Thailand to start COVID-19 vaccinations next month

webfact

40 minutes ago, MJ Patts said:

The only other option to non-Thais is to pay privately for it.... Like everything else we end up doing.

Me personally, if don't get it in UK, then if the chance arises, I would opt to get privately.

Same here. I already asked our Insurance and they will reimburse 100Euro per person for the Vaccine (but will gladly pay the rest if the 100 Euro doesn't cover it)

Already told my wife that I don't wanna go with that Chinese Vaccine and she thinks the same.

Edited by MJCM

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Dr. Opas said that for the first batch of the vaccine against COVID- 19 will be from Sinovac company to arrive in Thailand in one month ... อ่านต่อที่ : https://www.dailynews.co.th/politics/817537 

I can't read what you have posted but I would still say it is highly unlikely the Thai government will use a vaccine on part of the population it has not been approved for.

Sinovac trials were only conducted on healthy 18 - 59 year olds, unless there is an update on the approval then this sector may well have to wait.

" 900,000 people aged 60 or over or those with pre-existing health conditions."

22 minutes ago, PGSan said:

What is this hope based on? Is it realistic?

Would it be unrealistic not to expect a cardiologist to prescribe the best treatment for a patient, after all he recommends and prescribes other preventative measures.

I don't suppose they're going to include farangs living here in the free vaccination programme, so when will they approve the AstraZeneca vaccine and allow private hospitals to sell it to interested customers?

Edited by Guderian
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TSF said:

I thought they were given the AZ license, in which case Thailand can produce their own. 

What I read through an aggregation of Bangkok Post stories, Thailand has license to manufacture 200M doses of the AZ product. But most have been allocated to other nations. Thailand will get 30M of those AZ doses with perhaps more to follow in the future. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Guderian said:

I don;t suppose they're going to include farangs living here in the free vaccination programme, so when will they approve the AstraZeneca vaccine and allow private hospitals to sell it to interested customers?

I'm pretty sure the AZ shot has been approved here and the local manufacturing plant is ramping up production (why they didn't start months ago is unknown to me).

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I'm pretty sure the AZ shot has been approved here and the local manufacturing plant is ramping up production (why they didn't start months ago is unknown to me).

I seen in an article not long ago that it was only in Dec that AZ released the information required for other facilities to get started.

Apparently India, being a massive vaccine producer already, got up and running very quickly. At the end of the day these sort of projects are all about resources.

• Like 1

Vaccination medication has previously taken ten years to learn about full effects.

Anyway, Air will be back to normal pollution levels soon enough.

I've personally seen the death of the ocean's eco system-- from Australia up to Thailand over the past 30 years.

The ocean will be 100% acidic within another 20 years.

THEN ITS ALL OVER FOR OUR LIFE AS WE KNOW IT

WAY too late. The only way to stop the virus and to get the economy open is to vaccinate - ASAP. The Thai Gov't made a major miscalculation (as it turned out) by thinking COVID could be controlled until the local manufacture of the vaccine by the well connected Thai Pharma company could come up to speed...but COVID had other plans...now the only way to get this nipped in the bud is to buy sufficient vaccine to inoculate the population ASAP. 

• Like 1

Sinovac China still hasn't completed third stage testing or received Thai FDA approvals but the Thais are still ready to roll it out.. Without a thorough testing regime who does really know how safe this vaccine will be long term? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Unlikely.

Indonesia, which plans to begin mass inoculations with a vaccine developed by China’s Sinovac Biotech, says it does not have enough data yet of the vaccine’s efficacy on elderly people, as clinical trials underway in the country involves people aged 18-59.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-indonesia-explaine/why-indonesia-is-vaccinating-its-working-population-first-not-elderly-idUKKBN2990MX

Thai government bought 2 million doses of sinovac. It will be administered as it is first available here

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I seen in an article not long ago that it was only in Dec that AZ released the information required for other facilities to get started.

Apparently India, being a massive vaccine producer already, got up and running very quickly. At the end of the day these sort of projects are all about resources.

So it is you who does not have the language off pat.  So I apologize to you this time.

6 hours ago, TSF said:

That's what concerns me as I'm living in Thailand, I can't see anyone in positions of authority in this country doing what's right for the good of the population and the world in general.

The only reason Hydroxychoraquine is not available is that it is all going to what they view as the most important indispensable portion of the Thai population. What does that tell you about how they view their own people.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

This will be the  Chinese vaccine ( Sinovac Vaccine) 

Correct and it's amazing because the manufacturer says we do NOT recommend giving the vaccine to anyone 60 years or older as NO trials were done on that age group, yet the Thai govt. says they will get the first doses. Amazing Thailand. I'll pass, thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PGSan said:
6 hours ago, sandyf said:

The license is subject to conditions, quantity and destinations.

What are these?  Please inform us.

