Thailand to start COVID-19 vaccinations next month

webfact

8 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Sensible decision, giving it to health workers first who are the highest risk of catching and spreading it, and people over 60 who are the highest risk of dying. I am happy to wait for my vaccine and have them vaccinated first.

It will upset the anti vaxxer, anti Chinese crowd on this forum but it is a huge positive step to getting back to normal.

I hope it is effective against the new UK highly infectious super covid mutant strain that has unfortunately now spread to Queensland and Perth in Australia.
If it is effective I can see this nightmare being over by the end of the year. The economy needs it.

I just wanna go to the Moon

2 hours ago, PGSan said:
3 hours ago, BKKDon said:

Will foreigners be eligible to receive the vaccine, and if so how and where?

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

Thanks for asking: this is very important. 

Once every Thai in my immediate surroundings have been immunized (that means my whole village) and there are no signs of the virus in my province (which has been the case to date) I'll not bother about it. I can take or leave it.

If they want to give me one for free, that's fine. But one thing's for sure, I'll not pay a single baht more than my wife has to pay. If she gets hers for free, then I will expect to be treated the same.

• Like 1

three months to vaccinate a million, a population of around 70 million, 210 months (17.5 years) for the whole population. and is that to give both vaccinations? other wise it will be double the timescale.

i'm sure things will speed up once they get going.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I can't read what you have posted but I would still say it is highly unlikely the Thai government will use a vaccine on part of the population it has not been approved for.

Sinovac trials were only conducted on healthy 18 - 59 year olds, unless there is an update on the approval then this sector may well have to wait.

" 900,000 people aged 60 or over or those with pre-existing health conditions."

An interesting paper from Oxford Academics, published early December and titled "Efficacy and safety of COVID-19 vaccines in older people"  suggests that most of the vaccines have only done limited tested with over 60s.

https://academic.oup.com/ageing/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ageing/afaa274/6016483

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

The license is subject to conditions, quantity and destinations.

We ALL know they change their minds every single day of the year! A new day, a new headline! It's the small price we pay for enjoying what I consider heaven on earth.

However hopefully if we remind them enough, that vaccines will not only protect us all but it will help to regenerate the tourist and local economy QUICKLY! 

Then maybe they will spend the baht to bring in the baht

14 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

They just rolled out the vaccine literally 40 or so days ago.  

COVID is going to be with us for a long long time.  Your wait for the vaccine will be a long long time or a long long long time.  

Grab a coffee and relax.  

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Once every Thai in my immediate surroundings have been immunized (that means my whole village) and there are no signs of the virus in my province (which has been the case to date) I'll not bother about it. I can take or leave it.

If they want to give me one for free, that's fine. But one thing's for sure, I'll not pay a single baht more than my wife has to pay. If she gets hers for free, then I will expect to be treated the same.

But there Governments is spending a vast amount of tax payers money on the vaccines, so surely the Thai.people should be having it free. I don't mind . You my say one pays taxes but the vast amount of foreign er don't. Are they to be included  in the free vaccination.

Vaccinating 7 billion  is a most monumental task. Doing it before this virus mutates to negate this vaccine is almost impossible. I read it has mutated 2 times a month do far and as these cases have risen surely do has the mutation rate.  I read a snippet of a mutation that they worry could effect the efficacy of this vaccine. 

It does seem like Thailand didn't plan very well.  They obviously thought they could keep it out of Thailand and we're planning on opening up tourism.  They didn't think, hey, if our country is vaccinated it will make us a safe tourist destination.  Instead subs and crazy visa ideas.  No talk of quick vaccine.  No real help for people.  They thought they could make it fast because they think they are some medical excellence hub.  Maybe cute nurses who care

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rancid said:

Dr. Gilbert Berdine, associate professor of medicine at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, writes that he has yet to find a medical colleague who is willing to be among the first to take the experimental vaccine. Most say they want to review the safety data after a year or so of use before they’ll consider getting it.

“These colleagues are concerned about possible autoimmune side effects that may not appear for months after vaccination.”

Lets recall that COVID-19 mortality is extremely low outside of nursing homes, 99.7% of people recover. Those who actually understand what these rushed vaccines are about are not charging in to get jabbed, that honor goes to the ill informed that actually believe what the media tells them. The problem is that we are being assured by bureaucrats that the vaccines are safe, however with the limited testing done there is no possible way to know that. We are all rolling the dice.

If we are not to believe the bureaucrats, the media and obviously, China, WHO and the Thai government who shall we believe? My answer is simple, I read all of this and the experts on this forum and I am left with a distinct, "I don't know" - and I don't pretend to know!

32 minutes ago, Percy P said:

But there Governments is spending a vast amount of tax payers money on the vaccines, so surely the Thai.people should be having it free. I don't mind . You my say one pays taxes but the vast amount of foreign er don't. Are they to be included  in the free vaccination.

