, better, and under our own direction, rather than be forced to swallow the swill handed down by the country next door.

58 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

That's fine with her, in fact she'd absolutely love it. All that power over a tiny nation. Queen of the Scots. She'd be in almost complete control (apart from the Bank of England setting Scotland's monetary policy). An absolute wet dream for a character like Sturgeon.

I've met similar people in the corporate world. No interest whatsoever in growing the business. Their only aim is to maintain their position at the top of it.

I'm sure you will disagree. But you asked why I used the analogy so I thought I'd clear it up.

Funnily enough, here I almost agree with you. I believe here she has been too cautious. It was not her job to save England from Brexit. While I continue to think it was a mistake, if you chose to go in that direction then she should have accepted that and drew up immediate plans to extricate ourselves from the whole shebang, not try to stop your end game from happening. 

But I think she is comfortable in her current position. There is no doubt about her desire for independence, but her softly softly approach has failed thus far, and there is no clear strategy from her to force Johnson to allow what the majority want - clearly a democratic mandate means nothing to Johnson if it isn't what he wants.

• Like 1