How important is religion if you are marrying a thai woman?

lovethai123

On 12/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, lovethai123 said:

well do thai buddhist woman need to convert (atleast on papers) if they marry an american, canadina, uk, nz, au, french, german, spanish, scandinavians , irish etc ? 

i am just curious. 

Thai women do not need to change their religion when they marry a westerner, but it helps if you are not the type who belittle what they do or say connected to their beliefs. Moslem men can marry a woman and she can keep her religion, but the children are brought up muslim. A man who marries a muslim woman must convert to islam. Just another instance of muslems showing that a womans views do not count. Catholics can be a bit choosy too depending on how much you follow your faith.

• Thanks 1

It never has affected our lifestyle in 20 years of being together with my Thai partner who starts the day talking to Buddha & gets on with life same as I do.

A few of the relisious quirks I find amusing but never do i get it eammed down my throat nor chastised for anything

that I do, Live & let live.

Now Islam you would need to talk to someone far more involved than I

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:39 PM, Natai Beach said:

I know Buddhist women who have converted to Islam to marry Islamic men.

And Buddhist men who have converted to Islam to marry Islamic women.

So I assume that to marry an Islamic you must convert to Islam. 

I don’t personally know of any who have converted the other way.

Maybe somebody else has?

My  Thai Wife married a Muslim and she lived as one(not sure if she actually converted) , and her kids were brought up Muslim, after her husband died, she then went back to Buddhist, but donned head scarfs and respectfully dressed when going to visit the in-laws and could not arrive after sunset. Incidentally she is the only Thai lady I have ever met who truly Loved her Ex, and he was apparently a good father, and her kids have a very good work ethic as she does.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:39 PM, Natai Beach said:

I know Buddhist women who have converted to Islam to marry Islamic men.

And Buddhist men who have converted to Islam to marry Islamic women.

So I assume that to marry an Islamic you must convert to Islam. 

I don’t personally know of any who have converted the other way.

Maybe somebody else has?

Are you allowed to convert from Islam?

16 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Depends which country.

If you are ethnic malay then no, because the constitution defines malay as a muslim. If not ethnic malay then yes, but its not easy.

From 2000 to 2010 there were approx 600 applications and only about 160 approved.

i would suggest in arab countries it would be impossible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

Some time ago I knew an Islamic woman who was seriously in love with a Buddhist man.  Her parents strongly objected to their relationship.  I do not know the details but they ended up getting married.  As the relationship was quite strong I believe her parents relented.  They now have two beautiful children and seem very happy.

which country ? Thailand seems cool but malaysia, indonesia, and arab world .. it is not possible. 

2 hours ago, KKr said:

sounds like she had good taste.

????????

my people are not circumsized. a few are but only due to medical reasons and it is performed by a doctor. 

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

and if they married outside the church the marriage would not be recognised by the church. That was back in the 50's and prior.

but was the marriage recognised by the country ? 

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

in many arabic countries  its a big no. 

but in west, yes, many refugees and asylum seekers convert to christianity and claim asylum sayin they have left the islamic faith and follow christianity now. if they return to homeland they would be persecuted, jailed or even sentenced to death. the  western govt have to let them live in the west.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 1:16 PM, lovethai123 said:

Do western men also need to get the wives converted to their faiths in order to get married ? There are loads of western countries. Is there any country where you need to get your lover converted before you are allowed to marry.

Some religions have a tradition of that an "infidel" needs to convert. I would instantly think of Islam and Jews, as potential religions, but also in part of Christian religious movements one would not marry outside own circles; i.e. the potential spouse needs to convert.

However, to my knowledge, Western men in general have no problem marrying a Buddhist, as there is no particular god in Buddhism, and thereby space for any god you wish; that's why you find Indian Gods mingled with Thai Buddhism.

It's my understanding that most Thai ladies will stick to their Buddhist beliefs after marriage with a Westerner, including making some level of merit, which could just be incense sticks now and then, and a small Buddha or Rama V figure.

Unfortunately, to my experience, it might be difficult to have a Thai spouse to wear a Pastafarianism religious headgear, even if it's quite important for some of us Westerners...????

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 4:29 PM, Damrongsak said:

Any particular sect?

A Ovest Di Paperino - Tricky Answers | Pasta types, Pasta italiana, Pasta  shapesimage.png.672eb7aec29335569916d586740cc3b3.png

Often just pasta is widely accepted – we are extremely tolerant...???? – so noodles in the Thais' loving noodle soup is a fully legal way to show reverence to His Noodly, especially if the satisfactory meal ends with a greatful "Ramen". However it's been widely discussed in the church, if there has been a translation error, and it's not "spaghetti" that is written in the scripts, but actually "penne", so in fact His Noodly might be a Flying Penne Monster...????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Some religions have a tradition of that an "infidel" needs to convert. I would instantly think of Islam and Jews, as potential religions, but also in part of Christian religious movements one would not marry outside own circles; i.e. the potential spouse needs to convert.