Foreigners pay tax here too. Every time we spend we pay VAT. I probably pay more tax than anyone else in our village. Why should I not be treated equally? 

But their Government have spent a vast amount of tax payers money on obtaining the vaccine with taxpayers money so wouldn't they expect the injection free,. One my be paying taxes them selves but theres millions of foreigners who dont.. Should they be given the vaccine free at the Thais expense.

But their Government have spent a vast amount of tax payers money on obtaining the vaccine with taxpayers money so wouldn't they expect the injection free,. One my be paying taxes them selves but theres millions of foreigners who dont.. Should they be given the vaccine free at the Thais expense.

4 minutes ago, JNASHDDS said:

Does anyone know if expats living in Thailand will be eligible to receive the covid-19 vaccine, or will it only be made available to Thai citizens?

That has yet to be announced. But hey, does it really matter? Once 70% of the (indigenous) population have been vaccinated we should, so they say, reach herd immunity. Therefor us foreigners will be protected anyway.

Do you have access to official channels about this?

1. reaching a theoretical level of herd immunity for covid is still unknown - depending on that is a roll of the dice

2. if that occurs it will take awhile and you will be vulnerable until that occurs and perhaps after 

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Foreigners pay tax here too. Every time we spend we pay VAT. I probably pay more tax than anyone else in our village. Why should I not be treated equally? 

Well the Government can't cater for individuals . Yes there's a vast amount of retirees who have deposited  thousand of Baht in the Bank all paying 15% tax on interest. They. sould be included in a free jab.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

China is almost back to normal. What vaccine do you think they have been using ,the UK one..

Its a very fragile normality:

Chinese city near Beijing stops people from leaving as coronavirus cases spike — like Wuhan did last year 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/china-locks-down-part-of-province-outside-beijing-as-coronavirus-cases-spike.html

16 minutes ago, JNASHDDS said:

Do you have access to official channels about this?

1. reaching a theoretical level of herd immunity for covid is still unknown - depending on that is a roll of the dice

2. if that occurs it will take awhile and you will be vulnerable until that occurs and perhaps after 

The last paragraph of the article said:

'The third phase of vaccinations will begin in early 2022 and will see 70% of the general population vaccinated so that herd immunity can be developed'.

But personally, I have never felt vulnerable here anyway. I live in the safest part of one of the safest countries in the world. If they want to give a jab, that's fine, I'm not an anti-vaxxer. But I can take it or leave it.

18 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That has yet to be announced. But hey, does it really matter? Once 70% of the (indigenous) population have been vaccinated we should, so they say, reach herd immunity. Therefor us foreigners will be protected anyway.

But the body immune system can only create antibodies to fight the virus.if the Virus is put into one's body first.. Living to hygienic can be another problem for the immune system.

3 hours ago, Percy P said:

And.. What are you getting at.

I'm thinking 2 things. Sinovac hasn't published all there results (yet?) like the western pharma companies have. Trial info is limited at best. The other thing is that Sinovac has developed a classic vaccine containing inactivated virus. This is yesterday's technique and makes for less effective vaccines. I've seen numbers of around 70% effectiveness (assuming that's true) whereas the more cutting edge mRNA and DNA vaccines go well over 90% even among elderly people. I won't take the Sinovac vaccine for these 2 reasons.

• Like 2

Yes lets sacrifice all the healthcare workers with another vaccine scandal ????

Without them we can walk around on the streets stabbing each other with the AstraZaneca vaccine. Thrillingly exciting.

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The last paragraph of the article said:

'The third phase of vaccinations will begin in early 2022 and will see 70% of the general population vaccinated so that herd immunity can be developed'.

But personally, I have never felt vulnerable here anyway. I live in the safest part of one of the safest countries in the world. If they want to give a jab, that's fine, I'm not an anti-vaxxer. But I can take it or leave it.

Same with me ,where I live I only see passing traffic, locals are very few..

In Bkk at the moment came to see  the family I've been assisting financially. Both parents temporally laid off work..  Percy P

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

But what are they immunized  against .This is a new virus and the body immune system has to create antibodies to fight it should it get into the body . Wearing a mask and distancing stops spit from a third party landing on one.

4 hours ago, Blumpie said:

They just rolled out the vaccine literally 40 or so days ago.  

COVID is going to be with us for a long long time.  Your wait for the vaccine will be a long long time or a long long long time.  

Grab a coffee and relax.  

Versions of the Spanish Flue (H1H1) still exist. No, they don't go anywhere. Generally, they just mutate and become more mild. 

10 hours ago, MJ Patts said:

The only other option to non-Thais is to pay privately for it.... Like everything else we end up doing.

Me personally, if don't get it in UK, then if the chance arises, I would opt to get privately.

There is a shortage of all Covid vaccines. Available vaccines are being purchased by Governments for their  nationals most at risk. If your DOB correct you are unlikely to get the vaccine in the UK until 2022