Explainer: Can anything stop Trump from pardoning his family or even himself?

webfact

43 minutes ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

Somehow I dont think him being in custody is a threat to his well being...after all he is in custody of the legal system of the State of New York and it is implied he would not be in harm's way. Protecting him does not mean he can not be detained or incarcerated...they would just step up the guards at his cell door.....the same as if he was in the hospital....rofl (God I hope this happens)

Based on his behavior, especially recently, but really all of it, I'm starting to think he has laid a solid groundwork for an insanity defense -- mentally unfit to stand trial. 

17 minutes ago, PattayaJames said:

It's like a parallel universe of anti Trump wet dreams around here.

I know what you mean. There are actually members posting here who are dreaming, against all odds, the Joseph Biden will become the 46th President of the United States on Jan 20, 2021. But the same hardheaded Trump supporting realists who have an astonishing record of predictions so far about how the apparent result of this election will certainly be reversed, clearly are wide awake.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Once Trump becomes non POTUS he will be allocated a Secret Service body guard. Purely out of curiosity, what might happen should he be arrested on State charges ( and perhaps on Federal charges too). Would they be under orders (whose I have no idea) and try to prevent Trump from being arrested, or be permitted/ordered to step aside should that happen?

Would the same apply to his immediate family as well? If they are pardoned that would get them off Federal charges but not State/civil charges.

I listened to a Lt. Col in the army talk about what he would do if Trump ordered the military to do something crazy, like overturn the election.  His response was, my loyalty is to the constitution, not a single person.  Spot on.

I'm guessing the same would apply to these guards.  If a valid arrest order was presented, bye bye Trump.

• Thanks 1