Gerry and the Pacemakers star Gerry Marsden dies aged 78

webfact

Gerry and the Pacemakers star Gerry Marsden dies aged 78

2021-01-03T183558Z_1_LYNXMPEH020AT_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-MARSDEN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Liverpool supporter and singer Gerry Marsden sings You'll Never Walk Alone before their English Premier League soccer match against Blackburn Rovers at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England, October 24, 2010. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - Gerry Marsden, lead singer of the British band Gerry and the Pacemakers whose version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" became the thunderously sung anthem for Liverpool Football Club, has died at the age of 78, a friend announced on Sunday.

"It’s with a very heavy heart after speaking to the family that I have to tell you the Legendary Gerry Marsden MBE after a short illness which was an infection in his heart has sadly passed away," radio broadcaster Pete Price posted on Twitter.

Marsden formed the band in 1959 and enjoyed chart success in subsequent decades as part of Liverpool's "Merseybeat" movement that included contemporaries such as The Beatles.

The band's 1963 version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" has become the sound of Liverpool F.C.

"Gerry’s voice accompanied our biggest nights. His anthem bonded players, staff and fans around the world, helping create something truly special," the club tweeted.

(Reporting by William James; Editing by Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-04

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Not You'll Never Walk Alone but another of their hits:-

I made a visit to Liverpool a few years ago to take a walk around the Beatles museum (The Beatles Experience, I think it's called). And while there I wanted to take a ferry 'cross the Mersey because of the song. I rolled up at the terminal at 6pm to find it closed, which surprised me, and later found out it's now just an expensive tourist thing and not a ferry at all. Well, they have the tunnel now so no need, I suppose. Also, Matthew Street, location of The Cavern, was absolutely dead in the evening. I hadn't realised that Liverpool pretty much closes down at 6, something else I hadn't expected after being used to a far more lively Bangkok.

Got first album (and more) as a young teen in Portland, Oregon. Great, but I did wonder about "You'll Never Walk Alone"... but hey, Beatles were recording "A Taste of Honey" so what the heck.

The only thing I knew about world football was Readers Digest article about Pele. Wasn't covered, full stop.

Decades pass... I'm in Asia so can see football played with foot. Huh. There's that song being sung in Liverpool. I put 2+2 together and came up with 5. I thought he did that because he was a Liverpool fan.

I didn't know it was more the other way round. Learn something every day...

RIP Gerry. Ya done good

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I made a visit to Liverpool a few years ago to take a walk around the Beatles museum (The Beatles Experience, I think it's called). And while there I wanted to take a ferry 'cross the Mersey because of the song. I rolled up at the terminal at 6pm to find it closed, which surprised me, and later found out it's now just an expensive tourist thing and not a ferry at all. Well, they have the tunnel now so no need, I suppose. Also, Matthew Street, location of The Cavern, was absolutely dead in the evening. I hadn't realised that Liverpool pretty much closes down at 6, something else I hadn't expected after being used to a far more lively Bangkok.

Liverpool is a scruffy, mediocre crime ridden dump. Its glamor- non existent. In the 70s it suffered terrible under thatcher and in the 80s under Hatton and the trots. Jerry and the peacemakers were culturally inconsequential. Basically a mums and dad band, a show band, a cabaret band with non of the creative talent, dynamism or raw dangerous energy of contemporaneous bands. Gerry and the Pacemakers, like Freddy and the dreamers were an embarrassing one hit wonder. His passing is sad of course but musically irrelevant.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am not a follower of Football, preferring the more gentlemanly game of Rugby ( :tongue: ) 

However, I defy anyone, no matter what sport you follow, to not be moved by this.............

Thank you Gerry..........may you rest in peace in a better place................:jap:

Magic!

40 minutes ago, Nout said:

Liverpool is a scruffy, mediocre crime ridden dump. Its glamor- non existent. In the 70s it suffered terrible under thatcher and in the 80s under Hatton and the trots. Jerry and the peacemakers were culturally inconsequential. Basically a mums and dad band, a show band, a cabaret band with non of the creative talent, dynamism or raw dangerous energy of contemporaneous bands. Gerry and the Pacemakers, like Freddy and the dreamers were an embarrassing one hit wonder. His passing is sad of course but musically irrelevant.

A one hit wonder they certainly were not, look back at the record charts for confirmation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

A one hit wonder they certainly were not, look back at the record charts for confirmation. 

When the charts were rigged by a few mobsters buying 'singles' from key shops. Hits or not: culturally and musically irrelevant at a time when  Hendrix, The Beatles, The Stones, Dylan, Cream the Kinks were breaking barriers. If it wasn't for the football chant he would be long forgotten. Strictly 'two way family favorites' not radio Caroline or mod all nighters.

Edited by Nout
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Nout said:

Clueless, rabble rousing, troll.

• Like 1

After the Beatles hit the US a new Brit band would be on tv every week or so, they called it The British Invasion.  Some of them had a hit or 2 (like Gerry), some were just pin-up boys for the girls to put on the covers of their notebooks (like the Walker Bros).  Most were never spoken of again after 1970 outside of nostalgia circles.   Much to my surprise Gerry came up on the US quiz show Jeopardy! in recent years.  No one got it.

Edited by bendejo