Transfer Wise broken?!?

Been using TW for a few years, no problems.

However I got a replacement debit card and whenever I try to use it, I get a error message (see below).

Something to do with MasterCard's additional security check "SecureCode" which asks you additional questions before submitting the transaction to the bank.

Transfer Wise claimed that the problem was my bank.  However my bank had no record of the transaction being submitted and there was no fraud block on my account!

Just to verify the card was OK, I tried a transfer on "World Remit", who accepted the card and there was a Secure Code popup window that asked for additional information which worked just fine.

Oddly enough, World Remit cancelled my transfer claiming that the account information was wrong.  It wasn't.  Suspect they just wanted to keep my money for a week?

Anyone else have this problem with Transfer Wise?

Screenshot_20201231_084114.jpg

Edited by SiSePuede419
Picture added

Did a transfer with my Credit Card this morning, as I do monthly since about 2 years, got confirmation will get my money early afternoon, as usual.

Got some problems when my old Credit Card expired, and used the new one ( different secure number ).

Had to use a bank token the first time.

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So transactions using the card ultimately failed on Transferwise  and World Remit ? I would ask your Bank again

No, World Remit successfully took the money out of the account. That's how I verified there was no problem with the card or my bank. ???? 

They were, however unsuccessful at actually transfering the money they charged to my debit card to the recipient. ✖️

32 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Done a transfer yesterday. Not with a card. Just instructed by bank to transfer the money to TW. Money here in 4 hours.

Why would you tell your bank to transfer the money to Transfer Wise?  You mean your Transfer Wise debit card that you have in your hands in Thailand?  That doesn't apply to my question.

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Bank Token And Credit Card Isolated Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free  Image. Image 40774724.

Still not understanding you.  You mean after you called up your bank and activated your new debit card, you had to first go to a bank somewhere and withdraw money from an ATM using your new card and enter your "bank token" or PIN as we call it?

Because Transfer Wise's website doesn't have any thing like that picture?!?

1 minute ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Still not understanding you.  You mean after you called up your bank and activated your new debit card, you had to first go to a bank somewhere and withdraw money from an ATM using your new card and enter your "bank token" or PIN as we call it?

Because Transfer Wise's website doesn't have any thing like that picture?!?

I am Belgian, it is possible the system is different from one country to another.

I have a bank token from my Belgian bank.

I had to validate my new Credit Card using the token.

Now I simply give the 3 digit secure number to Transferwise when I do a transfer, nothing else needed.

• Like 1

Due to some security  changes I had a problem  doing an online banking transfer to Transfer Wise . My Bank  blocked the transfer to TW even though entered into my list of payees. To unblock required a code sent by sms. Unfortunately my Thai phone number had lapsed and (with my  Bank) updating it as an over seas  number is  a prolonged event. I emailed Customer Services and thankfully they unblocked the transfers by removing the code requirement. No problems  ever since.

Originally tried POLi but again my Bank's policy on  third party transfers conflicted with TW listing it as a Bank where accepted.

I would bet  your problem originates  with  your  Bank because nobody else seems to have your issue.

6 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Why would you tell your bank to transfer the money to Transfer Wise?  You mean your Transfer Wise debit card that you have in your hands in Thailand?  That doesn't apply to my question.

That's how I always do it. I instruct my bank, via the mobile app and the money arrives with T/W almost instantly.

Regarding the 'bank token' alluded to above, (a term I've never heard before) what is pictured is a bank's card reader which issues a security code in order to confirm a transaction. They're nothing to do with T/W.

What country are you from O/P? There are slightly different procedures for different countries and we could all be talking at cross purposes.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am Belgian, it is possible the system is different from one country to another.

I have a bank token from my Belgian bank.

I had to validate my new Credit Card using the token.

Now I simply give the 3 digit secure number to Transferwise when I do a transfer, nothing else needed.

We call it a card reader. It verifies your card pin, and in various ways authorised transactions via a numeric code, which you enter online when instructed.

