What precautions are you taking for the developing situation.

BritManToo

9 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Never seen or heard of this fruit.

That's why I buy a load whenever I see them. It's called canistel in the West. Here some market vendors call it Mon Kai or even refer to it as Mountain Avocado. It's my kryptonite

10 hours ago, tonray said:

The only panic buying I ever do is when I see egfruit at some local market....so hard to find in Bangkok area...I usually buy up most of the inventory. Addicted to it...great for smoothies

eggfruit-400x267.jpg

Monkai, know a farmer in the hills of Samui who grows and brings me that sometimes. Extremely delicious. Fantastic in muesli with other fruit too 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

You might have a bit of rice left.. but the rest will be gone in a week.. 

I'm not an alcoholic, I like to get a bit fuzzy, and that only takes 3 shots or 3 wine coolers a day.

a bottle of spirits generally lasts me 2-3 weeks.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

In Chiang Mai,

My kids school closed yesterday until further notice.

My other kids university sent a letter to all the 'work experience' sites saying expect to lose all your free staff in the next few days.

if that isn't 'going that way', I  don't know what is.

I did buy a 36 pack of toilet rolls while I was in Makro.

My kids school closed already Tuesday in a no red zone, with almost no infections. Not to worry, good precautions, though. ????

I worry most that you have miscalculated the time the alcohol will last. At a lockdown you will be in bigger need out of boredom. Means you have to double the normal intake. ????????????

Why in the world do you need toilet rolls, in a country where they have such a good thing as the BumGun as standard? Best invention ever!

As for your wish to know about what precautions we are taking:

Actually not more then we have been doing all the time. Refrain from unnessecary travel, and use face mask when entering shops, markets or other places with more or less people. That as well as using the app or writing your name and phonnumber when entering and exiting shops and buildings.

Regarding stocking up, the home is always filled to the limit. Two big freeze boxes, one refrigerator for beer and coolers, ready mixed drinks. Another refridgerator for food and a pantry filled up. Rice is always enough of as well as bulgur, pasta, potato, french fries and quinoa. Vegetables are out in the garden.

Everything is as good as it can be. Essential alcohol like whiskey, rum, vodka and vine are bought in boxes.

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TSF said:

Hard to believe there are long term expats here who still use bog roll. I gave up on using the dreadful stuff about a month after I first arrived in Thailand and got into the habit of using water. I use bog roll today to blow my nose.

Well, I still can't get the press/trajectory right. Can't seem to master the trajectory right on using the squat toilet here, in Japan nor Italy right without removing my pants to avoid disaster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've been out and bought,

45Kg of Jasmine rice, cheese, spaghetti, flour, 2 bottles of Gin, and a bottle of Rum.

So that's emergency food for 3 months, and booze for a month.

How about you?

Am I panic buying, or are these reasonable precautions?

Needless panicking. I was here during the last lock down and there was never any shortage of anything at all. Apart from a brief alcohol ban which was easily circumvented.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

The only precaution i ever took in my life is not to drink and drive and always wear a condom, this Covid business is totally new on me...

How do you take a pee wearing a plunky?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Well I prefer a bum gun to bogroll and we have a decent filter for our drinking/cooking/fruit & Veg washing water.

The toilet roll is for drying your self with after using the bum gun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I do nothing as I did last time.

This country is a food full resource country.

They are not going to run out of food.  They are not going to totally close all the markets.

I guess it make some feel better, sure seems Paranoid and childish.

You must have missed 2011.  Plenty of food, sure.  But the roads were flooded and very hard to get the food where it was needed.  Drinking water was hard to find anywhere near my apartment in Asoke in BKK.  In fact, our company purchased a semi-truck load of water and kept it in the office for employees to take home.  It was gone by the end.

Not hard to imagine a similar issue with transportation across provincial lines if some governors get too zealous with their checkpoints.

Here in small town Thailand the supermarkets were pretty well denuded by the Bangkok hordes visiting family over the New Year holidays.

I normally visit the markets and supermarkets every other day and just buy enough to last me a few days. I don't see anything much changing, out here in the sticks, and don't intend to stock up on anything.

It's funny, all the restaurants and entertainment places are open, but are completely empty of customers, except for a few of us farang. I guess we'll have to shoulder the burden of trying to keep at least some of the local economy afloat (e.g. the places with the prettiest girls).

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've been out and bought,

45Kg of Jasmine rice, cheese, spaghetti, flour, 2 bottles of Gin, and a bottle of Rum.

So that's emergency food for 3 months, and booze for a month.

How about you?

Am I panic buying, or are these reasonable precautions?

You bought materials for unhealthy living. High carb/sugar and  liver destroying alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, tonray said:

The only panic buying I ever do is when I see egfruit at some local market....so hard to find in Bangkok area...I usually buy up most of the inventory. Addicted to it...great for smoothies

eggfruit-400x267.jpg

Yet another strange fruit on TVF!

