Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

Maybe people need to actually be in Thailand and actually install the app before commenting.

Then they will find out THERE IS NO PERSONAL DATA entered to install or use the app.

You do not disclose your name, your address or your shoe size, there is literally no field to enter any of this information. The app will work with with/without fulltime internet access, the contact tracing part is done via Bluetooth/GPS, (both will work without internet) The app logs if you came within a couple of meters of an infected persons Bluetooth or location and will report and advise next time you log on.

9 minutes ago, pj123 said:

Re: Thaichana app. To register, turn off wifi and use 3g/4g data. you use your mobile number to register. That worked for me. Once registered you can access the app with wifi.

I've just d/l the ThaiChana app.

I can't see anywhere to register?

If I click the shutter at the bottom of the screen it wants to scan a QR code (I suppose)?

The 'person' icon at the top right just seems to say who's developed it?

image.thumb.png.c171d6b5539e82a2522092eb46c63ab2.png

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Coming soon to a corner near you....Government Chipping stations to ensure you can be traced and tracked like a dog....

Not at all thousands of people are dying they want to get this of this ya douche 

• Confused 3

All of this is due to extreme incompetence and extreme corruption. The outbreak in Samut could have been easily contained. Had Prayuth and Anutin, two stunningly incompetence men, taken action early, and decisively. Instead, the whole country is made to suffer the consequences of inaction. 

So, what the Thai people should say is

1. How can you demonstrate to us, that you are up for the task of leadership?

2. What are you doing to prove that you can and will protect us?

3. Instead of contact tracing us, how about we trace you, and make sure you are doing your job? How about you report to us daily, and let us know how you are handling and containing this epidemic that happened on your watch?

4. Why did you not prevent this? How did you allow these corrupt officials to let infected people in? Why have you been so hard on foreigners, yet so lax on the borders? 

5. Why are you not making the vaccines more of a priority? Why isn't the army sacrificing some of its huge budget for the people? 

6. What are you planning on offering the people in the way of assistance, so they can survive this disaster you helped create?

7. Can you demonstrate to us  why you think Anutin, who has no background whatsoever in the filed of health, is up for the task of tackling this emergency? 

8. How about a compulsory level of competence and experience, for all future administration appointments to key positions? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cheapcanuck said:

What to do if 1. You dont have phone? 2. the app doesn't work on your 3 year old phone?

Apart from buying a new(er) phone how about reading a few of the recent posts before posting. The mandatory bit has been rescinded (for now).

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

I have a smart phone, with internet connection, with Thai chana app.

I also use a VPN when phone connected to the internet. With VPN you cannot register Thai Chana or use the scanner process who’s gives the 403 error when used. 

I use Thai Chana but not my fault it does not work. 

So turn off the bloody VPN.

Sheesh.

24 minutes ago, Henk Langeweg said:

I wait a few days before I start to read this, could be again a completely different story then ...

From what I am reading you will not have to wait that long..I believe it is already being put back in its box.......

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sambum said:

Gawd, not another member of the "if you don't like it go home" brigade?

It's not that people can't afford them - some people just don't like the "Big Brother" aspect of what is happening. Personally, I use to like the old Nokias that functioned purely as a phone with no gadgets!  

Also for some people technology scares them, "I've never needed it in the past, I don't know why I need it now" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I didn't know you could use Line for this?

Tell me more, tell me more.

Yes, you can use Line to scan QR codes for ThaiChana. Now they have rescinded the requirement to have MorChana, seems you won't need anything else.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

Tvisa_breakingnews800.jpg

Contact tracing applications are now compulsory for people living in Thailand and those who do not use them and later test positive for COVID-19 could face legal action.

Members of the public, particularly those residing in high risk areas now need to download the Mor Chana or Thai Chana contact tracing app, Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) spokesperson Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin announced on Thursday.

The government’s Mor Chana and Thai Chana apps enable health workers to track a person’s movements and places they have visited in the event they may have come into contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19.

Dr Thaweesin also confirmed the travel restrictions in place in five eastern provinces, which prevents all but essential travel in and out of Chonburi, including Pattaya, Trat, Samut Sakhon, Chanthaburi and Rayong. Anyone travelling to or from these provinces must have the contact tracing apps installed on their smartphone.

Dr Thaweesin also said that as well as the use of the Mor Chana app, face masks are also compulsory.

This is a developing news story. This post may be updated without warning.

Download Thailand’s COVID-19 contact tracing apps:

Mor Chana: 

Android

iOS

Thai Chana:

Website

Today's daily COVID-19 where Deputy Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Natapanu Nopakun confirms the compulsory use of the contact tracing apps.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-07

I don't have a phone. I've got a pencil and paper.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

O.K. then, whatever happened to personnal choice. I do not own a smartphone, I do not WANT to own a smartphone, my phone sends and receives calls........that is all I require............Nothing at all to do with money.