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

We call it a card reader. It verifies your card pin, and in various ways authorised transactions via a numeric code, which you enter online when instructed.

I don't know who " we " is.

When putting " bank token " in Google, one have 77,400,000 results.

But, anyway, "what's in a name".

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grusa said:

We already know that a "card reader" has absolutely NOTHING to do with Transfer Wise.

My computer doesn't have a "card reader".

When you do a Transfer Wise request and you fund the transfer with a debit card, how do you scan your debit card in a "card reader"? ????

Be specific.  (This should be interesting ????)

11 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

would bet  your problem originates  with  your  Bank because nobody else seems to have your issue.

Nope.  Already verified it wasn't my bank because my bank accepted a charge on the same card from World Remit, but not Transfer Wise.  That tells me that the problem is with Transfer Wise, because my new debit card worked perfectly fine with World Remit.

14 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Been using TW for a few years, no problems.

However I got a replacement debit card and whenever I try to use it, I get a error message (see below).

Something to do with MasterCard's additional security check "SecureCode" which asks you additional questions before submitting the transaction to the bank.

Transfer Wise claimed that the problem was my bank.  However my bank had no record of the transaction being submitted and there was no fraud block on my account!

Just to verify the card was OK, I tried a transfer on "World Remit", who accepted the card and there was a Secure Code popup window that asked for additional information which worked just fine.

Oddly enough, World Remit cancelled my transfer claiming that the account information was wrong.  It wasn't.  Suspect they just wanted to keep my money for a week?

Anyone else have this problem with Transfer Wise?

Screenshot_20201231_084114.jpg

I'll bet on the transaction being timed out, i.e. the code provided was not entered within the prescribed timeframe

8 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I don't know who " we " is.

When putting " bank token " in Google, one have 77,400,000 results.

But, anyway, "what's in a name".

Apparently, some countries use a device to validate online credit card transactions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_token

We don't do this in America.  Nobody in America uses a "bank token" to do TransferWise, online shopping, Amazon, eBay, etc etc etc.

So no, a "bank token" has absolutely NOTHING to do with the error message I got from Transfer Wise, since we don't use those devices in America and my bank is in America, not Belgium.

4 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I'll bet on the transaction being timed out, i.e. the code provided was not entered within the prescribed timeframe

Nope.  Read my original post.  Previous debit cards have worked just fine with Transfer Wise.  There was no request to enter a code with the new card.  It errored out within 2 seconds.  There was no SecureCode popup on the Transfer Wise app or website requesting a OTP (one time password) code sent by text message.

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

There is, but not available in Thailand yet.

I know a number of people that have them and use them here, because they brought them here from their home countries, the issue is that they cannot be delivered to a Thai address as TransferWise is not a registered bank in Thailand, yet

Edited by foreverlomsak
fixing spelling mistakes before I get criticized.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Nope.  Read my original post.  Previous debit cards have worked just fine with Transfer Wise.  There was no request to enter a code with the new card.  It errored out within 2 seconds.  There was no SecureCode popup on the Transfer Wise app or website requesting a OTP (one time password) code sent by text message.

It might be that because it errored out in 2 seconds, it sounds to me like the connection was broken for whatever reason before the SecureCode popup could be activated. Have you tried again on a different WiFi connection?

4 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

So no, a "bank token" has absolutely NOTHING to do with the error message I got from Transfer Wise, since we don't use those devices in America and my bank is in America, not Belgium

Pretty sure I read here, on T.V., that other Americans did had a problem with Transferwise. 

12 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

We already know that a "card reader" has absolutely NOTHING to do with Transfer Wise.

My computer doesn't have a "card reader".

When you do a Transfer Wise request and you fund the transfer with a debit card, how do you scan your debit card in a "card reader"? ????

Be specific.  (This should be interesting ????)

Most British banks issue a card reader, to be used for online transactions. It serves to verify the identity of the user, and to verify and authorise transactions. Without it, it is often impossible to proceed, especially with mobile banking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Authentication_Program?wprov=sfla1

Edited by Grusa
finger trouble