Thailand to start COVID-19 vaccinations next month

webfact

6 hours ago, Percy P said:

China is almost back to normal. What vaccine do you think they have been using ,the UK one..

China will only vaccinate a small percentage of its people. Health care workers, customs officials etc. frontline workers. Maybe elderly as well, I don't know. I don't see why should we mass vaccinate the whole population when dealing with such a relatively mild virus. Just vaccinate the risk groups and continue with our lives. We don't mass vaccinate against the flu either and covid isn't any different for most people anyway. For children flu might actually be more dangerous.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Percy P said:

But what are they immunized  against .This is a new virus and the body immune system has to create antibodies to fight it should it get into the body . Wearing a mask and distancing stops spit from a third party landing on one.

Do you really want to wear a mask and social distance for the rest of your life? Go ahead, be my guest but I am not going to play with you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrfill said:

An interesting paper from Oxford Academics, published early December and titled "Efficacy and safety of COVID-19 vaccines in older people"  suggests that most of the vaccines have only done limited tested with over 60s.

https://academic.oup.com/ageing/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ageing/afaa274/6016483

I guess most vaccines work best with younger people. That's life, it only ends in one way for all of us anyway, just deal with it.

17 hours ago, TSF said:

I wholeheartedly agree, but got to get those vaccines out and into arms. Does Thailand have the license for AZ yet? If so the country's pharmaceutical companies should be operating 24/7.  

Not just any company. Agreement is with a company (Siam Biotech?) and AZ and not with Thai govt. A company needs to be set up for  it. You can"t just hand contracts to any company. There is a big difference between making aspirins and making a vaccine. Did you know this?

4 hours ago, rabang said:

China will only vaccinate a small percentage of its people. Health care workers, customs officials etc. frontline workers. Maybe elderly as well, I don't know. I don't see why should we mass vaccinate the whole population when dealing with such a relatively mild virus. Just vaccinate the risk groups and continue with our lives. We don't mass vaccinate against the flu either and covid isn't any different for most people anyway. For children flu might actually be more dangerous.

This "mild"virus causes a ton of bad side effects amongst all age groups, even if they just had mild or no symptoms. 

Even kids that most people normally think goes through this without problems.

Try and search for kids in Sweden that developed nasty side effects. 

13 hours ago, mrfill said:

An interesting paper from Oxford Academics, published early December and titled "Efficacy and safety of COVID-19 vaccines in older people"  suggests that most of the vaccines have only done limited tested with over 60s.

https://academic.oup.com/ageing/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ageing/afaa274/6016483

It doesn't matter what gets said or suggested. 

The only thing that matters is what the regulators say and are prepared to approve.

Entities in the UK are now pushing for students to be vaccinated but the approval only covers those over the age of 18.

It is the same here in Thailand, if Sinovac is only approved for those under 60 then the government is not going to overrule that approval, as is the case in Indonesia.

Of course approvals are not set in stone and can be updated as data becomes available.

please don't FORCE it onto children

I will even take my children out of school for this

66 death in a year... but everybody "needs" this, loooooooooooooooooo

so if there is another "new" virus, just need another shot, and another and another

how did humanity survive for 100.000+ YEARS

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

please don't FORCE it onto children

I will even take my children out of school for this

66 death in a year... but everybody "needs" this, loooooooooooooooooo

so if there is another "new" virus, just need another shot, and another and another

how did humanity survive for 100.000+ YEARS

...there is no vaccine, as yet, for anyone under 18 years of age.

9 hours ago, Letseng said:

Not just any company. Agreement is with a company (Siam Biotech?) and AZ and not with Thai govt. A company needs to be set up for  it. You can"t just hand contracts to any company. There is a big difference between making aspirins and making a vaccine. Did you know this?

..and guess whom owns SiamBiotech.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:28 AM, Natai Beach said:

Sensible decision, giving it to health workers first who are the highest risk of catching and spreading it, and people over 60 who are the highest risk of dying. I am happy to wait for my vaccine and have them vaccinated first.

It will upset the anti vaxxer, anti Chinese crowd on this forum but it is a huge positive step to getting back to normal.

I hope it is effective against the new UK highly infectious super covid mutant strain that has unfortunately now spread to Queensland and Perth in Australia.
If it is effective I can see this nightmare being over by the end of the year. The economy needs it.

Not only AU, 13 got of the plane in Singapore with Covid 1.1.1.7. 

Edited by chainarong

On 1/8/2021 at 11:33 AM, sandyf said:

It has already been stated in the UK that the only choice is take it or leave it, and as it will be free to the Thai population I suspect the same will apply.

However those that have to pay should be in a different position, as usual a question of wait and see what transpires.

As a registered patient receiving regular treatment for a heart condition I am hoping to get an offer from the hospital but would also be a bit hesitant with Sinovac. The Pfizer vaccine from China would be a different matter.

If you have a heart condition, then you should worry more about the Pfizer vaccine rather than the Sinovac vaccine because the incidence of anaphylaxis with this mRNA vaccine is 10x the rate compared to flu shots, but no cases of anaphylaxis have been reported with either Sinopharm or the Sinovac inactivated vaccines. 

