Rayong opens field hospitals for COVID-19 patients as hospital overwhelmed

rooster59

On 1/4/2021 at 12:37 AM, Patong2021 said:

No not madness. It is the only guaranteed way they can ensure people are isolated. The typical Thai lives in a multiple person dwelling with little opportunity to self isolate.

Not my Mrs, I have given her her own little place complete with the washing machine, ironing board, iron, cooker and sink. Got to knuckle down....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Agreed but the headline makes it sound like there are so many sick people that the hospitals are overwhelmed.

In reality over 90% are asymptomatic. I wonder is it only Thais that are 90%?

The SE Asian region has very little vitamin D deficiencies unlike Europe, UK and America and there are indications that this is playing a significant role the different immune responses.So it is quite possible that Thais may have 80-90% asymptomatic cases.I think the field hospitals will be used to house the asymptomatic cases.

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not my Mrs, I have given her her own little place complete with the washing machine, ironing board, iron, cooker and sink. Got to knuckle down....

Did you get a chain with the sink or do you have to buy it separately?

On 1/2/2021 at 7:16 PM, jacko45k said:

Well you chose three examples where they are failing, Australia and NZ would be opposite examples of Western Countries doing well. Common factor is stopping inward flights, and compulsory quarantine. Thailand shone, until the Covid took a grip in a border country where they get their cheap labour from, in Burma Covid took off post September. Thailand took it's eye off the ball..... 

Australia and NZ succeeded because they are geographically isolated islands (one continent for Australia), easier to control inflows, and immigration and their population density is very low

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Agreed but the headline makes it sound like there are so many sick people that the hospitals are overwhelmed.

In reality over 90% are asymptomatic. I wonder is it only Thais that are 90%?

Maybe it's a nice way of detaining them so they do not spread the virus whilst working, or looking for work.  

You have to give some credit to Thailand for managing it in the early stages hopefully they can get on top of it again, I live in Australia and yes we have been very lucky but just like NZ we are both islands which makes it a hell of lot easier to control and lock down our borders when required.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kwozzie said:

but just like NZ we are both islands which makes it a hell of lot easier to control and lock down our borders when required.

Yes, well so is the UK and Ireland. The other factors helping Oz and NZ are remoteness and low population density. Keep at it, don't let the guard down. 

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Where are you getting that number from. I believe only 1.7% of positives go on to die, but the figure for positives without symptoms is not 90%. It is way way less...

Studies show that at least 40-to-50% of people who test positive for COVID-19 have no symptoms. Medical experts say asymptomatic spread clearly is contributing to fall spikes of COVID-19.

In a previous report it said that of all the new positives in Thailand over 90% are asymptomatic

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That seems high... perhaps the majority were young. 

And where do young people reside, with mama and papa, and possibly the grandparents. 

So while the young Thai's are out partying and carefree about the virus, guess who gets to die.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

And where do young people reside, with mama and papa, and possibly the grandparents. 

So while the young Thai's are out partying and carefree about the virus, guess who gets to die.  

Well yes, the same tale the world over. The surge in the UK at the moment is thanks to Christmas, and people visiting home, likely students and granny. The young always feel invulnerable, they smoke and take chances and are self centered. 

But keep it in perspective, Thailand still only attributes 67 deaths to Covid for the whole pandemic, while there are 25 countries who do more than that daily. 

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well yes, the same tale the world over. The surge in the UK at the moment is thanks to Christmas, and people visiting home, likely students and granny.

Thailand has the extended family model, which means you don't visit grannny, you live with her.  This makes the risk the the elderly here much greater.