English Speakers On Radio Thailand?

steffi

It's always interesting to me when you listen to Radio Thailand you can spot the different levels of English proficiency. I can only assume that some of those folks got their jobs thru "sen sai" rather than being the best skilled person for the job. You can definately hear the difference b/w somebody who's studied overseas and somebody else who manufactures their accent but yet still has a hard time reading English. This guy "Charlie" for instance seems to be always trying to manufacture an American accent and so therefore always gets caught up in the words he's reading. Where as some of the women usually sound quite proficient. I can only assume this is the difference b/w education overseas and an international school here in Bangkok. The one guy who does the "sponsored by MCOT" and who use to do ITV news with that guy who moved to Channel 3 was a classic example.

Edited by steffi

I used to enjoy listening to the Radio Thailand news on the way to work, 7.00AM on Metropolis 107 (the real one not the fake now on that frequency).

Unfortunately we no longer get the real English speakers, Edward Ensco [sp] was always intelligible, the current lot are incomprehensible much of the time.

I've taken to listening to yesterday's Steve Wright in the Afternoon (recorded off the BBC stream) and have yesterday's news in a language I can understand.