Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

So if you don't own a smartphone you are now a criminal in Thailand???

1) my iphone is too old, or app ask newer OS, which my old one is not capable

2) don't have a data plan, not going to spend money to go to be able to go shop

wonder what will happen... denied entry ?

10 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I thought that sim cards have to registered to the owner . if you turn on location they could track and trace from that . Or am I completely wrong ?

You don't need to turn on location for this, the networks track you all the time.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HappyinNE said:

Sorry but I can afford to get linked to the internet on my phone.  I don't want to!  I use the internet on a laptop at home.  The rest of the time I don't need to be bothered or tracked.  I keep track of where I am so do not need tracking.

They may be working on a new version called "Skint-Chana" . it uses pen and ink on paper, which has always been an option for those without phones

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

Tvisa_breakingnews800.jpg

Contact tracing applications are now compulsory for people living in Thailand and those who do not use them and later test positive for COVID-19 could face legal action.

Members of the public, particularly those residing in high risk areas now need to download the Mor Chana or Thai Chana contact tracing app, Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) spokesperson Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin announced on Thursday.

The government’s Mor Chana and Thai Chana apps enable health workers to track a person’s movements and places they have visited in the event they may have come into contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19.

Dr Thaweesin also confirmed the travel restrictions in place in five eastern provinces, which prevents all but essential travel in and out of Chonburi, including Pattaya, Trat, Samut Sakhon, Chanthaburi and Rayong. Anyone travelling to or from these provinces must have the contact tracing apps installed on their smartphone.

Dr Thaweesin also said that as well as the use of the Mor Chana app, face masks are also compulsory.

This is a developing news story. This post may be updated without warning.

Download Thailand’s COVID-19 contact tracing apps:

Mor Chana: 

Android

iOS

Thai Chana:

Website

Today's daily COVID-19 where Deputy Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Natapanu Nopakun confirms the compulsory use of the contact tracing apps.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-07

I have the app but have barely been asked to use it. When i have it didn't work. Nicely done

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They've already retracted this:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Looks like they are going to cancel the rule that people travelling in the five provinces must have the Mor Chana app. Apparently they just realized that not everyone has a smartphone and so not fair to penalise them for this #COVID19 #โควิด19 #Thailand

It's the 'elf minister who has "walked back the threat" to quote Coconuts Bangkok.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Dit non plus.

edit: So that one lasted perhaps four hours then.

Edited by bluesofa

So... you need an app... I've been doing it all wrong then.

If required to actually register (not often) I just point the phone at the QR code wait a couple of seconds then move on to the temp check.

Works for me.

Edited by ThaidDown
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I didn't know you could use Line for this?

Tell me more, tell me more.

At the top of the Home page there is a symbol on the rh side of the search bar. Tap on that and it opens a QR code scanner. Scan the shop QR code and a web page address comes up at the top of the screen. Tap that and it opens the check in/check out web page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Apparently they just realized that not everyone has a smartphone and so not fair to penalise them for this

I remember in 1992 when George H. W. Bush on the presidential campaign went into a grocery store and was amazed at the technology that allowed scanners to automatically ring up the price of a gallon of milk by just sliding it across a glass plate. The gap between governments and the everyday experiences of the people they rule over is vast and often unimaginable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadMac said:

You don't need to turn on location for this, the networks track you all the time.

And can also be turned off if you are on a secret mission.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

At the top of the Home page there is a symbol on the rh side of the search bar. Tap on that and it opens a QR code scanner. Scan the shop QR code and a web page address comes up at the top of the screen. Tap that and it opens the check in/check out web page.

This is amazing!

I kept seeing people point their phone at a QR code in the shop entrance, then carry on walking.

You're telling me I have to enter my personal details every time I go into the shop, even with this Thai Chana app?

Seems only if you later test positive for covid-19.

And then face "legal action" and don't have the app??

Whatever that means, as a legal action it must be publicly specified or it is arbitrary and capricious - shouldn't be enforceable. It's like saying, 'if you test positive and don't have the app, we can do whatever.' That's not a rule of law. 

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

This is amazing!

I kept seeing people point their phone at a QR code in the shop entrance, then carry on walking.

You're telling me I have to enter my personal details every time I go into the shop, even with this Thai Chana app?

Theoretically   yes , but you can also write it by pen on the book ...... never strict enforced by Tesco & Big C  ....up to now , just temperature taking (automat system with gate opens if O.K.) and handwashing 

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb
If people can not afford that, then they can't afford to be here in Thailand

Looks like half the elders in our village will be getting kicked out of Thailand then if that's the case. Perhaps you could be the one to tell them in your very best Thai????

Edited by MRJOHNNY
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, david555 said:
6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

This is amazing!

Theoretically   yes , but you can also write it by pen on the book ...... never strict enforced by Tesco & Big C  ....up to now , just temperature taking (automat system with gate opens if O.K.) and handwashing 

I thought the whole point of the technology was to transfer each person's details instantly, just by the scanning of the QR code. Obviously not then?

Yes. Any other questions? Such as why would anyone living in today's world outside of extreme poverty or in the hills and jungles not have a smart phone? I would go as far as saying no one should enter the country without a smart phone. I would go further and say no one in their right mind would or should travel in a covid infected world without one. Stay home, stay away from Thailand. Meanwhile, I'm sure that Thailand can address the issue if it exists just fine. I hope this puts your mind at rest. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1