Malls in Thailand to close at 9pm from 4 January 2021

rooster59

Malls in Thailand to close at 9pm from 4 January 2021

download.jpg

Image: Reuters file photo

Shopping malls in Thailand will close from 9pm as of 4 January 2021, Thai Retailers and Shopping Center Association announced on Saturday.

The early closure of participating malls is in order to help limit the spread of COVID-19, the announcement said. 

In its announcement, the Association said it was employing “world class” measures to tackle COVID-19.

The news comes as Thailand is expected to announce the ramping up of restrictions in 28 provinces on Monday.

Source: Spring News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-03

My wife is saying the TH version reads... malls will have to close 9 pm daily... instead of staying open later...

NOT that they'll be closed totally starting from Jan. 4.

FWIW, my wife is also saying the language includes malls, supermarkets and retail... Can anyone else confirm the TH version actually says that?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Putting all these people out of work again is going to be disastrous. The government needs to start supporting its people with cash benefits, instead of hoarding its reserves to prop up the exchange rate of the baht which only benefits the one percent here.

Or investing in a population-wide vaccination.

There was an announcement about a JV between AstraZeneca & Siam Bioscience in December, but nothing further. Even in that article, the suggested numbers available to Thailand are limited.

I made the decision to cancel my maid with immediate effect, (her last day was 30 December), until we see how this current spike plays out. She travelled out of Bangkok to see her family, but to Buriram, which is not a red zone, (unlike Bangkok). Three others who employ her have also paused her. I feel sorry for her, and all in a similar predicament, but I cannot risk allowing someone into my apartment in the current environment. In March & April 2020 I did the same, with a different maid, paid her in full, and then she promptly left.

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My wife is saying the TH version reads... malls will have to close 9 pm daily... instead of staying open later...

NOT that they'll be closed totally starting from Jan. 4.

FWIW, my wife is also saying the language includes malls, supermarkets and retail... Can anyone else confirm the TH version actually says that?

Here is the official announcement. My wife says it is not clear; it can mean either "at" or "from". 

Closing the venues makes sense, at least in the context of disease control. Closing an hour early is of little or no value. 

FM 91 assumes it means 9pm, nightly. However, that could simply be wishful thinking. 

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM8GqdjqtN1Ws7ZXajRVB5kCYColm.jpg

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In its announcement, the Association said it was employing “world class” measures to tackle COVID-19.

Closing at 9pm instead of 10pm is "world class measures"?

We are doomed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DLock said:

Closing at 9pm instead of 10pm is "world class measures"?

We are doomed.

Yes we are doomed. According to the map on today’s web Bangkok post, it is only foreigners that have the virus. No Thais at all. Thai immunity is strong, according to the government map. The inoculation must only be for foreigners then in Thailand as they only ordered 2 million jabs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Yes we are doomed. According to the map on today’s web Bangkok post, it is only foreigners that have the virus. No Thais at all. Thai immunity is strong, according to the government map. The inoculation must only be for foreigners then in Thailand as they only ordered 2 million jabs. 

You may have struck close to the truth. 

There is evidence to suggest there are common genetic markers (actually an absence of 3 specific genetic halapotypes) in those who are impacted by the SARS-CoV-2 virus to a lesser degree. 

The absence of those Halapotypes is observed in East Asians & could be an explanation for the reduced Covid-19 fatalities in this region.