Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Then what do you do, after you've scanned the QR code?

Don't they want you name still, or mobile number?

It will give you a weblink to the ThaiChana website. You click the check in button which I'm assuming stores your phone number and Iocation. Upon exiting you reverse the process and click check out but they're really mostly interested in checking in so you can be contacted should a Covid case be identified at same location and time frame

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I thought the whole point of the technology was to transfer each person's details instantly, just by the scanning of the QR code. Obviously not then?

must be , as others those paper would not lying there and the pen .....

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

So if you don't own a smartphone you are now a criminal in Thailand???

Thanks for this and I suppose if I was still residing in Thailand I could be fined for not having one. I do not have a smartphone as I cannot use them due to distorted  finger injuries from many years associated with football (soccer). Glad I was lucky to leave paranoid Thailand just before the borders closed, to continue retirement in Cambodia. 

• Like 1

I have not download the app but if you had the tracking app installed on your phone and before you left home went to settings, apps, then to the tracking app permissions and disabled all of them especially 'location' they would think you were still at home or just switch on air plane mode ????????

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Definitely use the ThaiChana app (blue fist icon), MorChana wants wayyyy too much personal data (and apparently swallows the battery too).

EDIT The ThaiChana link in the OP appears to be for registration of a store, the App itself is in the Android and iOS playstores.

I'm pretty sure that if you force quit the app when done with it it won't consume battery. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

this app is not even made by the government, but KRUNG THAI BANK 

Which one is this: ThaiChana, MorChana, or maybe both?

I'll regret this, why is a bank building these apps, not a government department?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

This is amazing!

I kept seeing people point their phone at a QR code in the shop entrance, then carry on walking.

You're telling me I have to enter my personal details every time I go into the shop, even with this Thai Chana app?

I don't enter any personal information. As far as I know it uses your phone number which in theory is linked to your passport etc. when you registered the sim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jonathan Swift said:

another professional critic of all things Thai. Anyone without a phone can expect to have problems traveling during this. That's just a covid reality. Life isn't easy, never will be. I'm sure the government is not concerned with babysitting those few people. If they are farang there's no excuse. Second hand phones are cheap, I got all mine on ebay. You can ask any 10 year old to teach you the basics of how to use an app. If they are Thai I'm sure there are means to deal with it. You DO remember whose country it is, right? Not yours. 

Thank zeus the world has people like you. Some of us like to live our own life. 

We believe we are quite comfortable living our own life while obeying ALL relevant laws.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

As far as I know it uses your phone number which in theory is linked to your passport etc. when you registered the sim.

Is that still being enforced.  I remember it was first brought in possibly 10 years ago, then it went by the wayside. It was then re-intorduced and you couldn't use a SIM until you'd registered.  I expected it would dwindle again - no?

I was just refused registration due to too many attempts to register. By the time I write the number and then attempt to find the details again, it refuses the last registration. Completely useless, but what's new?

1 minute ago, alanrchase said:

I don't enter any personal information. As far as I know it uses your phone number which in theory is linked to your passport etc. when you registered the sim.

Thanks. Sorry to be pedantic about this.

So it now seems not only do you scan the QR code, but you need mobile data as well for it to upload your details?

I had no idea of that. Most of this hasn't been clearly explained. So the smartphone users with no mobile data plan are just not registered, and have wasted everyone's time?

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days.

Oh yes there is - medical reasons! Finger injuries (as in my case) for which a medical certificate would be issued. A 3G mobile phone with keypad is okay for me but as I no longer live in Thailand, those of you who do, and experience similar medical conditions, have my sympathy. 

13 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

Absolute bull. My wifes mother doesnt own a smartphone as she cant work it. Many people i know within family especially the older generation do not own posses or have the knowledge to use smart phone.

So your saying Thai people that cant afford them shouldnt be in Thailand where do you suggest they go they you muppet.....!!!

Someone of that age will not be wanting to travel from one highly infected  province to another during a pandemic would they.
Use your brain! 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Shuya said:

After downloading the app, during registration it says "no internet connection". Works like a charm. 

Re: Thaichana app. To register, turn off wifi and use 3g/4g data. you use your mobile number to register. That worked for me. Once registered you can access the app with wifi.

Edited by pj123

4 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Someone of that age will not be wanting to travel from one highly infected  province to another during a pandemic would they.
Use your brain! 

I think you and the world would be a lot better off if irrelevant people such as yourself would 

realise that their opinions were not inflicted on our sanity!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMPORTANT: It is now compulsory for people crossing provincial borders in the five highly controlled areas to download the Mor Chana application. If you are tested positive for #COVID19 and you do not have this app then you will be prosecuted.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Looks like they are going to cancel the rule that people travelling in the five provinces must have the Mor Chana app. Apparently they just realized that not everyone has a smartphone and so not fair to penalise them for this #COVID19 #โควิด19 #Thailand

Oops another Boll0ck dropped