is investing in stock market a job (in homecounty)?

4 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Too young to write "retired" ?

Thailand does not mind about your investmenta abroad

yep....  too young to real retirement 

well they ask question about job and income and idk what is their definitions... so i don't wanna shoot myself in the knee with wrong answer i guess.

BTW  is it possible to  to  have that 400k in thai investment account , like on stock market but thai?  so inflation doesn't eat it for whole year?

• Like 1

Thailand  "Revenue Code", Chapter 3 "Income Tax",  Section 41 states :

"A resident of Thailand who in the previous tax year derived assessable income under Section 40 from an employment or from business carried on abroad or from a property situated abroad shall, upon bringing such assessable income into Thailand, pay tax in accordance with the provisions of this Part.

Any person staying in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating 180 days or more in any tax year shall be deemed a resident of Thailand."

So, do not worry about this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mateusz1945 said:

BTW  is it possible to  to  have that 400k in thai investment account , like on stock market but thai?  so inflation doesn't eat it for whole year?

If you need the 400k for your visa, they must be kept in a bank account, for sure not invested in the thai stock market.

1 hour ago, mateusz1945 said:

Your planning to obtain a "marriage visa".

You mean a non O and subsequent annual extension based on marriage.

Skip the employment side issue. It's irrelevant. 

Have you  been to Thailand previously?

Strange thread to say the least.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your planning to obtain a "marriage visa".

You mean a non O and subsequent annual extension based on marriage.

Skip the employment side issue. It's irrelevant. 

Have you  been to Thailand previously?

Strange thread to say the least.

yeap non o and annual extensions. First time in thailand. 

Strange tread.... well actually everything matters in the long run. that 400k could become part of my income if it wasn't passively sitting in bank.
also i am thinking if stock market would be allowed for expats and capital gain taxes are lower than my country then... is it possible to do it here?

3 minutes ago, mateusz1945 said:

yeap non o and annual extensions. First time in thailand. 

Strange tread.... well actually everything matters in the long run. that 400k could become part of my income if it wasn't passively sitting in bank.
also i am thinking if stock market would be allowed for expats and capital gain taxes are lower than my country then... is it possible to do it here?

A marriage extension requires 400k in Thai bank for 2 months prior to application and in most cases also the under consideration period. Then can be used. Hardly significant hit on your portfolio. 

Won't address the tax evasion issue.

3 hours ago, mateusz1945 said:

yep....  too young to real retirement 

well they ask question about job and income and idk what is their definitions... so i don't wanna shoot myself in the knee with wrong answer i guess.

too young for retirement in a westernland country.

get a non-o based on retirement at age 50.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

There is a fundamental question connected to this thread: Has OP made some money in the past in the stock-market or has he heard from "a friend" that "tons of money can be made in todays stock market" without lifting a finger nor needing any expertise?

I am afraid that the latter is the case, otherwise OP would not consider the 400K Baht for a marriage visa worth mentioning in the first place and within this context.

Have met a few guys, arriving with 20K US$, hoping to generate enough income by trading the markets. Sorry, no success stories to tell about.

No wonder. Even top Investement funds are not yielding more than 10% in the long run. So, how much Capital would one need to generate an income of (let's say) 40'000 Bht a month? Assuming that a long-term yield of 10% can be maintained over many years? You do the figureing.

Short term trading? Most serious trading-platforms/brokerages inform their customers that on average roughly 80% of their customers lose money over the long run.

As the old saying goes: Thailand is nice if the assets that one has accumulated over time in the "western-world" will suffice.
Thailand does not accomodate undercapitalised "Western-Dreamers". But it does accomodate overcapitalised "Western-Dreamers. For better or for worse. 

if you have around 250,000 GBP to invest and you generate a 5% dividend then you would be able to have 40,000 Baht per month on average. There are a few solid blue chip stocks that might do that. 

As far as tax is concerned my understanding was that it would be free of Thai tax if it was earned in the previous tax year? So dividends paid in 2020 could be brought into Thailand in 2021 without a tax liability.