However, to my knowledge, Western men in general have no problem marrying a Buddhist, as there is no particular god in Buddhism, and thereby space for any god you wish; that's why you find Indian Gods mingled with Thai Buddhism.

It's my understanding that most Thai ladies will stick to their Buddhist beliefs after marriage with a Westerner, including making some level of merit, which could just be incense sticks now and then, and a small Buddha or Rama V figure.

Unfortunately, to my experience, it might be difficult to have a Thai spouse to wear a Pastafarianism religious headgear, even if it's quite important for some of us Westerners...????

You mean a spaghetti hairstyle?

• Haha 1

Married to a Thai lady since 1983 who observes all the Thai Buddhist events and rituals. I was brought up as an Anglican Christian, now more of an agnostic than a believer in the Bible narrative. This presents no problem at all for either of us, and I suspect that is the case generally. Islam, however, requires conformity, and that would surely be a lot more complicated.

• Thanks 2

On 12/28/2020 at 7:52 PM, simon43 said:

I vowed never to remarry unless the woman is of the same faith as me - pastafarianism....

All Hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster. 

It's my go-to faith when asked but refuse to wear the colander except for special ceremonies. 

On 12/28/2020 at 7:16 PM, lovethai123 said:

I sometimes wonder what role does religion play when a western man marries a thai woman?  

I met a woman online long time ago but we never met in person.  Last year I had seen her pics with the religious attire and head coverings related to a particular religion.  I was curious and asked her about the new clothes. She said that she  recently got married to a foreigner. She had to convert to her husband's faith and they were declared married as per the customs of her husband's faith by their religious leader after a small ceremony. 

Do western men also need to get the wives converted to their faiths in order to get married ? There are loads of western countries. Is there any country where you need to get your lover converted before you are allowed to marry. 

The funny thing is that when some months ago she had stopped sharing  pics with those religion/culture specific attire and head coverings. When i enquired she simply said my husband , him go back him country, have corona , no business, he finish marry me. Now i wait falang man for marry me.

I wished her good luck in her future endeavours and blocked her. ????????

Him no send money me and me now looking for new sponsor for me and big family of 56.

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Nothing ever with spirit houses, monks, ghost, sacred trees, special numbers for the lottery, anything like that?

sacred-banyan-tree-thailand.jpg

And the trained fishes.

Buy some, throw them in the river and they swim straight back to the bucket????

Lucky lucky.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Is that similar to "Bahtism"?

• Haha 2

On 12/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, lovethai123 said:

well do thai buddhist woman need to convert (atleast on papers) if they marry an american, canadina, uk, nz, au, french, german, spanish, scandinavians , irish etc ? 

i am just curious. 

What do you mean, "have to?" I was raised Christian, but never accepted it, so there would be nothing for my wives to convert to. I suppose of you really cared about some religion like the Abrahamic ones, with jealous and angry creator gods, you might demand your wife "convert." What does convert mean? That she follow the forms? Buddhism is pretty accepting, as is Hinduism, and animism. Buddhist ceremonies are pretty ritualistic, and most Thai practice is caring for the spirit of the land, at their residence, and maybe some Chinese ceremonies during the course of the year. About one third of Americans are not members of any church or religion. Many people people who call themselves Christian never go to church and do not even know the basic requirements of faith (the Nicene Creed). People who follow the Prosperity Gospel are not, in any sense Christian. I believe the Catholic Church still refuses to recognize as valid any marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic. 

• Thanks 1

To my knowledge is the only "religion" who requires either the male or female to convert is Islam and most western men does not care about their wife Buddhism faith. My wife is a Buddhist and she goes to the temple, I respect her faith and I even sometimes join her to the temple 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

but was the marriage recognised by the country ? 

yes it was. However from the viewpoint of the church back then, the following was not permitted when a catholic & a non catholic  married:

1. Children were not allowed to be baptized in the catholic church

2. Because they had not been baptized into the catholic church, they could not attend a catholic school

3. Children were not allowed to receive any of the other sacraments,e.g. confession, holy communion, confirmation or even later in life marry in the catholic church unless they converted.

Fortunately the church started to come out of the dark ages towards the end of the 60's early 70's, but this transition did not begin until all the old dinosaurs had passed away and the younger generation of priests, bishops, cardinals etc brought these changes about.

