Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No way!

I'm  a hard barsteward and I want the tattooed bar code option like Bruce Willis!

...and my ex- fiancee's runaway boxer.

You mean you don't want the chipped blood vial like Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie had......gasp, oh the horrors

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

You mean you don't want the chipped blood vial like Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie had......gasp, oh the horrors

No, not intimate enough. A tattoo is forever. Just ask my ex-fiancées runaway boxer.

11 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

The question of that this kind of app is on discussion around the world. While centralized option can track your phone, decentralized keep safe your information;

1E7D0034-19DB-427B-939B-3FD34ABDDCDD.jpeg

Interesting scheme like in Singapore where the government has already handed over all data to the police

• Like 2

The same country that could not get a law enforced to ban riders from going down the highway in the bed of a pickup truck is now going to mandate those same people own a smartphone and download this app?  The prisons will be full to overflowing. Which will be interesting, because they're already full to overflowing so much that they're giving people early release.

• Like 1

According to Richard Barrow and Thaiger this becomes 'compulsory'  if you plan to do interprovincial travel. I guess that means you will be checked when you cross provincial borders.

2h
If you plan to do interprovincial travel in these five provinces Chanthaburi, Chonburi (Pattaya), Trat, Rayong & Samut Sakhon you MUST download and use the two apps. The names are ThaiChana and MorChana. They are available for both iPhone and Android. Just search for those names.

24 minutes ago, CLW said:

Quite misleading (clickbait?) headline as the installation of the app is only required for certain provinces of Thailand.

According to this article, it's only required for interprovincial travel with the red provinces, not for travelling within them, or if you just live there and never go anywhere else:

"The Thai Government has clarified that the “MorChana” GPS tracking and tracing application is required for interprovincial travel in the highest risk zones, which are currently five provinces, including Chonburi/Pattaya. Failure to have the application and if caught with Covid-19 can result in stiff fines and possible jail time if traveling inter provincially without it.

The current five high-risk zones are Chonburi/Pattaya, Rayong, Trat, Nonthaburi, and Samut Sakhon."

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/01/07/thai-morchana-gps-tracking-and-tracing-application-required-for-inter-provincial-travel-to-and-from-highest-risk-covid-19-zones/

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I think there is a very big difference in asking people to check in when they visit places, and install a tracking app that constantly monitors and reports directly to Government agencies.

One is helpful and co-operative, the latter is invasive and a breach of privacy. 

YCMTSU

When you turn the app OFF, it is tracking NOTHING.

When you turn it ON and use it when popping in and out of stores, it is INTERACTIVELY tracking.

When you finish shopping, you turn it OFF and it STOPS tracking.

The next time you turn it ON and scan a QR code, the database will either flag you as still 'green' or will alert you that in recent times you were in close proximity to a smartphone being used by a user who has reported as testing positive. They don't know where, when or who and neither do you.... but it happened. You should then go and get a test.

NB: Showing the red flag on your chosen smartphone app to the testing center entitles you TO  A FREE TEST!

After 28 days, all the data acquired during the interactive tracking cycles is deleted.

MorChana/ThaiChana App for Dummies: Chapter 1, section 3 page 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Definitely use the ThaiChana app (blue fist icon), MorChana wants wayyyy too much personal data (and apparently swallows the battery too).

EDIT The ThaiChana link in the OP appears to be for registration of a store, the App itself is in the Android and iOS playstores.

Wouldn’t even download on my phone say no wifi connection, I go mall IT internet ok app bad 

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

I use an old small Nokia that fits into my trousers pocket when I am outside. So no way to use the app. Only alternative is to write your name and phone number on this dirty piece of paper with a dirty pen. In the end you can write there what you want. 

You can bring your own pen. Or did you mean your own pen is the dirty one? ????

• Like 1

Enough excuses. You live here pop down to 7/11 & buy one, if you cannot afford, what the heck are you doing here.

You can still enter stores & banks  without one but the regmarole required will send you running to buy a smartphone

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Sorry; daft statement; we have a lot of old Thai's living around us who don't have a Smart Phone or Internet, some don't even have a Land Line.  You are assuming everyone is either living in a City Condo, a Palace with a Ferrari or some such.   You have forgotten the Core people of Thailand !

How many people do you know who does not have access to a mobile phone?...That go shopping at posh malls?