I’m not in Thailand so have not put that to the test. I’d be interested in knowing if my understanding is correct? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I keep hearing about this "stock market" thing. Is it any good? I just have to buy and sell stocks all day long? Could it yield me at least 60k baht in profit, so I could quit my teaching job?

I'm already married to a Thai, so I'd just need 40k income to get the Non-O. But 60k would be better.

Heck, 100k+ would be better, so I wouldn't have to feel so inadequate around those international school guys at the pubs. Could the stock market do that for me? Thanks guys.

well historically on average you can get about ~8% a year investing in indexes (like snp 500) that is passive and not impressive. People that know what they doing  read news and trade everyday can get more. 20% -30%  some even more. But its a real job and is stressfull 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, swissie said:

There is a fundamental question connected to this thread: Has OP made some money in the past in the stock-market or has he heard from "a friend" that "tons of money can be made in todays stock market" without lifting a finger nor needing any expertise?

I am afraid that the latter is the case, otherwise OP would not consider the 400K Baht for a marriage visa worth mentioning in the first place and within this context.

Have met a few guys, arriving with 20K US$, hoping to generate enough income by trading the markets. Sorry, no success stories to tell about.

No wonder. Even top Investement funds are not yielding more than 10% in the long run. So, how much Capital would one need to generate an income of (let's say) 40'000 Bht a month? Assuming that a long-term yield of 10% can be maintained over many years? You do the figureing.

Short term trading? Most serious trading-platforms/brokerages inform their customers that on average roughly 80% of their customers lose money over the long run.

As the old saying goes: Thailand is nice if the assets that one has accumulated over time in the "western-world" will suffice.
Thailand does not accomodate undercapitalised "Western-Dreamers". But it does accomodate overcapitalised "Western-Dreamers. For better or for worse. 

well this started about job/tax question i never claimed successes or that i will do it for rest of my life.  It is good way  to keep savings and save for retirement. I think eventually i will want to find normal job/business as this will not be enough for a nice lifestyle. So its  more like supplementary income.
BTW there is lot of misconceptions about stock market. There is investing approach and pure gambling. 80% of customers losing money are trading using high levered CFD contracts. high risk/high reward for impatient. for more reasonable people are stocks of established companies and stocks indexes. Cheers

• Like 2

The only point I would make, which may be irrelevant to your situation in Thailand, is that tax law often differentiates between share investor and share trader. A share investor is someone who tends to buys shares and leave them and maybe buy and sell some from time to time. It is passive income. This may be subject to capital gains tax. It is not a business.

If you actively manage a significant amount of shares, making regular buys and sales, you may be a share trader and this means you are in business. The shares are just like apples to a fruit seller - they are trading stock.

So if you are a share trader it may affect you if there are rules about whether you can be in business. I know nothing though about how the Thai law looks at this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

I ALLWAYS write under OCCUPATION: POET

nobody ever complained.

they will not really investigate you. they just need the form filled.

You have not been tempted to affix iambic pentameter to the occupation description? Please don't tell me, doggerel.

24 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The only point I would make, which may be irrelevant to your situation in Thailand, is that tax law often differentiates between share investor and share trader. A share investor is someone who tends to buys shares and leave them and maybe buy and sell some from time to time. It is passive income. This may be subject to capital gains tax. It is not a business.

If you actively manage a significant amount of shares, making regular buys and sales, you may be a share trader and this means you are in business. The shares are just like apples to a fruit seller - they are trading stock.

So if you are a share trader it may affect you if there are rules about whether you can be in business. I know nothing though about how the Thai law looks at this.

The only way Thai law would apply to the OP in terms of shares would be if he is trading in Thai shares. I trade in Australian shares occasionally, any capital gains tax would be collected by the ATO. It's irrelevant if I am doing that share trading online from within Thailand.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think you're right thats pretty much the Australian tax office ruling on it. Regarding dividends they are well down this year to my chagrin, but I have snapped up a few extra shares so hopefully should even itself out in the longer run. I'm pretty cautious, mainly dividend stocks you can usually get about 5% return on fairly safe ones. Just short term trading a little bit as an interest, but patience is required, both to wait for the falls and the rises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1