Better Than Sex

Well, here we are still in Delhi, with occasional forays to Mumbai, only been here a month, feels like six :o

Anyway, one of the security guys at the Delhi Metro site office (where I'm currently imprisoned working) has a Royal Enfield Bullet 350 http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/Products/Bullet350.asp Today, he was persuaded to let me have a go, cost me a meal from the Indian version of Greasy Joes round the corner, there is no way I was going to touch the stuff they call 'food' but it got me a ride round the block.

350cc single, a whole twelve (count the legs) horsepower, right hand gearchange and top speed a breathtaking (not to mention goolie pulverising) 60mph!! It was like I was 18 again (had one then).

So now I've fallen in love with the bl00dy thing, no chance of getting an import to LoS (no RE agent here) or is there.

I know I'm one of the first with the 'don't try it' record when some noob wants to bring his M3, but maybe, just maybe, a motorcycle could be easier.

Anyone with any real experience of importing a mid-size bike (gotta be legal and above board) possibly a company who do this for a living?

All leads appreciated, I know, but I can dream can't I?

Well, here we are still in Delhi, with occasional forays to Mumbai, only been here a month, feels like six :D

Anyway, one of the security guys at the Delhi Metro site office (where I'm currently imprisoned working) has a Royal Enfield Bullet 350 http://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/Products/Bullet350.asp Today, he was persuaded to let me have a go, cost me a meal from the Indian version of Greasy Joes round the corner, there is no way I was going to touch the stuff they call 'food' but it got me a ride round the block.

350cc single, a whole twelve (count the legs) horsepower, right hand gearchange and top speed a breathtaking (not to mention goolie pulverising) 60mph!! It was like I was 18 again (had one then).

So now I've fallen in love with the bl00dy thing, no chance of getting an import to LoS (no RE agent here) or is there.

I know I'm one of the first with the 'don't try it' record when some noob wants to bring his M3, but maybe, just maybe, a motorcycle could be easier.

Anyone with any real experience of importing a mid-size bike (gotta be legal and above board) possibly a company who do this for a living?

A real motorbike :o Sorry I can't offer advice, but if you get around all the red tape, bring back 2 - I WANT ONE

Well, here we are still in Delhi, with occasional forays to Mumbai, only been here a month, feels like six :D

A real motorbike :o Sorry I can't offer advice, but if you get around all the red tape, bring back 2 - I WANT ONE

I have seen an Indian Enfield here in Thailand. You could probably find a real Enfield if you knew where to look. There used to be a guy specializing in old English bike across from the National Stadium, but I don't know if that is there anymore. There are Thais who are interested in old bikes from Europe and the UK. Earlier this year I was driving up to Kao Yai and there was obviously some kind of old Brit bike rally, and I passed old Matchless, Triumph, Nortons, AJS, Enfields, BSAs, etc. A few years back a lot of ex-military bikes from Burma (Norton, Triumph, BSA) could be found in some shops. So, if you want an old British single you can find one.

Crossy, one of the major American bike magazines tested the RE 500 in a comparison with the Suzuki GS500E, the Kawasaki Ninja 500, maybe the Suzuki 650 Savage, etc. The Royal Enfield came in dead last, and they said it was far, far worse than that in comparison to any bikes designed since.....you know, 1980.

I had a Triumph 650 twin bored out to 700, racing cams, etc., etc., in 1964. Fastest drag bike on the streets of San Antonio. Couldn't keep it running, could just barely kick it over, Lucas electrics (say no more), etc. Piece of English workmanship, a real stormer in 1957, but now it would come in dead last in a comparison with a new 500 twin, which would go endlessly before needing repair.

Crossy, if you just need a very expensive nostalgia trip, go for it (especially if your temples aren't the same color hair any more). Otherwise, I'd forget it. But I wouldn't forget sex. :o

Crossy, one of the major American bike magazines tested the RE 500 in a comparison with the Suzuki GS500E, the Kawasaki Ninja 500, maybe the Suzuki 650 Savage, etc. The Royal Enfield came in dead last, and they said it was far, far worse than that in comparison to any bikes designed since.....you know, 1980.

I had a Triumph 650 twin bored out to 700, racing cams, etc., etc., in 1964. Fastest drag bike on the streets of San Antonio. Couldn't keep it running, could just barely kick it over, Lucas electrics (say no more), etc. Piece of English workmanship, a real stormer in 1957, but now it would come in dead last in a comparison with a new 500 twin, which would go endlessly before needing repair.

Crossy, if you just need a very expensive nostalgia trip, go for it (especially if your temples aren't the same color hair any more). Otherwise, I'd forget it. But I wouldn't forget sex. :o

My first bike in the UK was Royal Enfield Crusader ...............ahhh great fun

Make that 3 Crossy, i want a Bullett too, had one in the 6ties and there was nothing {except major items} that i couldnt fix at home, not sure if the RE india model has a mag dynamo setup, perhaps alternator now? does it still have a one kick neutral selector? my model had teloscopic front forks and a rigid rear end, engine was prone to a few oil leaks, but that was a trait of REs, when you could leave your bike with helmet outside the cinema, RE owners helmets were always on the seat, others were under the engine!!

Cant help you with the import thing except ride it all the way!! If you do find out the best way, please keep us posted, im fed up of cleaning my 1200 Yam after going to the farm, cheers, Lickey..

Yep, that's precisely what I need (at least I still have hair on my temples, it is a bit grey though), this would be a toy :D Just the 'power stroke every other telegraph pole' sound makes me weak at the knees (ok, over dramatic, but it still sounds nice) :D

Had a go on my son's Fireblade (in the UK), nearly shit myself just getting it down the street in 1st, just waaaaay to much grunt for me (would have loved one when I was his age though).

I'll never forget sex, three weeks until I can visit the wifey :D :D

Edited by Crossy

I have beentryig to get one here as well and even emailed the factory about it. They said there were no dealers in Thailand but they were looking for one, Was I interested? Needed a large amount of cash and dealership experience. That's me out plus I don't want to be in Bangkok.

I think they would be very popular here, given the Thai's love of classic stuff. The new ones aren't too bad as you can see them all over India. they are exporting them back to the UK and there is a huge aftermarket accessory inventory for them.

maybe we should band together and get a dealership going or petition the Indians to get them out here! I guess being 350 and 500cc would get taxed to hel_l and make them too expensive?

As for marketing Royal Enfield 350 and 500 motorcycles in Thailand, keep in mind that you seldom see Honda 150 and 200 or Kawasaki 175's. And you see fewer bigger bikes, which are often illegal or falsely licensed. I question if there's a market for 200 sales per year. Even among us expats, only a handful have the cash and wish to buy such a throwback to our childhood. I'll bet the dependability, parts availability, reliability, and construction quality are atrocious. If it's just a toy to use in running down the road once a week until something fails, you can enjoy walking home.

Also, if there were so much demand, wouldn't the other brands be importing their 250, 500, and 600 cc models here?

Ahh, a trip down memory lane, the sound of a big single as opposed to the screech of a little 2 stroke, or the constipated sound of a 250/500 jap twin, or even the howl of a big four cyl with a race can, {me :o } I wouldnt begin to compare the reliabillty or perfomance with modern jap stuff, even old jap stuff, but then its the fun of biking, pottering about the local roads with a pudding basin helmet and shades, great stuff!!

And with that throbbing away between your legs, could be a prelude to a great evening, :D