So you're I guess using some other (non portable) device to send this message?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So turn off the bloody VPN.

Sheesh.

Two different VPNs I use allow the VPN to automatically not affect a particular app if desired.  So I can use ThaiChana without manually turning off/on the VPN.

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yes, you can use Line to scan QR codes for ThaiChana. Now they have rescinded the requirement to have MorChana, seems you won't need anything else.

OK, I follow that part about using Line to scan a QR code.

It's the next bit that I'm still stuck. Someone has said if I use Line it takes me to a website and I have to enter all my details manually every time?

I thought that by using the ThaiChana app, I could register just once and then use it to scan the shop's QR code and it would send all my details automatically?

Am I being dense here?

That's why I earlier u/l a screenshot of the ThaiChana app, to try to find out how to register with it.

Not installing tracing app is not a crime, but concealing information is

Screen-Shot-2564-01-07-at-15.54.33.png

Anuthin Charnvirakul, Thailand’s Public Health minister, said that, although it is a requirement, under a newly issued directive, for everyone to download and use the country’s tracing application, he understands that there are cases of people do not have smartphones. So, someone not using the Mor-Chana or Thai Chana application will not be charged with a crime. Concealing information of their whereabouts is, however, a crime, punishable under the directive.

Earlier today, during a CCSA press conference, Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin mentioned five measures that everyone should adhere to, namely maintaining a personal distance, wearing a face mask, washing hands, monitoring body temperature and downloading and using the tracing applications, where applicable. Criminalization of the failure to install the applications will be considered further.

Anuthin said he had raised, with the prime minister, that making it mandatory might create undue problems for some people without smartphones. The prime minister agreed with him, and will amend the directive so that a document may be used, instead of the tracing application.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/not-installing-tracing-app-is-not-a-crime-but-concealing-information-is/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-07

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

OK, I follow that part about using Line to scan a QR code.

It's the next bit that I'm still stuck. Someone has said if I use Line it takes me to a website and I have to enter all my details manually every time?

I thought that by using the ThaiChana app, I could register just once and then use it to scan the shop's QR code and it would send all my details automatically?

Am I being dense here?

That's why I earlier u/l a screenshot of the ThaiChana app, to try to find out how to register with it.

You don't need the ThaiChana app. All you need is a QR code reader, which is built into Line. That's it. ThaiChana doesn't require you to register. It's the place you check in and out of that has to register. You just scan their QR code on entry and exit.

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Correct. It's called a personal computer. A device that enables you to avoid being at everyones beck and call twenty four hours a day.????

It's interesting. For me, a phone fits the ephemeral nature of social media perfectly. I never use my lappy for it. But each to his own!

• Confused 2

What if you use a VPN, will they go looking in South America for me?

Also I don't use roaming data when I go out so only the phone signal will give my location to the nearest aerial. My spare (old) phone doesn't have a sim card so I will install the app on that.

I have a QR reader but I don't have Line (and don't want it).

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
New info

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

You don't need the ThaiChana app. All you need is a QR code reader, which is built into Line. That's it. ThaiChana doesn't require you to register. It's the place you check in and out of that has to register. You just scan their QR code on entry and exit.

OK. Are you saying I don't need to enter any information at all using my phone, not initially, nor any time I scan the QR code?

How does the system know who I am, similar to people using the manual method to write their name and phone number?

This is a straight question. I can't seem to get an answer.

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no excuse not to own one these days. They can be had for as little as 1-2k thb
If people can not afford that, then they can't afford to be here in Thailand

Yes, because you must be able to do a videocall before going on a date un case she doesn't look as on her pictures. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never leave my home and I don't have a mobile phone.

So if I did buy a mobile phone, and use the app, it would show I had never left my home.

(assuming if I were to leave my home, I'd take the phone with the app with me

perfect,explain that to the police and they'll smile and wave you on

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

OK. Are you saying I don't need to enter any information at all using my phone, not initially, nor any time I scan the QR code?

How does the system know who I am, similar to people using the manual method to write their name and phone number?

This is a straight question. I can't seem to get an answer.

I think if you use the QR scanner in LINE only, the store will capture your info which will go in the 28-day database but without either of the recommended apps, you won't be notified of being in close proximity to someone who has subsequently reported being infected. IMHO, if you are not going the whole nine yards and installing either app, just stick to he note pad and pen at the door. I seriously doubt that info is being archived in any form that will make for a quick search and ring-around if a cluster pops up at your local Tesco-Lotus.