Selling a car without being present in Thailand

Froggybanrai

A friend of mine with retirement extension stuck in Europe and probably never coming back wants to sell his car here. Apparently the transport dept requires a certificate of résidence which he obviously cannot provide. It seems to me that it should be possible to produce some kind of proxy but I cannot get reliable

infos about this. Anyone has actual experience of this situation and how to untangle it?

I found out recently many Thais don't bother to have a vehicle transferred into their names after buying a car, they don't want to spend the extra money on transfer fees and just can't be bothered. Even when they go to renew the annual rego it doesn't matter who's name it's in. My Thai partner has renewed my car rego for me a few times, never needed anything from me and nobody has ever questioned her about renewing a car in a foreigner's name.

So my point is does it really matter? Just sell the car as is to a Thai, give them the book and a bill of sale. Let them sort it out.

2 hours ago, Froggybanrai said:

A friend of mine with retirement extension stuck in Europe and probably never coming back wants to sell his car here. Apparently the transport dept requires a certificate of résidence which he obviously cannot provide. It seems to me that it should be possible to produce some kind of proxy but I cannot get reliable

infos about this. Anyone has actual experience of this situation and how to untangle it?

Send the 2 papers from the DLT for sell and transfer for him to sign X marks the the spot. 

He then sends them back with a copy of his passport and a copy of the exit stamp page of his passport out of Thailand. 

Then a DLT will proceed as to what is wanted. 

It all depends on the expiry date off his last Visa in Thailand , if its expired by more than one month they will not allow the transfer. So if for example his Visa or permission to stay expired on November 15 2020 then after December 15 2020 they will not allow the transfer.

On the other end if his permission to stay expires on say March 15 2021 then the transfer will be allowed up to April 15 2021. If that's the case he would need to sign two forms in blue ink , one being a POA and one the transfer form. He would need to send these two forms back to Thailand by post with a signed copy off his passport and Visa.

Visa has nothing to do with it. I’ve just transferred my car and all I needed to do was sign the transfer doc from DLT. Didn’t even need to send a letter authorising the sale. The same what I did in the past when selling a company car when we closed down the company office. It’s very easy. 

On 12/26/2020 at 7:33 AM, Froggybanrai said:

It seems to me that it should be possible to produce some kind of proxy but I cannot get reliable

infos about this.

A power of attorney should to my knowledge normally do it...????

2 hours ago, paul545 said:

Visa has nothing to do with it. I’ve just transferred my car and all I needed to do was sign the transfer doc from DLT. Didn’t even need to send a letter authorising the sale. The same what I did in the past when selling a company car when we closed down the company office. It’s very easy. 

You were lucky,like many things over here it depends where you live.

We had a lot of problems getting a motorbike in our name, a friend gave it to us when he decided not to come back here.It was a nightmare!

On 12/26/2020 at 3:06 PM, TSF said:

I found out recently many Thais don't bother to have a vehicle transferred into their names after buying a car, they don't want to spend the extra money on transfer fees and just can't be bothered. Even when they go to renew the annual rego it doesn't matter who's name it's in. My Thai partner has renewed my car rego for me a few times, never needed anything from me and nobody has ever questioned her about renewing a car in a foreigner's name.

So my point is does it really matter? Just sell the car as is to a Thai, give them the book and a bill of sale. Let them sort it out.

With the new cameras systems  for red light and speeding the mail for the fines will go to your home, if it is still in your name,  but the buyer will have problems later to renew his annual tax as fines will no be paid....  Something interesting in the future...