UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

They invaded us for a start and if you think that they were acting as a County Council when they built the roads you would be very much mistaken, every thing they did was to make their dominance over the indigenous Celts much easier for themselves. Very much what the EU was trying to do to us not so long ago, try to imagine Boris Johnson as a sucessful modern day Boudicca.

When I served in the middle east in 1970, we would take supplies to the British Army in Oman as they built roads, bridges etc, to exercise their dominance.

Always been the way with Westminster.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

When I served in the middle east in 1970, we would take supplies to the British Army in Oman as they built roads, bridges etc, to exercise their dominance.

RAF Salalah?

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What a load of codswallop, we didn't invade The Oman, we were there on invite from The Sultanate of Oman, Sultan Qaboos. 

What is the way of Holyrood, Mrs Sturgeon saying a 'no deal' would ruin Scottish business and when we get a deal she is going to vote for a 'no deal' what a joke she is, but hey, let us blame all our problems on Westminster, code word for 'english'

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 7by7 said:
  • We will lose unfettered access to the single market.
  • We will leave the customs union.
  • As a result of No. 2, exporters to the EU will require more paperwork, leading to inevitable delays at ports such as Dover
  • We will lose the bargaining power of a trade bloc consisting of 28 nations.
  • We will lose the cross border cooperation that comes from being a member of Europol.
  • We will lose access to the EIEM.
  • We will lose access to the SIS.
  • British citizens who wish to study, work or retire in the EU will lose the automatic right to so do.
  • British tourists holidaying in the EU will lose the free health insurance via the EHI card.
  • British tourists will also lose the benefit of the EU restrictions on mobile roaming charges.

The first 5 points around the SM, CU. paperwork, bargaining power and cooperation, you are predicting problems again. Problems that were vastly exaggerated by Project Fear. You are still giving projections!

EIEM and SIS - can't find much at all about these. So what are they, are we 100% definitely losing access to them with no replacement possible?  And what will the consequences be (in your opinion, because you can't say factually). 

Yes, studying, working or retiring in the EU for British citizens won't be automatic. But those who want it bad enough and are eligible should still be able to do it. Unless you have proof otherwise? 

Re the EHIC:

The deal on the future relationship between the EU and the UK was announced on 24 December. It says that all EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date.

After that, the UK will issue a new card. The UK government says the new card will be called the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

On roaming charges, the 4 main UK mobile operators have categorically stated they do not plan to re-introduce roaming charges (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45064268). So again, no factual evidence of disastrous consequences. 

Would you like to try again? 

Edited by CG1 Blue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Apart from the fact a ‘British’ made item is often not available.

I read some place that now EU workers  working in the UK have more rights than British workers because they are covered by both UK labor laws and EU labor laws. and that EU  workers are more employable in the UK, in jobs that require travel because of their easier access to the EU.

Is that true?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I read some place that now EU workers  working in the UK have more rights than British workers because they are covered by both UK labor laws and EU labor laws. and that EU  workers are more employable in the UK, in jobs that require travel because of their easier access to the EU.

Is that true?  

We have to wait and see.  At the moment there is all the usual bull manure being tossed around on social media and like always, the vast majority of it is absolute rubbish.  So called "leaks" that are just some keyboard junkie making up stories to wind up Joe  Public.

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

We have to wait and see.  At the moment there is all the usual bull manure being tossed around on social media and like always, the vast majority of it is absolute rubbish.  So called "leaks" that are just some keyboard junkie making up stories to wind up Joe  Public.

A very reasonable answer. Thank you. 

As an American only know what I read and I am sure , in the UK as it is in the US ,all publications have their own bias.

Given all the problems we have in the US, I follow the Brexit saga, in a so far unsuccessfully attempt to  console myself that there are other just as bad off as we are, LOL

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Is that true?  

In the current deal, there is no mutual recognition of professional qualification. When such a qualification is required, it means a UK firm needs to send someone with a EU country's degree or qualification to be able to operate in the EU. I think of professions such as lawyers, architects, auditors, etc...

It may change in the future, but for the time being, there is no mutual recognition any more.

17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

A very reasonable answer. Thank you. 

As an American only know what I read and I am sure , in the UK as it is in the US ,all publications have their own bias.

Given all the problems we have in the US, I follow the Brexit saga, in a so far unsuccessfully attempt to  console myself that there are other just as bad off as we are, LOL

Ditto, I follow the current state of chaos you have been suffering under a not dissimilar leader. and for similar reasons.  Who would have predicted we would both end up with such inadequates in charge. At least now you can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Is that true?  

Well that and being better educated and better trained.

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

I beg to differ: Brits are more than just narrow-minded national-populist.

I do not mean you are not British, just that you do not represent the British people.

Brexit represented the british people,they had a peoples vote and the people decided.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vogie said:

What a load of codswallop, we didn't invade The Oman, we were there on invite from The Sultanate of Oman, Sultan Qaboos. 

What is the way of Holyrood, Mrs Sturgeon saying a 'no deal' would ruin Scottish business and when we get a deal she is going to vote for a 'no deal' what a joke she is, but hey, let us blame all our problems on Westminster, code word for 'english'

Was that the trucial scouts of oman,recruited from serving members of the british armed forces?

5 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Brexit represented the view of some of the British people.  Slightly more voted for it than against it, therefore we left the EU.  Considering the vitriol it caused and the way that Britain has been torn apart by it, it cannot be claimed as a success, by any stretch of the imagination.

You can,t make an omelette without breaking eggs,and regarding vitrriol,the only vitriol i see is the vitriol by some remainers on tvf,essentially you could say you had two sides in the referendum,those copping from the uks membership,and those suffering from the uk being members and democracy prevailed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

You can,t make an omelette without breaking eggs,and regarding vitrriol,the only vitriol i see is the vitriol by some remainers on tvf,essentially you could say you had two sides in the referendum,those copping from the uks membership,and those suffering from the uk being members and democracy prevailed.

You can dress it up any way you wish but it turned out to be what it is, a total screw up by all those involved.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

You can dress it up any way you wish but it turned out to be what it is, a total screw up by all those involved.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Can only assume you are in the former catergory of the two sides mentioned,won,t have any negative effects on me.