19 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

I'm thinking 2 things. Sinovac hasn't published all there results (yet?) like the western pharma companies have. Trial info is limited at best. The other thing is that Sinovac has developed a classic vaccine containing inactivated virus. This is yesterday's technique and makes for less effective vaccines. I've seen numbers of around 70% effectiveness (assuming that's true) whereas the more cutting edge mRNA and DNA vaccines go well over 90% even among elderly people. I won't take the Sinovac vaccine for these 2 reasons.

Pfizer's mRNA vaccine on Asians have an efficacy rate of 74.4%. Who are supposed to take the vaccines that the Thai gov is importing anyway? You farangs?

19 minutes ago, Selatan said:

If you have a heart condition, then you should worry more about the Pfizer vaccine rather than the Sinovac vaccine because the incidence of anaphylaxis with this mRNA vaccine is 10x the rate compared to flu shots, but no cases of anaphylaxis have been reported with either Sinopharm or the Sinovac inactivated vaccines. 

Thanks for the heads up but I don't see the Pfizer coming into the picture as far as I am concerned.

Haven't seen much info on the 2 you mention, always thought that the AZ would be the more likely and be the one of choice being a tried and tested method so to speak.

I am not an anti vaxer by any means, had my arm filled up when I joined the RAF, but with the speed these have been approved, the old way may well be the best way.

14 hours ago, rabang said:

China is planning to vaccinate the 18-59 age group after the frontline workers so that they won't be able to catch and pass the disease back to their elderly parents or grandparents at home. Because elderly people don't go out that often.

10 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Pfizer's mRNA vaccine on Asians have an efficacy rate of 74.4%. Who are supposed to take the vaccines that the Thai gov is importing anyway? You farangs?

As far as I am aware there has been nothing confirmed about Thailand obtaining the Pfizer vaccine but with it being manufactured in China there is always the possibility.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Thanks for the heads up but I don't see the Pfizer coming into the picture as far as I am concerned.

Haven't seen much info on the 2 you mention, always thought that the AZ would be the more likely and be the one of choice being a tried and tested method so to speak.

I am not an anti vaxer by any means, had my arm filled up when I joined the RAF, but with the speed these have been approved, the old way may well be the best way.

Sinopharm''s and Sinovac's vaccines are of the inactivated type - which is the tried and tested vaccine type. Almost all the vaccines that we all have taken in our lives are of this type.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

As far as I am aware there has been nothing confirmed about Thailand obtaining the Pfizer vaccine but with it being manufactured in China there is always the possibility.

Yes, the Pfizer vaccine for the Asian market would be manufactured in China. Actually, this vaccine was not developed by Pfizer. It was developed by a German company called BioNTech. In March last year, Fosun International, a Chinese company, partnered with BioNTech to develop this vaccine, or rather Fosun provided some capital needed by BioNTech to do the research. In return, Fosun got some kind of exclusive marketing arrangement and maybe now a production arrangement as well because Fosun has a pharmaceutical arm.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Selatan said:

Yes, the Pfizer vaccine for the Asian market would be manufactured in China. Actually, this vaccine was not developed by Pfizer. It was developed by a German company called BioNTech. In March last year, Fosun International, a Chinese company, partnered with BioNTech to develop this vaccine, or rather Fosun provided some capital needed by BioNTech to do the research. In return, Fosun got some kind of exclusive marketing arrangement and maybe now a production arrangement as well because Fosun has a pharmaceutical arm.

Yes an arrangement that has not had a lot of publicity. A bit confusing as some of the vaccine being imported would be BioNTech-Pfizer and when manufactured in China become the BioNTech-Fosun vaccine.

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-12-30/exclusive-fosun-will-partner-with-germanys-biontech-to-make-covid-vaccine-in-china-101645084.html

16 hours ago, Selatan said:

Sinopharm''s and Sinovac's vaccines are of the inactivated type - which is the tried and tested vaccine type. Almost all the vaccines that we all have taken in our lives are of this type.

The AZ vaccine is based on the common cold vaccine so would be of the same type.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Selatan said:

The AstraZeneca vaccine is not the same type as the Sinopharm and Sinovac vaccines.

The AstraZeneca vaccine is an adenovirus vaccine. It uses a modified chimpanzee adenovirus to deliver a Sars-CoV-2 fragment.

Sinovac's vaccine uses the whole Sars-CoV-2 virus but inactivate it so that it could not replicate or cause disease.

COVID-19 vaccine tracker

Are you trying to say that an adenovirus vaccine, such as the flu vaccine, is not a vaccine that we have used all our lives.

A claim you made about the inactivated vaccine, without addressing other vaccines of the type we have used all our lives.

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to say that an adenovirus vaccine, such as the flu vaccine, is not a vaccine that we have used all our lives.

A claim you made about the inactivated vaccine, without addressing other vaccines of the type we have used all our lives.

Flu vaccines are mostly of the inactivated or the attenuated types.

Types of seasonal influenza vaccine

Other examples of inactivated vaccines: Polio (injected version), Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Cholera