Bitcoin or Gold?

Bitcoin or Gold  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The next crash will be epic, but it's nearly impossible to guess the top, sell and then guess the bottom to buy it. I did it in 2017 and almost timed it perfectly (by luck of course), but back then I didn't believe in bitcoin one bit, and thought it was a one off thing.

Now the stakes are higher and I just don't have the balls to do it. I think I will keep my wallet in cold storage, sit back and watch it burn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mr mr said:

i bought in around 8k and sold yesterday after holding around 2 years.

I'm in a similar situation, as I reinvested the profits from 2017 back on it.

But if you look at BTC price history, it's full of this massive pumps with huge drawdowns following. But permanently high plateaus are also reached. What if this bull run goes to 100k and the price "only" drops down to 30k? That's what I mean by higher stakes...

43 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

I'm in a similar situation, as I reinvested the profits from 2017 back on it.

But if you look at BTC price history, it's full of this massive pumps with huge drawdowns following. But permanently high plateaus are also reached. What if this bull run goes to 100k and the price "only" drops down to 30k? That's what I mean by higher stakes...

It's always a possibility.  That's what multiple tranches are for.  No need to be all in or all out.   I have some set aside just to see what happens to it.... the same way I have some gold set aside, some land in the middle of nowhere, some land that used to be in the middle of nowhere, etc.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Bold move. Well done.

still holding all my alts though. i think there is more upside there than btc now..... for the time being. long term unless something radical happens btc is going to be a powerhouse for the financial world moving forward. even debating selling my property back home and going all in on btc with it. 

54 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So, to buy now or wait until it's back around $30,000?

This is the question! It was 30k 3 days ago, maybe next Friday, you'll be saying "should I wait until it's back at $40,000?" ????

Or maybe "Thank God I waited and got it for $20,000".

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Or maybe "Thank God I waited and got it for $20,000".

I think it will see $20,000 (or close) before it sees $100,000, which I think it will see on the next pump run within the next 1-3 years. 

So I guess the answer is to put half into it now, and in both cases I'll be disappointed. ???? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mr mr said:

still holding all my alts though. i think there is more upside there than btc now..... for the time being. long term unless something radical happens btc is going to be a powerhouse for the financial world moving forward. even debating selling my property back home and going all in on btc with it. 

My original plan was to start moving my BTC over to alts around 35k, but the charts are pointing to BTC to keep going until $200k+.

The XRP lawsuit kinda screwed my plan with XRP up. I think I'll shortly take larger positions in DOT, LINK. I agree there is more upside with alts, kinda the outsiders. I'll definitely keep 50% of my BTC for the long term.  

• Like 1

In late 2017 as BTC headed towards its giddy heights it represented less than 60% of the total crypto market valuation.  This share dropped to under 50% at the Dec high, and then down to less than 35% as the "alts" played catchup in the first couple of months of '18.

This time around BTC was over 60% in Nov '20, and has been increasing since then to over 70% now, indicating it is outpacing all the others, at least collectively.

I think this is due to the mainly institutional investors this time around that will be looking for stability, and a store of value as the fiat currencies are printed excessively with QE, so I don't think we'll see a collapse like 2018, at least not until we're over $2-400k.... bwtfdik.

Mike Maloney (a big Gold supporter) published a couple of videos on U-tube asking  Bitcoin: Is it too late? which are well worth watching whether you favour Bitcoin OR gold.  I'm not posting the link as I got banned previously for posting a U-tube link,  so you have to find it yourselves - sorry..!!!. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2021 at 12:26 PM, Neeranam said:

Bitkub.com 

I registered 3 days ago, and still cannot deposit money in as they still haven't verified my account (passport and photo).

It says within 24 hours, but mentions it may be slow because of demand. Is anyone else experiencing a 3 day+ wait for verification? 

4 hours ago, steve73 said:

In late 2017 as BTC headed towards its giddy heights it represented less than 60% of the total crypto market valuation.  This share dropped to under 50% at the Dec high, and then down to less than 35% as the "alts" played catchup in the first couple of months of '18.

This time around BTC was over 60% in Nov '20, and has been increasing since then to over 70% now, indicating it is outpacing all the others, at least collectively.

I think this is due to the mainly institutional investors this time around that will be looking for stability, and a store of value as the fiat currencies are printed excessively with QE, so I don't think we'll see a collapse like 2018, at least not until we're over $2-400k.... bwtfdik.

Mike Maloney (a big Gold supporter) published a couple of videos on U-tube asking  Bitcoin: Is it too late? which are well worth watching whether you favour Bitcoin OR gold.  I'm not posting the link as I got banned previously for posting a U-tube link,  so you have to find it yourselves - sorry..!!!. 

Possibly as Paypal doesn't allow buying most alts or transferring BTC to other exchanges yet. Just wait for the explosion when they do! They have certainly been one factor of bitcoins dominance.

Remember bitcoin is just a store of value and is not nearly as fast as other cryptos.

Many people want to buy alts and have to buy BTC first. 

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

I registered 3 days ago, and still cannot deposit money in as they still haven't verified my account (passport and photo).

It says within 24 hours, but mentions it may be slow because of demand. Is anyone else experiencing a 3 day+ wait for verification? 

a thai friend told me last week that 40k people a day were joining bitkub. take it for what you want but if true i see that as the reason for the delay.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mr mr said:

It is driven by the FOMO crowd who will sell it all and take a gamble, but they wont be HODLers and will unfortunately panic instead of waiting a downturn out because they need the money.  As always never invest more than you can walk from.

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Don't want to be unkind but when even the old codgers from Thai Visa are plugging Bitcoin, it's necessary to be exceedingly cautious.Much the same feeling back in the early 1990's when maids and drivers were ploughing their money into the SET.

You might want to think outside of the box and realize there are those of us that are not as old as you believe.  More ways to be living here than to be just old.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 9:42 AM, Neeranam said:

What would you buy right now -  BTC or gold?

I think that BTC is going to take the gold market, but I could be wrong. 

BTC just passed 1,000,000 baht! I started buying it when it was 88,000 baht and survived and Hodled a long 3 -year bear market.  I remember being ridiculed here by some  gold maximalists ????

You are a full proponent of Bitcoin, Yes.

Pumping such product would serve you well, YES?

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, mr mr said:

a thai friend told me last week that 40k people a day were joining bitkub. take it for what you want but if true i see that as the reason for the delay.

I received an email from them in Thai apologizing for the delay, and that anybody that has waited more than 24 hours for verification will receive 500 baht in their Bitkub account. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 12:26 PM, Neeranam said:

Bitkub.com 

I also use Crypto.com as they give me a debit card where I get 5% cashback, well cryptoback. 

I used Bitkub too, now I am very wary of it.

Someone sold a heap of BTC when it was about 950,000thb and the price crashed to 820,000thb, they suspended trading and only restarted again when the price came back up. 

Someone got a heap of BTC at 100,000thb cheaper than the mean price.

Instaprofits.

I was not the only one that spotted this, many of the Thais that trade on there saw it and were discussing it on the chatbox.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I used Bitkub too, now I am very wary of it.

Someone sold a heap of BTC when it was about 950,000thb and the price crashed to 820,000thb, they suspended trading and only restarted again when the price came back up. 

Someone got a heap of BTC at 100,000thb cheaper than the mean price.

Instaprofits.

I was not the only one that spotted this, many of the Thais that trade on there saw it and were discussing it on the chatbox.

binance is great.

• Like 1