16 hours ago, poohy said:

Completely Seriously here  ...in the land of the bum gun why do you need toilet paper

To dry yourself. That's why its sold. Thats why its provided in all bathrooms and thats why a container is provided for wet paper disposal. People use toilet paper here not to wipe themselves clean, utterly horrible, but to pat themselves dry after washing with the hose!

• Like 1

My partner and I are back to eating at home more--and staying at home more.  We do a big grocery shop once a week.  Yesterday we were at Big C Marina and there weren't many shoppers.  We had lunch at 1pm at Yayoi and the server told us we were only the second customers of the day--hard to see how they can remain open unless things improve.  Miyazaki already closed.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 8:41 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Exactly. There will always be enough of everything to go round and the supermarkets will never close. 

Panic buying is beyond selfish.

NINTCHDBPICT000571659909-e1584527879438.jpg

I have a good few items that have a long shelf life that are 2 for the price of 1, as I drink it every day (soft drinks, no sugar), but could be mistaken for panic buying.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:57 AM, Boomer6969 said:

Did my extension of stay as early as possible. As I don't want to get caught in some post (forthcoming) amnesty crowd. Or worse, being locked up in some "field hospital" while getting into overstay.

I can't renew my ext of stay, my agent is in Pattaya, so will probably have to apply for that 60 day visa thing whatever it is called, and hope that things are better by then.

14 hours ago, impulse said:

You must have missed 2011.  Plenty of food, sure.  But the roads were flooded and very hard to get the food where it was needed.  Drinking water was hard to find anywhere near my apartment in Asoke in BKK.  In fact, our company purchased a semi-truck load of water and kept it in the office for employees to take home.  It was gone by the end.

Not hard to imagine a similar issue with transportation across provincial lines if some governors get too zealous with their checkpoints.

True, you know what authority does to these people.

Cases are dropping, thankfully, I have seen no indications at all, of the kind of insane panic buying we saw in America, and the inventories in all of the markets I have been to have been normal. So, why panic buy now? We have plenty of food in the house, and the markets are brimming with veggies, fruits, meats, fish, etc. 

Was speaking with my sister yesterday and she lives in Montana. She was remarking on how many seemingly rational minded people she has met up there, who either have or are building underground bunkers, fully stocked with food and provisions. No doubt mostly Trump supporters, and believers in the coming Zombie Apocalypse of some sort. Imagine the cost? I was wondering.

A minimal bunker can cost upward of $38,000, depending on how hooked-up the safe house is. A reinforced concrete bunker averages around 2,500-square-feet. One that includes kitchen gear and other amenities can cost about $60,000.

In order to receive a bunker, shipping costs a pretty penny too. It could go for about $10,000. Then, there excavation and installation, because bunkers are buried at least 6-feet underground. This could be around $20,000 to $25,000 extra.

https://homeappraisalsinc.com/site-blog/reasons-to-get-an-appraisal/how-much-does-a-doomsday-preppers-bunker-cost/

The floor plans below are standard layouts but don’t let that limit your imagination. Every bunker/bomb shelter we build is customized to meet or exceed your needs and expectations. If you see something you like but you want to make some changes, it’s no problem. If you want to mix and match floor plans, that’s OK too! The only limitations in building your ALL steel custom bunker are your budget and your imagination.

https://risingsbunkers.com/layouts-pricing-bunkers/

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/prepared-for-anything_bunkers-for-all/995134

Community style bunkers? Several resale places are available in the 10,000-square-foot complex. Each place costs £28,000 ($35k) per person, which isn't overly expensive, especially since the underground bolthole is more like a comfortable four-star hotel than a spartan military bunker. The impressive Indiana facility can accommodate its residents for a minimum of a year, with no need to venture up to the surface. Big on amenities, the shelter has a huge chef-style kitchen, a movie theatre, open-plan lounge area and a whole lot more besides.

https://www.loveproperty.com/gallerylist/78262/affordable-bunkers-to-survive-the-apocalypse

Seem a bit extreme? Not for many. 

292fe67f-1fe6-48a7-8adb-2a3347253bd8-18-Vivos-Indiana.jpg

6062dc41-32ec-46b1-94b7-dfd774a41e59-17-Vivos-Indiana.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Was speaking with my sister yesterday and she lives in Montana. She was remarking on how many seemingly rational minded people she has met up there, who either have or are building underground bunkers, fully stocked with food and provisions. No doubt mostly Trump supporters, and believers in the coming Zombie Apocalypse of some sort. Imagine the cost? I was wondering.

If you are going to use the stuff anyway, the cost is nothing.

Instead of money sitting in a bank account earning nothing, you have food in a bunker earning nothing.

(excluding the cost of your storage space)

I'm more a house in the woods/jungle kind of guy than an underground bunker kind of guy.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 7:53 AM, Crossy said:

No loo roll??

Madam keeps enough rice for the next century, freezer well stocked (will be topped up at Makro tomorrow). We won't starve.

Only got beer for a week though, have to re-stock tomorrow too.

O Good... MrsJ and myself will just pop round if we run out BUT I’m ‘reliably informed’ there won’t be a shortage.....????