Samui 2021

On 8/20/2021 at 7:57 PM, gearbox said:

Go to the Phuket Sandbox, there are way cheaper hotels there, and then move to Samui.  Also if you plan to come November/December, the weather in Phuket is better.

In theory from 1st of October there would be entry for vaccinated without any quarantine requirements, but it is doubtful whether it would happen.

Does anybody know, when they stop tightening measures? I just want to wake up in one of Chongmon's resorts and visit my favourite local cafes, nothing more. 

16 hours ago, FrankMCG said:

Does anybody know, when they stop tightening measures? I just want to wake up in one of Chongmon's resorts and visit my favourite local cafes, nothing more. 

Are you in Thailand already?

If not, what country are you coming in from?

(The answers are different in all cases.)

• 3 weeks later...

New regulations for Samui effective from today, 11th November...

• Restaurants under Vaccine Green Zone can serve alcohol and organize Live Music
  • Shops etc. can be open until 24:00  
  • You need either negative COVID test or Vaccination to enter Samui domestically 
  • Unvaccinated residents can leave Samui with a 'Travel Certificate' and come back within 48 hours without having to undergo a COVID test

256333643_424846562506986_2952858064270272200_n.thumb.jpg.32a42b1316469d49a8ae3110e24791a6.jpg

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went into Chaweng last night,

Even more quiet than previous visits.

A number of tourists walking the road at the north end - after the one way section. Near the Sala Resort. A few restaurants open and Prego was packed.

Heading south down the one-way Beach Road - nothing except massage parlours open.

Eventually saw some lights - Burger King and MacDonalds. Both open and both empty. Mind you, I have lived here for over 20 years and never eaten in either.

Still looking for food - did a U turn onto the Lake Road behind MacDonalds.

Duke Pub open and a bar restaurant nearby blasting out live rock music. Packed and very noisy.

Finally ate at Duke Pub. Very limited menu. Very quiet there but what was offered was good quality, reasonably priced food.

Looked at Soi Green Mango - dead,

Went to Soi Reggae, a few bars open but not many. Maybe 4 or 5. Again, the soi was very quiet.

I feel that it is going to be a few years before Chaweng picks up.

32 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Duke Pub open and a bar restaurant nearby blasting out live rock music. Packed and very noisy.

Old School (former Bar, now Restaurant), a place mainly for Thais; lots of younger Thai girls come there, but the girls might not speak (much) English, nor at all be especially interested in foreigners, so there are also lots of Thai men...????

wIMG_0396_Old-School-Bar_CR.jpg.2ab291a9db6711726cafa9c39ebd3a64.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Old School (former Bar, now Restaurant), a place mainly for Thais; lots of younger Thai girls come there, but the girls might not speak (much) English, nor at all be especially interested in foreigners, so there are also lots of Thai men...????

So - 'That's Where You Go To (My Lovely)'

*With apologies to Peter Sarstedt.

PS I forgot to mention that the Aussie BBQ restaurant on Beach Road was also open.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Haha 1

It is starting to become a little bit busy here. 19 flights inbound to Samui today. Mind you, this was a four day weekend.

People flying in and hoping to pick up a hire car at the airport are disappointed unless they pre-booked. Even then, trying to book a couple of days ahead has not been enough.

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

It is starting to become a little bit busy here. 19 flights inbound to Samui today. Mind you, this was a four day weekend.

People flying in and hoping to pick up a hire car at the airport are disappointed unless they pre-booked. Even then, trying to book a couple of days ahead has not been enough.

Ive also been really busy with all my car and bike rentals. Im fully booked. All fanags though, no Thais here for the long weekend.

Long may it continue.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

26th to 31st December...

269696324_4757457284316056_5627591481454760651_n.jpg.718af62a0975cb99eff3dadcb3808fdd.jpg

Ko Samui Municipality invites you to attend this event in Nathon from 26th to 31st December...

Samui Food & Gastronomy "The color of the sea. The charm of the southern food." festival Great local food and seafood. End of 2021.
Let everyone taste a wide range of southern cuisine, local seafood, cultural performance events.
Special with a seafood menu from a local chef that invites you all to taste, fill with a chill seaside atmosphere and meet bands, artists.
26 Dec. The Sky Flower.
27 Dec. Story Band
28 Dec. Benz Chariya
29 Dec. Cheab Benchphorn
30 Dec. Season Band
31 Dec. V Groom
Let's end the year together in Samui Food & Gastronomy 2021 event at the Nanton Port.
Organized by Surat Thani Provincial Commercial Office and Surat Thani Province Tourism and Sports Office.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

On Sunday the airport was crowded 

Between 15 to 20 flights per day for almost every day this month.

17 flights so far scheduled for today and that is only until 17.30. There will be more flights added later as the last flight in is usually 20.30.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 10:30 PM, PoorSucker said:

On Sunday the airport was crowded 

It is going to be more busy at the airport this Sunday.

31 flights are due to land today.

As someone posted in another thread - GRAB and taxis are now becoming more rare.

Forget about hiring a car! I am having to lend mine out.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:35 AM, spidermike007 said:

Great band. Seen them live. A real old timer, classic Thai band. Really a fun show. Great guys. 

Was at a party w/Karabao many years ago. He sat at the same table as me and never said a word. He was really drunk but got up and sang the best version of Desperado I have ever heard...