Hello there, Slave 644B!

Is this what you complained about in the wrong thread? 

So all those foreign illegal workers that have tested positive or are not yet showing infection but are quarantined, are the authorities here going to give them the vaccine or make them pay through the nose ? Same with us expats, some can afford to pay some cannot, that could be a big chunk of covid bombs roaming the country !!

I'm pretty sure that any non UK nationals stuck there would be offered the jab. Surely Humanitarian aid should be offered to all other wise there is no point, you don't break the chain.

Edited by Golden Triangle

1 hour ago, MJ Patts said:

Natai, your comment isn't actually accurate mate.. As you put it ''new UK highly infectious super covid mutant strain'' This strain wasn't born from the UK, it was found/discovered when people were being tested. It came from another country. 

This strain is also not new. It is still the same with the exception it spreads faster - no new symptoms.

You seem to speak more from hurt feelings about what I assume is 'your' country than about the actual situation and there is absolutely no need for that. Mutations happen all the time so it's only a matter of time for more contagious mutants to pop up all over the globe. This more contagious one was first encountered in the UK and as such is called the UK strain. It doesn't really matter where it came from but you can't simply say it came from outside because it could have come from literally everywhere on the globe and that includes the UK. Since it's more contagious and the UK is the first country with such a wide spread of this specific mutation it is only logical to conclude it probably came into existence in the UK.

Calling it a super covid mutant strain simply confuses perception to many people, such a thing that everyone is trying to avoid. Too many people these days are hell bent on causing un warranted panic and false reporting. Yes it has mutated, as most viruses do. Even the common cold virus (coronavirus) mutates all the time, the Flu virus (coronavirus) mutates all the time hence why flu vaccines are adapted all the time. 

It's almost impossible these days to prevent misconception about viruses. People make up their own theories all the time now. Technically this is a mutant and since it spreads faster (which seems to be the scientific consensus now) you could really call it a super mutant in the sense that it is making more people sick. It doesn't make sick people sicker but it does put more strain on medical services that our now receiving more patients than they probably would have without this sars-cov-2 mutant.

The South African strain has been shown to be a more transmissible variant. Different strains are now showing up in many countries all over the world, why?? Due to people still travelling around internationally without getting a negative RT-PCR test prior to flying. Fortunately UK border control has indicated this will now become the new protocol if you want to travel.

This should have happened a long time ago.  

Yes and no. I agree that those semi open borders aren't a good idea. On the other hand when millions of people are already sick in most countries then it's a matter of time for more contagious mutations to pop up everywhere, whether those borders are open or not.

• Like 2

It seems that it will be a while before the whole planet returns to normal life... It will be a year or two before most people will be vaccinated, and there is no telling what will happen in the poorer countries. The virus is mutating and it is not clear what will happen next. And when it started, we all thought that we would get off quickly.

Dr. Gilbert Berdine, associate professor of medicine at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, writes that he has yet to find a medical colleague who is willing to be among the first to take the experimental vaccine. Most say they want to review the safety data after a year or so of use before they’ll consider getting it.

“These colleagues are concerned about possible autoimmune side effects that may not appear for months after vaccination.”

Lets recall that COVID-19 mortality is extremely low outside of nursing homes, 99.7% of people recover. Those who actually understand what these rushed vaccines are about are not charging in to get jabbed, that honor goes to the ill informed that actually believe what the media tells them. The problem is that we are being assured by bureaucrats that the vaccines are safe, however with the limited testing done there is no possible way to know that. We are all rolling the dice.

41 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Correct and it's amazing because the manufacturer says we do NOT recommend giving the vaccine to anyone 60 years or older as NO trials were done on that age group, yet the Thai govt. says they will get the first doses. Amazing Thailand. I'll pass, thank you!

Yep, although i'm not an anti vaxxer, i would rather wait for the Oxford one.
I'm personally fine to "self quarantine" until that one is available  if need to be. 

Edited by Kaopad999

7 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Todays e mail, from May7th, yesterday. My parents got their forms to sign up for vaccinations, this month. Yes they are elderly. yet,... My brother's family will get theirs by mid february. They will have a follow up shot a month after the first inoculation. So it is cranking right along.

It would be nice if Thailand had a greater sense of urgency.

...so, only Thai Citizens are going to be vaccinated..foreigners/aliens have to arrange their own..??

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

The license is subject to conditions, quantity and destinations.

HOPEFULLY one of the conditions is to monitor quality CONTINUOUSLY

Just now, tandor said:

..so, only Thai Citizens are going to be vaccinated..foreigners/aliens have to arrange their own..??

That is in the US - and (correction) should read Jan7 which is the 8th, morning here because of the 12 hour time difference. So the geezer parents will have their shots this month. Brothers family (3 children) will get theirs in first part of February.

As for us expats here in Thailand, your guess is as good as mine.