The thing is, what I have discovered here in Thailand is that the catholic church here is still enforcing these outdated 17th century standards, even to the point of having very strict, draconian dress codes to even visit a church as a tourist ( viz. skirts below the knee for women, women's shoulders must be covered, hats must be worn by women, men cannot wear shorts they must wear long trousers with a collar & tie, dress shoes and socks.

I visited a cathedral about 3 years ago and was refused entry because I had shorts and a polo shirt on. I stood my ground, demanded to see either the parish priest or the bishop, asked for an explanation as to why they were still practising standards that disappeared from the church over 50 years ago. The bishop was totally flabbergasted when I told him that in Australia & America, beach goers were allowed to attend mass in their swimmers. The church was no longer interested in what people wore to mass, they were more interested in having people attend, not drive them away because of their outdated standards. I told the bishop that it was outdated attitudes like these that was driving people away from the church. The bishop reluctantly saw my point of view and allowed me inside the cathedral. However, I doubt he has changed the standards to come into the 21st century. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um, I was thinking there isn't a heaven and those stupid enough to believe it would do as their religion tells them, now that part I'm not going into.

One question though, did you say "that may last two weeks or so" considering there is a heaven, man that's one hell of an appetite you have there.

not a matter of appetite, but of ambition ???? ???? ????  and practicality.

need to test the merchandise, if faulty after first time use complain within a fortnight about the quality and Lazada sends a shipping label and a new batch. ???????????? ????????

51 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

yes it was. However from the viewpoint of the church back then, the following was not permitted when a catholic & a non catholic  married:

1. Children were not allowed to be baptized in the catholic church

2. Because they had not been baptized into the catholic church, they could not attend a catholic school

3. Children were not allowed to receive any of the other sacraments,e.g. confession, holy communion, confirmation or even later in life marry in the catholic church unless they converted.

Fortunately the church started to come out of the dark ages towards the end of the 60's early 70's, but this transition did not begin until all the old dinosaurs had passed away and the younger generation of priests, bishops, cardinals etc brought these changes about.

The thing is, what I have discovered here in Thailand is that the catholic church here is still enforcing these outdated 17th century standards, even to the point of having very strict, draconian dress codes to even visit a church as a tourist ( viz. skirts below the knee for women, women's shoulders must be covered, hats must be worn by women, men cannot wear shorts they must wear long trousers with a collar & tie, dress shoes and socks.

I visited a cathedral about 3 years ago and was refused entry because I had shorts and a polo shirt on. I stood my ground, demanded to see either the parish priest or the bishop, asked for an explanation as to why they were still practising standards that disappeared from the church over 50 years ago. The bishop was totally flabbergasted when I told him that in Australia & America, beach goers were allowed to attend mass in their swimmers. The church was no longer interested in what people wore to mass, they were more interested in having people attend, not drive them away because of their outdated standards. I told the bishop that it was outdated attitudes like these that was driving people away from the church. The bishop reluctantly saw my point of view and allowed me inside the cathedral. However, I doubt he has changed the standards to come into the 21st century. 

not only Thailand.
Recently been to the Holy See ?

or for even stricter Rules, did you go to a Russian Orthodox Church. ? or visit a mosque? a synagogue? 
in India temples, there are dressing rules that can vary from skirt no shirt for men to covered ladies.
if one doesn't like it, cannot go inside. Simple.
A matter of respect in the eyes of some; a matter of I do as I please for others.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:44 AM, lovethai123 said:

i am just curious. 

My Dad was Catholic, Mom is not.  They were allowed to marry in the church, but couldn't have music.  That was about 70 years ago in the U.S.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:24 AM, FritsSikkink said:

No, convert to what? Not everybody has an imaginary friend.

I think I still have my teddy bear around here somewhere.  He's about 65 years old now.  He's been blind for years - his eyes fell off. 

2 hours ago, KKr said:

in India temples, there are dressing rules that can vary from skirt no shirt for men to covered ladies.
if one doesn't like it, cannot go inside. Simple.

Such codes exist only in very old temples.

They are still standing tall after hundreds of years of foreign invasions  and plundering of wealth. They have been rebuilt even after being broken down by the invaders.  Past 1300 years of Indian history has been about foreign invasions , loot , genocide etc.  Indians have a record of the number of  temples damaged by invaders and it's a huge number. Still didn't loose their faith. Most Indian still follow the same faith and worship the same Gods for thousands of years. 

There are millions of temples in India. Most do not have any dress code but people generally wear decent clothing when going to a temple. 

• Like 1