Jump to content

How important is religion if you are marrying a thai woman?


lovethai123

Recommended Posts

I spent nearly 20 years in muslim countries and there the rule was:- a muslim woman cannot marry a non-muslim man, a muslim man can marry a christian woman or a jew, all others must embrace Islam.

In all western countries it does not appear to matter. although, I have encountered cases where a catholic priest has refused to conduct a marriage where one partner is not catholic.

In most European countries and in Thailand marriage is a contract under civil law so the religion of the partners is irrelevant.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/28/2020 at 9:13 PM, Sujo said:

I have been living with a muslim girl for 5 years. If we marry i must become muslim so thats not going to happen. She is very westernized, pork, beers, whisky etc.

 

 But even if i take her overseas to be married its not recognized in a muslim country unless im muslim.

 

She is less religious than my western girlfriends and hates that she has no choice,

 

Rules at the dining table with anyone, never talk about religion or money.

So why is she saying she is Muslim if she does not believe it and eats pork, drinks alcohol and is not religious? What then makes her a Muslim? 

 

If you marry her why is it not recognised in a Muslim country?! That would be the same as saying if you married a Christian or Buddhist the marriage would not be recognised in a Muslim country. 

 

She has no choice? Really? Choice for what? Who is forcing her to be a Muslim? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

So why is she saying she is Muslim if she does not believe it and eats pork, drinks alcohol and is not religious? What then makes her a Muslim? 

 

If you marry her why is it not recognised in a Muslim country?! That would be the same as saying if you married a Christian or Buddhist the marriage would not be recognised in a Muslim country. 

 

She has no choice? Really? Choice for what? Who is forcing her to be a Muslim? 

 

 

we dont know the nationality of the girl . in some muslim countries , leaving your religion is not allowed and punished by death too.  

 

muslim societies are different. closed knit, run by religious laws,, and conservative,  muslims cant walk around saying they wanna leave the religion. or they r not muslim anymore.  Some nuthead might kill them. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um, I was thinking there isn't a heaven and those stupid enough to believe it would do as their religion tells them, now that part I'm not going into.

 

One question though, did you say "that may last two weeks or so" considering there is a heaven, man that's one hell of an appetite you have there.

I think Pattaya is as near to heaven as one can get...

Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Absolutely not. The only religions I know of that seem to be obsessed with the spouse being the same religion are Islam especially, and to a lesser extent, Judaism. My wife happens to be among the 1% here who are Christian. But regardless of her religion, I would never insist my wife converted to my religion. Personally, spirituality means alot more to me than religion, and my wife has alot of virtuous qualities, than I can only aspire towards. I just do not get the conversion thing, at all. To each his own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The importance of religion in marriage is only determined by the level of importance placed upon it by the two that getting married.  If two people are very religious and of the same religion it shouldn't be a problem.  If one is more devout than the other it could be a potential problem, especially if they are of very different religions.  Most Thai/Farang marriages do just fine when it comes to religion as a lot of couples do not place a great deal of emphasis on religion.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

The importance of religion in marriage is only determined by the level of importance placed upon it by the two that getting married.  If two people are very religious and of the same religion it shouldn't be a problem.  If one is more devout than the other it could be a potential problem, especially if they are of very different religions.  Most Thai/Farang marriages do just fine when it comes to religion as a lot of couples do not place a great deal of emphasis on religion.  

great way to sugarcoat the the truth. i appreciate how u guys always sugarcoat things in a way that they appear to be so wonderful.

Is there a school where people get a degree in sugarcoating ? 

 

tell me one thing , why is people of a particular religion always so "devout" that they cant marry without converting the other?  Being too devout is always a problem. a modern liberal view of religion is always good. if someone is too "devout" , it can turn out to be a problem.

 

People are fed up of being too "devout". That is why those too "devout" are generally refereed to as nutheads even by the believers of their religion.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

great way to sugarcoat the the truth. i appreciate how u guys always sugarcoat things in a way that they appear to be so wonderful.

Is there a school where people get a degree in sugarcoating ? 

 

tell me one thing , why is people of a particular religion always so "devout" that they cant marry without converting the other?  Being too devout is always a problem. a modern liberal view of religion is always good. if someone is too "devout" , it can turn out to be a problem.

 

People are fed up of being too "devout". That is why those too "devout" are generally refereed to as nutheads even by the believers of their religion.  

 

 

Well, as I said earlier, people place a different value on their religion.  For some, it is everything which is why they feel that their future spouse must be of their religion.  This is why many (but certainly not all) people who are Catholics, Muslims, Jewish, and Mormons demand that their future spouse convert to their particular religion.  Their every waking moment is consumed by their religion.  People would call them "evangelical" or "fanatical".  Then on the other end of the religious spectrum we have people that claim a certain faith but they are not practising adherents to that religion.  Most people fall somewhere in the middle.  There are also those that claim no religious affiliation and others that are agnostic or atheist.  People should be free to choose how they wish to practise their religion, or practise no religion, to what ever degree they so desire as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

  People should be free to choose how they wish to practise their religion, or practise no religion, to what ever degree they so desire as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others.  

tell this to people whose religion laws demand wife to convert else marriage cannot be done. 

anyways this conversation is going in the direction which is beyond the scope of this forum. lets end the discussion here. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • JOIN OUR DAILY NEWSLETTER




    Marketing permission: I give my consent to ASEAN NOW News to be in touch with me via email using the information I have provided in this form for the purpose of news, updates and marketing.

    What to expect: If you wish to withdraw your consent and stop hearing from us, simply click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email we send or contact us at [email protected] We value and respect your personal data and privacy. To view our privacy policy, please visit our website. By submitting this form, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.


  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...